Natural 4b Course Haired One In Search of New Tools / Techniques to Eliminate a Step

dlove

I meant COARSE hairs--I have a 5 year old Solia ceramic flat iron, a Hot Tools electric straightening comb, and a 1 -2 year old walmart -select pro gold with "tourmaline" (yeah, right for $15.00) hand held dryer.

I am ready to upgrade. I dont want to use the electric straightening comb anymore. However; I really thought I had to, before flat ironing to smooth silky straight results. I've read here where others do the same. When I go to a salon I get the flat iron only.

I learning to use the tension method to dry to avoid a million ends snapping off during drying.

Your tried and true input? Thanks

Last edited:

dlove

Re: Natural 4b Course Haired One In Search of New Tools / Techniques to Eliminate a S

Mods, Please spell course in the title coarse correctly for me..I apologize for any confusion.

PPGbubbles

Re: Natural 4b Course Haired One In Search of New Tools / Techniques to Eliminate a S

Tension is Key! and the Comb chase doesnt work and well for my hair.... I actually use a soft bristles boar brush to chase my flat iron and when I do that I do not need to use a pressing comb.

this is a new technique I started using and it works wonders for my kinks.

Last edited:

Ms Lala

I've had good results w/the Maxiglide(with teeth if you want it bone straight) and with the Babyliss w/com w/removable comb . I used the Babyliss in the pic below, it's been years but I know it worked really well and left my hair shiny. I like the maxiglide but notice it doesnt' leave my hair as shiny. I am considering buying another Babyliss, it works really well but I lost the comb. I will say that your hair must be VERY WELL DETANGLED before using the teeth on the Maxiglide. The pic in my siggy is the Maxiglide w/o teeth. I tend to get splits when I use the teeth and end up having to trim. Also use minimal product in your hair to keep it from being too weighed down or puffing up.

Attachments

• straighthair.jpg
    straighthair.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 26

dlove

^^^Nice beautiful hair!

nikolite

I just recently flat ironed my hair. I have a very basic and cheap flat iron (I think it was $20 when I first bought it long ago), but I think the key to a great flat iron is very moisturized hair beforehand with closed cuticles and the CHI Silk Infusion that I used as a heat protectant.

So after I washed and deep conditioned my hair (with moisturizing shampoo and DC'ed for 1 hour w/ body heat), I added Kimmay's leave in to seal in the moisture and close my cuticles with a lower pH. Then I ponytail rollersetted my hair and let it air dry that way, which stretched it just as good as a blow dryer but kept it soft, cool and shiny. Then I added the CHI silk generously before I flat ironed. I only needed to use 1 pass with iron per section. I also made sure to lightly comb out each piece and instead of chasing with a comb, I used the tension method by pulling my hair taut and following my fingers with the iron. This worked as good as using a comb but without the snapping and breakage. HTH!

dlove

I have decided to buy a babyliss dryer and a ghd flat iron. Anyone else with that combo? or that dryer or that ghd flat iron and love it?