Nape area

KAddy

OK, so I am trying to get my nape back to health. So I am relaxing every other time. My question to you ladies is, where exactly does the nape end? I mean how far up does it go? Is this area my nape or should I go higher? (I am relaxing tomorrow) Oh yeah, ignore the bee-d-bees. :lol:

Picture215-vi.jpg

01.gif

you know what, i'm wondering the same thing! my nape is shaped just like yours and i HATE mine because it goes lower, i'm trying to get it edged up tomorrow.

This looks like the nape area. It can be this high or lower.

As for me, all that is broken off from past abuse (like tying a scarf in the same spot) I'm treating as my nape. I've been transitioning mine since earlier last year.

Thanks ladies. My nape are is broken off underneath the little longer section. I was thinking only to not relax that section, but I figured if I added a little of the longer section, it would be easier.

sweetpeadst said:
Why I have been waiting to see your progress, Soror Phyto?

:lachen:

I have just been chilling. I was going to do it last night but I was home with my stepson and niece so that was out (they kept laughing and trying to show me dances...kids :confused: :lol:

This morning I was up at 6:30 trying to clean up then I went out the house to get some more groceries for the snow we got today and just have been kind of lazy. I will probably relax in the next hour or so.

Hey Kaddy...I know the feeling...stuck indoors, nothing to do. Today will be a full-on "pamper me" day. I still relax my nape, I just make sure to moisturize it a little more than the other parts of my hair. I don't know why it tends to get drier than the rest...maybe because that's where my collars are always rubbing. But I haven't had a problem with breakage since I started caring about that area a little more :)

Hugs,
Crys

Hey Kaddy,

My nape recovered really well after almost a year of TLC. I consider the nape much more than just the little hairs at the neck. Take a look at this picture:

http://public.fotki.com/SouthernGirlz/2005_hair_journey/30_day_surge_challenge/img_1622.html

The texture of my hair here is different than the rest of the hair on my head, as you can tell in the pic. All my hair was airdried loose that day, but the nape area is the only part that comes out wavy like this, so it is growing.

I only relax this area 1/2 as frequently as I do the rest, and for less time (about 5 minutes). It will grow, just give it lots of moisture and TLC!!

Mocha, what do you use to moisturize your nape?

SG, If you had to measure the section that you show how much would it be? Mine is almost 3 inches. THis section of my hair, similar to you, has a different texture.Since I started using Sta Sof Fro I have been able to keep it pretty moist. I plan on relaxing about 1/2 as much as I do the rest as well.

Hmmm...I guess that "moisturize" is a misnomer. Maybe I should have said "lubricate" against the friction of my collar and such? When I wash and rollerset, I usually keep that area wetter than the rest and use mango butter and indian hemp oil to lock it in while it's drying. I've been doing my S8 and glovers every night on my scalp only, but I also take care to oil my ends and the nape in particular with the indian hemp oil. I'm considering changing to castor oil for the nape (because it's a little thicker). I haven't had breakage issues, and it seems to be growing well with the rest of my hair :)

I agree with southerngirl. I too leave the relaxer on my nape area for less time. And sometimes I skip this area all together! I put the relaxer on my nape and hairline last... and never no longer than 4 minutes! The problem for me was that my nape was overprocessed for years, and it just kept pn breaking, now I don't have that problem anymore!

KAddy said:
Mocha, what do you use to moisturize your nape?

SG, If you had to measure the section that you show how much would it be? Mine is almost 3 inches. THis section of my hair, similar to you, has a different texture.Since I started using Sta Sof Fro I have been able to keep it pretty moist. I plan on relaxing about 1/2 as much as I do the rest as well.

Okay, off to take a measurement... be right back!

lovechic I think my nape has been overprocessed for years too. Plus, you know how salons have that sink and you lean against it. I realized that some weren't wiping it off so the relaxer was "marinating" back there and eating my hair away. This is the main reason I am not going to relax it this time

Well, I can't find my ruler, but it's about an inch longer than my full-size tube of Crest Whitening toothpaste :lol:

I'm thinking, maybe 10 inches or so? The thickness of it that I pull out to nurture is about 2 inches from the bottom of my nape. Here's how I got it to grow:

1) Stopped relaxing so much and for so long
2) Added WGO to scalp and hair every few days
3) Surge
4) TLC :)

SouthernGirl said:
Well, I can't find my ruler, but it's about an inch longer than my full-size tube of Crest Whitening toothpaste :lol:

I'm thinking, maybe 10 inches or so? The thickness of it that I pull out to nurture is about 2 inches from the bottom of my nape. Here's how I got it to grow:

1) Stopped relaxing so much and for so long
2) Added WGO to scalp and hair every few days
3) Surge
4) TLC :)

:grin: Thanks SG. But um, I think I described what I was asking incorrectly. :look: I was really trying to see how high up (I think that is what I am asking :p ) your nape area extends. Like from the bottom part (on the neck) to where?

Thanks again.

I've got U Soror. That's the 2 inches I mentioned that I pull out. I make a part 2 inches above my nape hairline (from ear-to-ear). I consider this whole area my nape and I treat it differently than the rest of my hair.

It's good for me to extend up a bit higher, because past relaxers really messed up this section of my hair. I also keep it trimmed so it's even, and all of the old chemical ends will eventually be gone.

Thank girlie!
kalos08.gif

Well, I think I am going to go relax now...see you ladies later and I will definitely post the pics.
07.gif

I'm waiting I'm excited to see how much new growth you have had in 12 weeks (i think that is right) b/c that is how long it has been for me!

SouthernGirl said:
Oh- I forgot... I've never tried this, but someone told me that Nexxus Vitatress Biotin Creme grew back their nape.

Ummm. I forgot about this...I have some of this in the cabinet. Maybe I ought to challenge myself to correct my nape area. I have some short hair back there. :(

mrslee said:
Ummm. I forgot about this...I have some of this in the cabinet. Maybe I ought to challenge myself to correct my nape area. I have some short hair back there. :(

It's supposed to be EXCELLENT! Please use it. I think it goes on the scalp and the hair. Let me know if it works. I may buy some!

SouthernGirl said:
It's supposed to be EXCELLENT! Please use it. I think it goes on the scalp and the hair. Let me know if it works. I may buy some!

Thanks SG! When I bought it months ago, I was mixing it with hair grease and other things. I will use it straight for back there and see what happens. Will keep you informed! Time to take another pic!

My nape awhile ago was BAD because stylists were letting it stay on because my neck would be in the bowl and they wouldn't wash and neutralize it good AT ALL! Happily my nape is back and longer than ever thanks to me going natural; I too plan to do my nape a shorter time when I self-relax. I've also been thinking about maybe relaxing the middle to back of my hair before I relax the top half because the textures are different, I get more breakage from waiting in the back versus the front/top.

DSD chiming in a little late. Better late than never though.

I have had the exact same problem with my nape area every since I can remember. My hair is doing well now and I finally have some hair back there.

I consider the nape the that area(which is about 2 inches up from your back hairline)that starts at those little knots on each side behind your ears. Did I explain that right or did I confuse everyone more??

I don't relax back there as long as others stated. I relax it last and only leave it on for about five minutes. As others stated that area is a different texture than the rest of my hair and is actually a lot finer and softer too.

Moisturizing and oils, low or no manipulation has gotten me this far. I still have had a couple of setbacks but I am going strong.

It looks to me that you have your nape parted just right!! Good Luck on getting it back to health!!

Back