Embracing Your Natural Hair

Have you fully embraced your natural hair?

• Yes.

Votes: 181 58.8%
  • No, but I'm working on it.

Votes: 62 20.1%
  • No, and I don't want to embrace it.

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Some days are better than others....

Votes: 58 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Irresistible

A very small part of me feels I should say something b/c I believe I MIGHT have started the flame in making the following comment:

Honestly, it's a work in progress because I'm not fully comfortable wearing my hair in a natural state (no product, no heat, no manipulation as in shingling etc.) at my current length.

Most people don't agree with this and that's OK. I've always been extreme which is a VERY personal trait, nothing cerebral/calculating about it, it just is:S
That's why I go HARD with my PS styling to grow my hair.

I love myself LOL
girl nothing you said about how you feel about YOUR hair should have sparked the 'flaming' in this thread

its your hair , your business

no justification should be needed by anybody for how you feel/what you do

*~*Afrolicious*~*

I would say yes, but my Natural Hair NaziSO thinks that the 3-4 times a year I flatiron my hair means I haven't embraced my natural hair.

Mizz Diamonds

I embrace my natural hair. I have never not liked natural hair. I'm not entirely comfortable wearing my hair out yet (even though I have) I have little bits of left over relaxed ends that look weird and my mother won't cut my hair until it grows out a bit more but if it's in a braidout/twist out or I pat my TWA down then it's all good.

Allandra

Off topic:
Allandra, your hair is beautiful. When did you BC?
I checked around looking for a thread or blog but I didn't see anything.
Congratulations!
Thanks. I had trims throughout my entire 2 year transition. I snipped off the remaining relaxed ends around October 24 / 25.

anon123

I'm going to vote some days are better than others. Curiously, I was more accepting of my hair before I found hair boards. Then I came to see how so many other black people have easier textures than mine. When I thought 90% of black people had hair like me, I was okay with my texture. Really before I found the hair boards I didn't think about it. Now after seeing I'm on the extra kinked end of even black people, sometimes I feel like I got the short end of the stick. :( I feel like my hair is so much harder than most everyone else's and that I have fewer options. I think of even the hair at my nape, which is still type 4 but just a little less kinky. I think of how noticeably easier it is and how much less it breaks than the rest of my hair, all while being able to do anything the rest of my hair does - afro, twists, etc. - just as well. I mean, I know we aren't supposed to say any texture is better than any other, but really, it's hard for me to not think of that texture as better.

Anyway, that's what I feel on days I detangle my hair, like today. The other 6 days of the week I'm generally fine, because I'm quite happy with how it looks.

Dee Raven

You know, I've been natural for a little over 3 years now, and in the first two years, I thought that I had a problem with my texture. But in year 3 I realized it wasn't my texture that bothered me, it was the length. I hate short hair. I had a Halle Berry cut for a while with relaxed hair and that was okay, but other than that short hair is just not for me. It was such a relief honestly to realize that about myself. Now that I've gotten to a length I can enjoy, I am really enjoying my natural hair. And I definitely enjoy the freedom of not being reliant on the hair salon anymore.

Skiggle

I'm going to vote some days are better than others. Curiously, I was more accepting of my hair before I found hair boards. Then I came to see how so many other black people have easier textures than mine. When I thought 90% of black people had hair like me, I was okay with my texture. Really before I found the hair boards I didn't think about it. Now after seeing I'm on the extra kinked end of even black people, sometimes I feel like I got the short end of the stick. :( I feel like my hair is so much harder than most everyone else's and that I have fewer options. I think of even the hair at my nape, which is still type 4 but just a little less kinky. I think of how noticeably easier it is and how much less it breaks than the rest of my hair, all while being able to do anything the rest of my hair does - afro, twists, etc. - just as well. I mean, I know we aren't supposed to say any texture is better than any other, but really, it's hard for me to not think of that texture as better.

Anyway, that's what I feel on days I detangle my hair, like today. The other 6 days of the week I'm generally fine, because I'm quite happy with how it looks.

Honestly, mwedzi your hair is beautiful
and I'm sure if you didn't accept your hair texture
you wouldn't have all that gorgeous hair on your head.
You're dedicated to your hair despite the kinky texture,
and that's what I like about you the most.
I can't wait till you reach WL...

Rain20

Could someone pm me and let me know of an open fotki of someone with hair "shingled to the high heavens". I really want to see this. I cant even imagine what it looks like.

I am not natural just thought it would be interesting to see.

Mitey Cyrus

Interesting thread. Jamaraa, might I ask why you're deleting the majority of your posts in here? I'm curious.

msa

Could someone pm me and let me know of an open fotki of someone with hair "shingled to the high heavens". I really want to see this. I cant even imagine what it looks like.

Just search shingling on the board and I'm sure threads with pics will come up.

Interesting thread. Jamaraa, might I ask why you're deleting the majority of your posts in here? I'm curious.

She's deleting her posts here and in other threads...maybe she just doesn't want them around for posterity? Idk.

Rain20

I have seen shingled hair and been through the threads, but I want to know how can you tell when it has been celestially shingled vs a reasonable shingle. Or is all shingling classified as shingled to the high heavens?

Hey this may be the only way I get to see the pearly gates(getting dressed now to buy some shingling products and angel wings so I will be in appropriate attire when I get there).

Last edited:

msa

I have seen shingled hair and been through the threads, but I want to know how can you tell when it has been celestially shingled vs a reasonable shingle. Or is all shingling classified as shingled to the high heavens?

I can't explain without getting back into the whole debate and I refuse to revive it.

msdeevee

Mwedzi...I understand how you feel about your hair because I feel the same way, not because of the hair boards but because I look around and it looks like everybodys hair texture is looser than mine even my sisters have less kink than me.

I do embrace my natural hair and I love it and I can say that I will never relax my hair again but I do go through phases where I wish I had a little more curl than kink.

I am at a setback stage now where I got to APL and it seems I couldn't get past that. Then because I kept my hair mostly out or in twists or twist-outs my ends were really knotted and tangled despite being a PJ and really taking time to detangle and deep condition and baby my ends , I finally had to cut off about 4 inches and it's still not that good on the ends. I'm now considering cutting it all off to the scalp and starting all over.

I love your hair and actually signed in today to see if you had a Fotki or something so that I could see what you do .

My natural hair is a work in progress but I love it none the less.

jennboo

Hey this may be the only way I get to see the pearly gates(getting dressed now to buy some shingling products and angel wings so I will be in appropriate attire when I get there).

To explain is to reintroduce the debate, as MSA noted.

Not being snarky, but read the entire thread and come to your own conclusion as to what someone who isn't comfortable with their hair texture might do, lol.

almond eyes

I look at Mwedzi's hair and I drool over the thickness and the options for styles. I don't care about curl pattern or whether hair is curly or kink because I have met curlies with fine hair that looks like it could tear any moment. I love thick hair which is what I don't have because it looks very healthy to me. But I have accepted my fine strands. Many Africans don't like thin, fine hair.

Best,
Almond Eyes

BrandNew

Loc'd up and loving it!
I've only been natural for 10 months and for the past 4 months I had braids. At this point I am a little hesitant to wear my hair because I have gotten used to not having to style it and I save so much time now.
To answer the question, yes I have embraced my texture. I'm realistic about what my hair can do and I'm working with what God gave me.

BostonMaria

I THINK they're talking about people that will put a bunch of products in their hair to make it curl. I think some people like to put 3-4 different leave-ins and gels in their hair to make it look a certain way. It doesn't work for me because my hair doesn't like more than 1 type of gel/leave-ins but hey whatever works for you.

Rain20

Thanks Boston Maria.

I think when a thread is posted "post your shingled hair pics" that's what people post. I dont think most people do this everyday. Just another way to wear the hair. I thought natural hair was supposed to be versatile. Twisting and braidouts really do the same thing. Anyway, some of the sites that give a tutorials on Shingling, like Curlisto use a lot of products. So I think thats where the lots of products may originate from. Over time,I think people learn they dont need all of the products. Someone posted using a bunch of products really doesnt change your texture or hair type and that I agree with.

But anyway everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. I just think its a bit harsh to assume that from someone's shingled pictures that the person wears their hair that way all the time and/or doesnt accept his/her own hair texture.

Last edited:

Ediese

I don't think I've embraced it yet. Some days I love it, and other days I think about relaxing it. It's a constant battle.

BklynHeart

For the past month I've been re-thinking staying natural. It seems like I worry over my hair a lot more than when i was relaxed. I got my hair blown out and flat ironed last week for a trim, and I saw that I'm APL, I was tempted to get it relaxed. I'm going to stay natural for the winter and see how I feel by spring.