Natruals: Do you have a problem with your ends?

honeybadgirl said:
it may be the way it is but my question or observation is, why can my friend (the one i mentioned prior)and me BEFORE i saturated my ends with moisturizers have/had no frizzy ends:confused: :confused: :confused:
i just think theres a direct relation, cause.
my question is, does natural hair need special or different care than chemically processed hair?

Yes natural hair needs different care than relaxed hair, but not all natural hair needs the same type of care. We all have to figure out what works best for OUR hair regardless to whether it's natural or relaxed. In my case, moisturizing and sealing my ends with castor oil only when I wash my hair works best. That's also the only time I comb my hair. When I wear my hair pressed, I have to alter my routine slightly.:)

Thank you ladies for looking out, all your suggestions I believe could be helpful. I am beginning to think that I need to experiment with new products...just when I thought I had my staples. Maybe I need a heavier moisturizer rather than oil alone :scratchch.
I will also dry my hair first then apply my products. Usually I apply my products while hair is very wet.
I really appreciate all your advice :kiss:.

Yes!!! I really have major problems with my ends. It doesn't matter how much I wash my hair and use a serum, my end are still frizzy instead of smooth. I suppose the best thing to do is get them trimmed off, but the frizziness is about two to three inches. If I get that cut off, my hair will be really short.

I thought I had frizzy ends until I found the Maxiglide. I was natural at the time and straightening my hair was like "huh?" but the Maxiglide changed all of that. My hair straightened (ends included) like butter baby.

I didn't read all the pages of this post, so please excuse me if someone mentioned this early on.

Oh and also using a straightening serum like Paul Mitchell's silky straight or Loreal Blow Straight Lotion made a world of difference.

When I straighten I have a problem with frizzy ends. My stylist always takes alot off, but she also told me, curly hair just gets like that. It's nnot a huge problem for me because I rarely straighten my hair and when I do I usually only wear it bone straight for a day and then start wearing bantu knot outs, or braidouts, and that hides the weird ends. also usually the first day I straighten even when I had relaxed hair my hair would be big and crazy, especially the ends, so I just give it a good wrap and moisturizing changes everything, and the next day I'm back in business. I don't have too much of a problem with split ends, it's just that the ends don't get as straight as the shaft of my hair, which isn't so bad. When my hair starts splitting then I go on an S&D for them , and start babying my ends with baggying etc. It's an uphill battle though:look:

Yeah, my ends are frizzy when I straighten. Trimming helped for a while, but not long.
They are probably just damaged, but not damaged enough to look bad when it's curly.

So, I've stopped trimming, and stopped straightening :D

;) No , I think its because once per month I put my hair in 40 little two strand twists and dust each one(remove all the little tails:) ) . I use coconut oil mixed with castor oil every day no matter what style, I use twists, wash and go's, as my protective styles. I use to flat iron once every month up to the end of 2006. I have only flat ironed once in 2007 for my B day.

hope some of the tips help

I am transitioning now, but when I was natural before I got my hair pressed weekly for about a year and my hair would press out straight, then again I have easy hair to press. If the ends were in need of a trim she did so but that was not that often. The ceramic flat iron was my best friend, my hair dresser uses a chi (which i am going to purchase). My suggestion would be try revising how you are pressing. Are you using a hot comb or flat iron. Maybe your ends need another run through. Or maybe as some have mentioned you are over moisturizing. Since my hair is in protective styles and curly I don't know what is going on with all my baggying and things, but I can tell that they are definitely well moisturized and I like that feeling. I would alter your regiment a little and go from there. Im sure you will find your answer without constantly trimming your ends.

Could part of the problem be that most naturals don't trim OFTEN and all of the ends different lengths? :confused:

If you straighten strands that are all slightly differnt lengths, then it will never look as smooth as hair that is kept cut blunt.

I'm just curious if your hair really full of split ends with such great haircare?

I would have to admit that my ends can tend to be frizzy, if I use my sedu and put serum (biosilk and chi silk) on my hair concentrating on the ends and this will smooth them out considerably. I find that baggying with leave in then sealing with caster oil also helps to smooth out my ends. Also I find that the ends may look frizzy up close but from far away they look just fine. Skipping on serious trims is the main reason my hair is now waist length so I wouldn’t recommend always trimming off frizzy ends. I S&D them once every 4 months or so and then get a professional trim once a year.

I had the same problem, I trimmed my ends:( my daily style is an afro, so my ends are pretty much always exposed. I've decided to braid my hair up, I might even do so during the summer.

My ends are frizzy as well. I had some major split ends, so last weekend I sectioned my hair and trimmed my ends of individually (I didn't want to cut my whole hair because I am growing it out). My ends feel a lot better now - they are not rough any more, but they smoothen out. To the eye, they *look* kind of rough though. It drives me mad!!

lyphe said:
I am so frustrated and starting to wonder why this keeps happening :confused:. Okay, let me first start off saying that I baggie, use Alma oil overnight and extra saturate my ends with coconut oil. I bun, twist and braid my hair most of the time so my ends are rarely exposed. So, here is my problem. Whenever I straighten my hair my ends are shot. My ends look dry and frizzy. I do get my ends trimmed regularly. The last trim I got I had to get about an inch off due to frizz & split ends :whyme:. I just do not know what I could do to fix this. All I want is for my ends to look healthy when I decided to wear it straight. Do any of you natural ladies have this problem? If so, what have you done to improve the condition of your ends? I am tired of trimming so much of my hair. At this rate, I will never really acheive BSL...and I am so close.

Ladies please help

I am so glad you brought this up. I just chopped some inches because of dryness, as well as evening up.

• I wash once a week.
  • Always moisturize daily, I use my spritz of veg glycerine mix which btw hydrates very well. My ends at that time are moisturized.
I do admit I need to clip them a 'little' more often. Which I will do. But I think the ends rebel when we do not straightened that often. Meaning they are used to being curly and want to stay that way. Theyare dry because they are away from the scalp. But with all the moisturizing I do not think the dry brittleness should occur. That is the enigma of it all.

Maybe we can search and find out what the deal is...

Tsipy

Mahalialee4 said:
This is what works everytime for me:
Part hair into about 6 sections. Put sections in ponytails. Dampen the ponytails. Use med. to large size rollers and roll upward. Leave rollers in till hair is totally dry. Apply tiny bit of oil. repeat the process. Do this for about 3 days. My ends are no longer dry or crinkly. I do this only when I am having this proble. The other key is to make sure your ends are smoothed out by dampening your ends lightly before you pin them up. If they go up dry and crinkly that is exactly how they will come down. So PLAN your smooth ends in advance. Hope this helps someone. bonjour

Mahalia,

What size rollers do you use? I will try this.

seraphim712 said:
Yes!!! I really have major problems with my ends. It doesn't matter how much I wash my hair and use a serum, my end are still frizzy instead of smooth. I suppose the best thing to do is get them trimmed off, but the frizziness is about two to three inches. If I get that cut off, my hair will be really short.

Seraphim,

Mine was the same way. The last 2-3 inches were simply CRAZY!! They weren't breaking but they were the driest stuff! I just got rid of the a short time ago. I do feel better but I will just have to look out for the craziness again and stop it in its tracks. I will try Mahalilee's rollerset on the ends and TIGI Ego Boost and see what happens.

Back