Embracing Your Natural Hair

Have you fully embraced your natural hair?

• Yes.

Votes: 181 58.8%
  • No, but I'm working on it.

Votes: 62 20.1%
  • No, and I don't want to embrace it.

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Some days are better than others....

Votes: 58 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

carameldelight87

Embracing my hair, for me, is not accepting what it "can't do". I've accepted that my hair can do ALL things (through Christ which strengthens it! Lol). It's a matter of effort. But I've embraced the JOURNEY that is my hair.

I've embraced the ups and downs, lefts and rights of styling. I've embraced the fact that I can spend 3 hours attempting some new look, fail, rinse my hair and have a fresh, clean, and FLY slate of curls. :gorgeous:

There used to be a time when if a style went wrong, u were forced to make the best of it cuz there was no WAY u were gonna put a DROP of water on my new growth! :nono:

I've embraced the shrinkage...no really I have. I love the stares I get from my classmates when they can't figure out how all of that blown out hair came from that little bitty afro. I love untwirling my curls slowly teasing men with my length. :drool:

I truly LOVE my hair...my SO almost has competition. :eyebrows2

Irresistible

Although this thread had the potential to end up this way from the start

Sad, it also could have been a very positive thread about natural hair and our experience/feelings (positive) about our hair

It could have been an example of natural's gushing over their hair , in admiration and love (I'm really glad some took that opportunity to do just that and nothing else) there could have been sooo many positive examples of how they have learned/grown to embrace it, challenges and all (transparency) and others could have looked upon it and maybe really got something out of it

but instead it turned into the naturals divided and saying what others should do/not do to embrace their hair/texture -of course all of which would cause a problem when there are naturals in the thread doing/not doing those things that were said

others can look upon this now and figure this is what they can expect, being told what they should/shouldnt do with their hair by other natural's - all boiling down to another natural's criteria and definition to prove they 'embrace' it, with the pressure and msg sent to them- that if they in fact do or dont do these things as was stated IN THIS THREAD, MORE THAN ONCE, that they ARE ASHAMED of their texture -so they end up set up to feel like a failure from the start, although many of us had our process of acceptance we cant afford another theirs and let them live by their own definition of it

its sad because so many naturals will have a journey and maybe even fall once, I KNOW I did, or maybe more than once even , they may not accept their hair raw/naked right away and feel like a failure because they dont, and we wont 'embrace' them, we will point and say they 'failed or lost' there are so many ways this thread could have been positive and so many ways it is instead so negative

there was SO MUCH more at stake than meets the eye.........

of just what people think others should do, it was an example to others, we were an example to others about us naturals/being natural/natural hair and this forum-thats how I feel about it anyway-and yes-strongly

not all people represent the beauty of being natural well, nor the freedom to do so and let others have their due process at all -cant we just simply let what being natural means to someone just mean what it is to them- and celebrate it all with them? who cares if they are in love with their texture and do other than we do -or do this or that with their hair or not? firstly its their right to feel/do what they want and its THEIR hair, secondly we have all been there, thirdly ----ahh fahget it , its just ugly

but truly we should all only be worried about our own hair, if you want to succeed at being natural-this really should be your only and greatest focus-accepting YOUR hair, and not imposing that acceptance on others-but instead giving them space for THEIR process

you can never be a beacon of light for long to others , if you cant keep focused on your own path to bring others along-instead of pushing them off or TURNING them off with this ish!

:disgust face insert:

Last edited:

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Question.

If a natural (not a transitioner, someone who's experienced) keeps their hair in wigs, weaves and phony ponies 90% of the time...are they embracing their natural hair?

Irresistible

Question.

If a natural (not a transitioner, someone who's experienced) keeps their hair in wigs, weaves and phony ponies 90% of the time...are they embracing their natural hair?
many would say no and that person is ashamed of their natural hair

good question girl:grin:

thats my whole point, nobody can say what it really is for that person, mabye they are doing it for protective styling, maybe they are in process of accepting, maybe not, maybe they just like wigs/weaves/ponies-thats my whole point and a few other's point, only that person could decide for themselves, or they SHOULD be able to without justification or even explanation to the 'more natural than thou' naturals

that person is still natural-regardless:yep:

and chances are dealing with the care of their natural hair in all states in between wearing the wig/weave/phony pony

they do have a right to put a wig on it all day long iffin thats what they wanna do , its their head its on!

This proving acceptance goes too far

and again my point, I wouldnt too much care of that person isnt 'embracing' their hair, they are doing what makes them happy with their hair-so be it

I wore a phony pony PLENNTY of times when I went out to just not have to deal with my hair

NOW someone come tell me I didn't/don't 'embrace' MY hair :whip: LOL

Last edited:

carameldelight87

Question.

That person may be letting out their creative energy via wigs and weaves so as not to damage their natural hair which they treasure. Or there could be some damage to their natural hair that they are trying to grow out. Or they could even be in an LHCF "Hide Your Hair" challenge. Lol. There are plenty of reasons and justifications a person can have for wearing wigs and weaves, it could have nothing to do with them embracing their hair or not.

carameldelight87

This natural vs. "strict" natural issue is not new. It's imitated throughout the Black community. "You're not Black enough!" or "You're not 'hood' enough!"

As a natural, I love ALL types of hair and don't mind naturals who straighten, weave, or even color. I can look at relaxed hair and appreciate it's beauty, health, and style without assuming that that person "hates themselves."

Being natural is supposed to OPEN ur mind, not close it off. "Strict" naturals are just as detrimental to a natural woman's self-esteem and journey as her relaxed friends and family who entice her to relax "that mess!"

