Natural hair and Flat Ironing

Stationwagon

I am about 3 years natural and have recently started to go to a salon to have my hair flatironed once a week. I love it because my hair is so soft now and I can finally comb it. Should I be worried about breakage? So far I haven't seen any.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks - Adrienne

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I am so in violation of bootcamp rules..... but in response to your post I'm on my 2nd week of once a week flatironing....I got the idea of using Aveda DR from Pink Skates to avert any future damage from using heat....for me so far so good. :look:

LadyPaniolo

Great question! I'm really interested in the responses, cuz I'll be flatironing once every few months for the next two years. I don't think doing it that rarely will damage my hair, but after I finish the Crown & Glory Challenge I'll likely be flatironing as often as 1x or 2x a month. (DH loves that silky straight look).

I read that Vitapointe has protective qualities against heat.
Anyone else use this during flatironing?

Stationwagon

My stylist uses BioSilk (see picture) to protect my hair. So far it has been working.

I use the hair spray as well and my hair stays soft and shiny for a week.

MissMusic

Glad you asked this question because my sister is going to try this for awhile because she does not want a texturizer. Great question!

Dak

I've just started flat ironing my hair after wearing my hair curly for many years. If I see any damage, I plan to stop, but so far so good.

I'm using KMS flat out to roller set my hair first, then I run a flat iron through keeping the sections I use very small.

rabs77

Adrienne72 said:
I am about 3 years natural and have recently started to go to a salon to have my hair flatironed once a week. I love it because my hair is so soft now and I can finally comb it. Should I be worried about breakage? So far I haven't seen any.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks - Adrienne

Hi Adrienne...
I have been natural for about 4 years now. I press my hair myself about once every 2/3 months. I use BIOSILK too when I press my hair. The rest of the time I just wear my hair in a wash and go or flexirod set. In my opinion, flat ironing once a week may be too often. If there is one thing I have learnt from LHCF it's not to add heat to the hair too often. HTH :)

Suerte

Adrienne72 said:
My stylist uses BioSilk (see picture) to protect my hair. So far it has been working.

^^^ That stuff is HEAVENLY. But make sure to buy it at a salon... I used to buy it from Target, and after buying some at a salon sale... I'm questioning on whether or not the stuff at Target is legit.

This guy used it...and blew my hair STRAIGHT with a vent brush. And I *so* don't have that hair type that does that. I went ahead and got it flat ironed anyways...but I probably coulda had a similar result had I just wrapped it.

To the OP... once a week kinda seems like a lot of heat, especially if you're blowdrying too. If it works for you, please share because I really prefer straight hair. But when you're natural, and get it straightened... it has this silkiness and sheen and body that is unbelievable. I just refuse to perm my hair ever in life.

PinkSkates

From my experience, as long as I use preventative maintenance, (using Aveda Damage Remedy) on my hair to combat possible heat damage, my hair does just fine. I have been pressing my own hair for a few years now and I have no problems. My hair is the healthiest its ever been and whenever it gets wet it immediately reverts to its nappy, kinky state; which is a beautiful thing.

ina

A few years ago I used to get a press twice a month. My hair was doing good and I remember my stylist telling me that it was the maximum amount of time she would do it( in a month) on her clients because if done more often the heat could change the texture of the hair and damage it.

But, everybody's hair is different so as long as you don't see something you don't like, keep doing what pleases you:)

meaganita

When I was relaxed I used to get my hair done once a week at the salon. Now that I'm natural, I think heat every 2 weeks is about as far as I would go. But I still think that as long as you're taking care of your hair it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Good luck with that!:)

EMJazzy

Happily retired
Adrienne72 said:

I use that as well....it's expensive as all get out but it does make my hair feel silky. :love:

I also use a heat protectant by Maxius, I'm going to see if I can find a pic, if not then I'll take a pic of the bottle I have at my house.

ETA: Here's the pic of the other heat protectant that I have/use.

Last edited: