Natural Hair Bullies??

This week natural hair has been on my mind.. These are not comments from others but comments from women within our own natural hair community..

Today I saw an article on http://www.curlynikki.com discussing her new love for hair grease and how she was kind of hesitant and felt the need to plead her case to all the natural hair police...

The products that she uses or that I choose to use is our on personal preference. Either you decide to try the product or not.. But there is a line between trying to educate someone and just being ignorant and mean..

So I thought I would just record my personal rant..

CHECK OUT MY VIDEO: http://youtu.be/qNRD6zZxSfE

So share your experiences with me.. Oh yea don't forget to subscribe!!

naturalmanenyc

I feel you. I have felt something similar over the last few days. I wore a relaxer for many years and I wore weave for several years. I have used keratin treatments at least 9 times.

None of that means that I was projecting self-hate or trying to hide my ethnicity by wearing my hair straight.

I love my natural hair and I do not think that I will relax again in the future but I am not knocking anyone else who decides to relax, color, use sulfates (I use them), use products with mineral oil, use BKT.

Now if I were to bleach my skin, buy blue contacts, only wear blonde hair and have my nose made thinner.....then maybe I could be accused of having some self-hate issues.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
yeah, I know what you mean, OP. At the end of the day you just have to do what works for you. It's kinda funny, I remember watching this video on youtube where the woman basically rediscovered vaseline for her hair. Her mom had used it on her hair when she was younger with no problems and so she decided to try it again. I can't remember if it was comments on her vid or on here where ppl were like, "that sounds like a bad idea, you shouldn't do that". Now all of these ppl use it and no one even gives it a second thought. And it's more than what products you use; it's also how you do things. Most ppl like to work in sections when applying products or detangling; I don't. It doesn't mean I'm doing it wrong, I'm just doing what works for me. The only time I really work in sections is when I'm shampooing or deep conditioning. And I also lightly scratch my scalp when I shampoo lol don't shoot me. It feels good, and again, it works for me.

hair4romheaven

Yup, I call it seperation by any means. 4z vs 3b, BC vs transitioners, relax vs natural and the old time fav light vs dark this list goes on. I know my statement is bold but its MHO.

RocStar

naturalbeautyqween

This week natural hair has been on my mind.. These are not comments from others but comments from women within our own natural hair community..

Today I saw an article on http://www.curlynikki.com discussing her new love for hair grease and how she was kind of hesitant and felt the need to plead her case to all the natural hair police...

The products that she uses or that I choose to use is our on personal preference. Either you decide to try the product or not.. But there is a line between trying to educate someone and just being ignorant and mean..

So I thought I would just record my personal rant..

CHECK OUT MY VIDEO: http://youtu.be/qNRD6zZxSfE

So share your experiences with me.. Oh yea don't forget to subscribe!!

Ok, I am asking this question not to be smart, hateful, or anything...
but why are just about ALL of your posts about a youtube video you have?

I understand promoting your videos and all, but since it seems like you are new here, and almost all (if not all) of your posts are about promoting your videos, I am not sure if you are here for $6.50 advertising (check out my videos) or to discuss and learn about hair.

lesedi

All is well with me
People need to use whichever products work for them. I'm going back to grease for my ends as it really defines my twistouts. I also use DC's with mineral oil in them and they work for me.....I don't owe anyone an explanation about the hair on my head

Tamster

naturalbeautyqween

I understand promoting your videos and all, but since it seems like you are new here, and almost all (if not all) of your posts are about promoting your videos, I am not sure if you are here for $6.50 advertising (check out my videos) or to discuss and learn about hair.

:look::look: :ohsnap:

but yeah, not a good look to have just signed up this month and do all self promo...

Royalq

i just started using Blue Magic Coconut oil grease literally yesterday. I love the smell. My hair was constantly feeling dry and ive been using oils for months. I moisturized my hair with a DC ( elasta dpr 11) and then sealed with the grease, twisted it up. so far so good. Im not against any ingredients really. I use sulfates and shampoo weekly, my hait=r just feels cleaner a reacts better when i regularly shampoo.

naturalbeautyqween

The reason I joined this site is to discuss and learn from others natural hair journey. When I decide to post something I want it be conversation worthy. Not only do I use this forum as a way of connecting to other naturals I use Facebook and Youtube as well.. When I link my post to a video I'm just allowing the reader to see the video and read other comments as well..

I guess I just don't understand where the problem lies with that? The link is to a free site and I am not gaining anything from it besides subscribers (if they choose to do so)..

Anyways, love & peace ♥♥♥

BrookeLynn

My mother used to use K7, Blue Magic and Sulfur 8 hair grease on my natural hair as a little girl and it was down my back. Things that make you go hmmm.

naturalgyrl5199

I use what i like! Some of my products hv mineral oils, cones, even sulfates. They work for me. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I give my hair what it likes, not what ppl think it should have.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

darlingdiva

It's ironic that I stumbled upon this thread now while I have both of my Dax pomades out. I'm sealing my ends with Dax pressing oil and I redid some of my twists with the Super Light Dax pomade.