I swear no matter where we go or what we do, we'll ALWAYS be crabs in a barrel! :(

Irresistible

This natural vs. "strict" natural issue is not new. It's imitated throughout the Black community. "You're not Black enough!" or "You're not 'hood' enough!"

As a natural, I love ALL types of hair and don't mind naturals who straighten, weave, or even color. I can look at relaxed hair and appreciate it's beauty, health, and style without assuming that that person "hates themselves."

Being natural is supposed to OPEN ur mind, not close it off. "Strict" naturals are just as detrimental to a natural woman's self-esteem and journey as her relaxed friends and family who entice her to relax "that mess!"

I swear no matter where we go or what we do, we'll ALWAYS be crabs in a barrel! :(
you know girl!!!!!!!!!!!

this aint nothing new at all:nono::nono:

I love it when we can come/be together on higher ground and overcome this

just dont know if it will ever happen all the way

well I know it wont :nono::nono:

and its very very sad

ActionActress

Hello Celina starr and everyone,

My first time posting.... I am also on CurlyNikki's forum. I have fully embraced my natural hair every since I went natural. I had no problems.

Celina I love your horse what breed is he? I had an Arabian(purebred) years ago and I am going to get another one, thank goodness there are a couple barns nearby I can board. Have you ever thought about side saddle riding...I am currently looking for someone to instruct me in it. (It is on the rise.)

jupitermoon

Hello Celina starr and everyone,

My first time posting.... I am also on CurlyNikki's forum. I have fully embraced my natural hair every since I went natural. I had no problems.

Celina I love your horse what breed is he? I had an Arabian(purebred) years ago and I am going to get another one, thank goodness there are a couple barns nearby I can board. Have you ever thought about side saddle riding...I am currently looking for someone to instruct me in it. (It is on the rise.)

Thank you. My horse is a Quarter Horse. I ride English, but have been riding Western lately. Me and my boy Confucius had quite a summer. I fell off of him 3 times over the summer, so I decided to use a Western saddle which has a deeper seat and horn to hold in to (just in case, lol). He's very sensitive and hates when I fall off. Body position is very important when riding him. Leaning too far forward and losing your balance will freak him out. He runs and hides when I fall off of him, because it really upsets him. I'm not interested in riding side saddle but will eventually go back to riding English once I feel more comfortable. So far I have been riding a little over a year and plan on eventually showing.

To make light of this thread, Mr. Confucius (aka Mommie's Big Boy, lol):

^^^He picks up his feet nicely for me, lol. :lachen::yep:

Good luck finding a trainer in your area. I had to resort to looking on the Internet because the yellow pages weren't helping me.

Sorry for going off topic everyone, lol... :spinning:

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

^How about a picture of his ponytail for inspiration. Is he on Megatek? MTG? LOL!
I'm gonna have to bring my dd in here, she <3s Horses!!!

jupitermoon

^How about a picture of his ponytail for inspiration. Is he on Megatek? MTG? LOL!
I'm gonna have to bring my dd in here, she <3s Horses!!!

LOL! I enjoy combing his mane and tail and put baby oil in it to make it soft. I know he's a boy, but I even braid his mane and tail sometimes. I use strawberry Suave shampoo and conditioner to wash him. His tail has silver highlights in it and looks nice braided, lol! Not trying to brag about my boy, but his coloring is very pretty and rare for a Quarter Horse. :lachen:

Confucius does have a nice mane and tail. He should be feature of the month some day. :lachen:

jupitermoon

^Now that's what i'm talking about...products and regimen. Does he get a twistout/braidout, too? That would look gorg!

LOL!! If you oil and braid his mane and tail and keep it in for a while, then take it down, his mane and tail will appear wavy. I guess that would be considered a braid out? I've never tried a twist out on him. I may try it. LOL.

His regimen is simple too. Suave and baby oil, lol. :yep:

ETA: If I had to type his mane and tail I woud type it as 1a coarse. :lol:

Last edited:

Irresistible

LOL!! If you oil and braid his mane and tail and keep it in for a while, then take it down, his mane and tail will appear wavy. I guess that would be considered a braid out? I've never tried a twist out on him. I may try it. LOL.

His regimen is simple too. Suave and baby oil, lol. :yep:
Does the horse embrace the texture of his mane and tail?

since we're talkin bout horses:lachen:

juss playin

ya'll have a blessed Sunday:yep:

Irresistible

:lachen::lachen: yup yup

say it now

I told you so!:lachen:

u know that I knew that you knew that you were right:grin:
Iris this convo is actually revelent to something you and I were talking about wrt human hair. Celina confirmed what I told you. Horse's hair IS probably the closest animal hair to human hair. Type 1a is really the truth. Horses have dedicated shampoos, conditioners, and detanglers, combs and brushes just like humans because their hair can behave like human hair.

An unkempt hoses can be a HAM like an unkempt human. :lachen::grin:

jamaraa

^^ Well of course! ;) After all, Celina uses Suave for Confucious and that's the cowashers condish of choice!

jupitermoon

No megatek for my baby. Both of us KISS with our regimens.

Confucius's mane and tail is very straight and very coarse to the touch. Sometimes the way his tail feels almost reminds me of hay. I put baby oil in it and brush it to make it softer and remove the tangles. His tail is coarse. Smooth but coarse. His mane feels a little more silky and doesn't tangle as much.

Irresistible

No megatek for my baby. Both of us KISS with our regimens.

Confucius's mane and tail is very straight and very coarse to the touch. Sometimes the way his tail feels almost reminds me of hay. I put baby oil in it and brush it to make it softer and remove the tangles. His tail is coarse. Smooth but coarse. His mane feels a little more silky and doesn't tangle as much.
Confucius say NO PROTEIN OVERLOAD! :lachen: