Relaxed ladies: How do you care for your nape hair?

sunnieb

Do you do anything special?

About a two years ago, I started really paying attention to my nape. As a bone straight relaxer, I worry breakage back there.

Well here's my nape before relaxing last Saturday. I can't believe it's so long! When I started my HHJ, I think I had about 1/2 inch of damaged hair back there.

I moisturize my nape 2x a day with ORS Carrrot Oil and Neutrogena Triple Moisture. Looks like it worked for me.

What do you do to maintain nape health?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using LHCF

Attachments

• Nape March 2015.jpg
    Nape March 2015.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

InBloom

In my new-growth
I am restarting a relaxed hair journey after being on hiatus for a while. Last year I had a lot of stress and my hair suffered. I cut my hair to a pixie, and then maintained it for months. I am now growing it out and looking to do better about my nape and edges.

Can't say I see a huge difference, but I do see some improvements.

When I deep condition on wet hair, I slather a thick coating of jbco directly on the perimeter of my hairline in the front and also directly in the center of the back of my head at the nape. I let my conditioner and jbco edges sit for 30 minutes under a plastic cap. When I rinse out the conditioner, I let water run over the edges and nape too but allow some of it to simply remain. This way, jbco is still kinda a thin residue at my trouble areas. I style as usual.

I also learned from lhcf to skip relaxing the edges and nape every other relaxer day. On the days I include the nape and edges, I make sure to hit those areas absolutely last.

As my hair grows this time around, I intend to be gentler with how I care for edges/nape. So far, so good.

sunnieb

I'm enjoying my freshly relaxed hair for a few weeks, but I'll go back to bunning after that.

I love the high buns, but I think I tend to put too much stress on my nape to achieve the look. I might try some lower bunning styles with barely any pulling against my nape.

Rozlewis

I baby my nape and edges. I moisturize and seal the nape in the morning and in the evening everyday. For moisture I use Annabelle's hair cream or pudding and then I will seal with JBCO or Grape Seed oil. When I texlax I only leave relaxer on those areas for the last 5 mins of the relaxing process. I wear loose low buns 90% of the time.

CodeRed

I'm enjoying my freshly relaxed hair for a few weeks, but I'll go back to bunning after that.

I love the high buns, but I think I tend to put too much stress on my nape to achieve the look. I might try some lower bunning styles with barely any pulling against my nape.

Thanks for that. I put my hair up so much and I think I'm actually doing my nape favors by not putting it/pulling from the nape...but I'm not lol.. I do loose updos but I'm still putting strain on that area...

Currently I'm babying it with castor oil. It seems to be working... That area is growing and getting longer.

bklynbornNbred

When I was fully relaxed I learned to put relaxer on nape last instead of first.

If I rollerset my hair to dry I wouldn't touch that that area with flat iron even if i did rest of my head just brush it into wrap. Basically leave it alone. I was so oblivious to how long my nape had gotten that I still remember pain of cutting it up when I was removing braids. I just hadn't realized that that section had grown so long. This was before LHCF.

shiney_sapphire

Mine just broke off pretty bad. I ended cutting approx 3-4 inches off the rest of my head due to frustration. I am going back to Paul Mitchell products. My hair did the best with it so I'm just going to stick to that.