Zaz

Meh, I think a lot of it is in people's heads. When I read CurlyNikki's long arse overwrought don't stone me intro, the only thing I could think was "girl don't nobody give a damn if you use grease in your hair" Then I skipped the post *kanyeshrug*

Seems to me that most of us use whatever works but everyone seems to think they're the only ones who actually do so. These threads usually get a whole buncha "well I use cones, mineral oil, sulfates... and I don't care" so it would seem the general consensus is no one really cares.

Last edited:

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I used to avoid mineral oil/petroleum like the plague when I first went natural. Now, I'm slowly letting up on it. 3 days ago I did a braid out on wet hair w/ TJ Nourish Spa as a leave-in and Dax to seal (after reading how other people have had good results), and I must say, my hair is STILL moisturized. It shrunk like crazy, but you couldn't tell me that my hair wasn't soft.

Now, I still will NOT pay $92384923 dollars for a mineral oil/petroleum filled product (i.e. Miss Jessies), since the ingredient is so cheap, you can buy a jar of Dax for $3.99. I think the product makes a decent sealant. Could've fooled me!

cmw45

The reason I joined this site is to discuss and learn from others natural hair journey. When I decide to post something I want it be conversation worthy. Not only do I use this forum as a way of connecting to other naturals I use Facebook and Youtube as well.. When I link my post to a video I'm just allowing the reader to see the video and read other comments as well..

I guess I just don't understand where the problem lies with that? The link is to a free site and I am not gaining anything from it besides subscribers (if they choose to do so)..

Anyways, love & peace ♥♥♥

naturalbeautyqween

I think some members become concerned when they perceive a relatively new member as only creating post that link to others sites (youtube, blog, etc) that are operated by that new member. I think this is further compounded when the new member also doesn't appear to comment (or participate) in other members' threads. For example, of the ten post you have made since you have joined, only one of them is in a thread not created by you. :look: I'm not a stalker...I just like to be well informed when I speak :grin:

I am not here attempting to critique your behavior. I am not saying that anything you are doing is "wrong." I am trying to explain why some more veteran members might be a bit...er...nervous.

Also, I think a lot of new members are unaware of some of the past problems LHCF has had with trolls and "______"+gates. The members of this forum spend a considerable amount of time and energy on not only their hair and sharing that information freely (mostly) with others, that it does bother quite a few of us if we perceive another member (particularly a new member) as trying to take advantage of that willingness to share freely.

You have lovely hair and I think you will make a good addition to the LHCF. I sincerely hope your stay is drama free and without incident. And as soon as I get back to the States...and from behind the Great Firewall of China, I will view your videos, comment, and subscribe. :yep:

Seraphina

I've seen product bullies on this board as well as NC.com because they're very anti-cones over there. I've seen it get really ridiculous when women who have long, beautiful, healthy hair be bashed for not following "the rules." Two examples that stand out are Teri LaFlesh and Amel Larrieux. There were folks coming into threads about them complaining that they don't wash their hair enough, they use cones, they use sulfates, etc. and it's comical because these women clearly know what works for them. They have the proof on their heads. Everyone should use what works for them.

prettypithy

I'll add my voice to the "who cares" line of thinking. Now, I have seen some people discussing regimens that seem unwise and they are having trouble retaining length...then I might say something. But if someone's hair looks great, does it really matter what products they used to achieve their goal? I use some sulfates and cones and have had no problems. I find that what I DO to my hair matters a lot more than what I PUT in my hair.

SuchaLady

I really want to go back to grease. My hair was like near perfection when mama kept me greased up. My hair now looks like crap compared to my Dax days. No breakage, long, even and no thin ends. :ohwell: #JesusWept

Sent from my DROID3 using DROID3

chantall214

Sometimes I feel like putting grease on my scalp again because it's just too dry for me and oils do nothing for that. I never had a problem when I used to put grease on my scalp and my hair grew just fine. I don't know.....

Valerie

To be honest, I have noticed a lot of bullying, because I told someone that I wash my hair weekly, the person went on like they were having a fit. Someone mentioned that they take supplements, someone would say, they wouldn't take anything and then there would be a complete disrespect for that person. I remember someone when to a party and she had long hair, relaxed and the man, black man went on about her wanting to be white and she is not happy with herself, naturals who colour their hair, they are not natural, so they are called naptural, naturals who straighten their hair, they self hate. Now the rant about hair grease.

People should put on their hair whatever works for them. My mother used hair grease on my hair, but it was always thick, but it was never longer, plus she would always melt and mix the hair grease with castor oil or something. My hair was always dry, so it never really worked for me, but people find it works excellent for their twist and braid outs. I am happy for them. The biggest problem is that there is no respect in hair community, whether natural relaxed, people are rude. There is only one way and one way only, and there is a failure to acknowledge that everyone is different, people's hair is different and until we have respect for each other, we will always have these encounters and many ignorant people open their mouths.