Long Natural Hair

smartblackgirl

What is the best way to grow natural hair long? Would it be okay to follow the same regimen as someone who relaxed? Should you use protective styles on natural hair as well?

pressncurl

SBG, I think that for the most part the regimens can be very similar. I think some of the things you have to pay closer attention to if you're natural (and this is by no means all inclusive) are to:

Be sure to use a good (superb even) detangling leave-in conditioner after washing because the comb out after washing is where us natural girls tend to lose the most hair.

Be sure to be gentle with your hair when combing out. This takes longer but is worth it if you're trying to grow longer hair.

smartblackgirl

Thanks for helping me out

BronzeBrown

Hey smartblackgirl, the common characteristic I've observed on the naturals that've grown their hair out really long (Maestradiva77 here, alken411 & deecoily on nappturality) is that they predominately wear low manipulation styles. I think this - along with moisturizing - are key to getting your natural hair to grow long. Alken's hair is *incredible* and she wears twists 95% of the time (she twists her hair every month, I believe and then doesn't do any further styling until the next month).

Oh and in my 4 years of naptural experience - extension braids DON'T count as low manipulation. They've hindered my hair growth more than they've helped because of the breakage I experience when taking them down. I'll be taking this set out in a few weeks and don't plan on braiding back up for a while!

Netta1

Hello!

Yes you can wear protective styles as a natural! I know I sure do, they're cute and they come in handy. Some people with nappy hair like natural hair products, some nappies like products geared towards folks with relaxed heads.

ANYHOW

There is a way to wear extention braids w/o tearing your natural hair out. It depends on a few things :

A. Your braids can't be too tight.

B. Your braids must stay moisturized with a spray-type moisturiser.

C.Your braids must stay conditioned with a liquid leave-in conditioner.

D. Your braids must be get washed at least once a week.

I am a living witness that braids do assist in growing the hair.

Don't forget you can also twist and braid your own hair w/o extentions.

missykeyana

1. Moisture
2. a good detangling conditioner
3. a good detangling comb/brush
4. protective styles or at least styles where you don't have to use a comb (like a shake-n-go)
5. Comb only when wet or damp
6. Most importantly, time and patience. Take your time with your hair and treat it like fine silk.

Valerie

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
Very little manipulation and lots of moisture helped me.

[/ QUOTE ]

same here.

Boadicea

When my hair was 100% natural, I wore protective styles every single day of the year for 10 years and my hair was quite long.

Choose styles that don't require a lot of manipulation and moisturize your hair often and be gentle with it. Find a good detangler and use the proper combs and/or brushes.

It would be fine to follow your relaxed haircare regimine IF the same steps apply to your natural hair. If not, find something else that works and stick to it.

HTH!

Lucia

ITA w/ Boadicea, SVT, minimal manipulation, moisture/deep conditioning, and patinet detangling are the keys.

BronzeBrown

[ QUOTE ]
Netta1 said:

There is a way to wear extention braids w/o tearing your natural hair out. It depends on a few things :

A. Your braids can't be too tight.

B. Your braids must stay moisturized with a spray-type moisturiser.

C.Your braids must stay conditioned with a liquid leave-in conditioner.

D. Your braids must be get washed at least once a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. I don't view a conditioner as providing anything different from what a spray-in moisturizer does. Both products aim to moisturize, if anything a conditioner is thicker than a spray-in moisturizer and therefore application of a conditioner to braids is more likely to lead to build up. I also don't believe washing hair at least once a week is a requirement to having success with braids. Why is a week the absolute longest time to leave between washes? I feel ideal washing frequency varies from person to person dependent on their scalp's condition.

I take meticulous care of my braids and I always ensure that my braiders neither do the braids too small or too tight. But the accumulation of lint in combination with the shed hair that tangles with the rest of your hair within the braids is unavoidable. This will always result in unecessary breakage upon taking the braids down. But of course this is in my own experience and represents my view only.

Chanteuse

I'm not natural but I believe that one of the benefits of washing your hair more often with braids is to avoid that buildup or lint. You're not giving your hair a chance to accumulate all of the buildup.

babyblue

[ QUOTE ]
missykeyana said:
1. Moisture
4. protective styles or at least styles where you don't have to use a comb (like a shake-n-go)
6. Most importantly, time and patience. Take your time with your hair and treat it like fine silk.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA!

cherish

[ QUOTE ]
missykeyana said:
1. Moisture

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent points.

[ QUOTE ]
Chanteuse said:
I'm not natural but I believe that one of the benefits of washing your hair more often with braids is to avoid that buildup or lint. You're not giving your hair a chance to accumulate all of the buildup.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

Irresistible

I transitioned with braids, I wore them only five weeks at a time, did not wash them every week, did not have major build up because of it, and had no breakage whatsoever from build up. i only used braid spray, no conditioners while in braids. my hair grew grew grew

BronzeBrown

[ QUOTE ]
Chanteuse said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually wasn't disagreeing with washing your hair more often, my question was why a week *exactly* is the absolute maximum. Also, I agree about washing preventing product build-up, but I think the lint accumulation - which comes from clothing, towels and other knitted & terrycloth items - is unavoidable. People with locs often describe how they cut part of a lock off and find lint accumulated at the center. It's mostly unrelated to washing [in my opinion]; it's a result of the balls of lint from fabrics getting trapped within the extension.

cherish

[ QUOTE ]
BronzeBrown said:
I actually wasn't disagreeing with washing your hair more often, my question was why a week *exactly* is the absolute maximum. Also, I agree about washing preventing product build-up, but I think the lint accumulation - which comes from clothing, towels and other knitted & terrycloth items - is unavoidable. People with locs often describe how they cut part of a lock off and find lint accumulated at the center. It's mostly unrelated to washing [in my opinion]; it's a result of the balls of lint from fabrics getting trapped within the extension.

[/ QUOTE ]

BronzeBrown,

I used to think lint was unavoidable too. I used to have that when I went to professional braiders and they had me using african pride or something. I later realized that the sprays were really what attracted lint, causing that accumulation at the base. I believe braid sprays and anything with a high glycerin content, or butters, castor oil, etc are bad news for braids on my head.

When I began doing my own braids, I used a combo of water, a no-buildup/liquidy conditioning spray like back to basics sunflower, and oils. And, I never went for more than a week without washing them (shampoo only). I guess a week because that's how often I would shampoo ordinarily. I also would wash 2 days before taking them down, and my hair was always completely lint and build-up free. In fact, I could and would sometimes wear the debraided hair as an out style for a couple of days.

Of course, since I could easily handle any braid slippage myself, this method worked out well for me.

Nay

[ QUOTE ]
smartblackgirl said:
What is the best way to grow natural hair long? Would it be okay to follow the same regimen as someone who relaxed? Should you use protective styles on natural hair as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to co-sign with what everyone has already said. They've given some good tips.

For me it was:

* Moisture (I wash my hair probably every 5-6 days)
* A good detangling comb (The K-Cutter, of course)
* A good conditioner (Cream of Nature nourishing conditioner does wonders on my hair)
* Only detangle hair when wet!!
* Wash hair in sections to minimize tangling even more.
* MINIMAL HEAT (The curling iron is not my friend)

Tracy

I'm not natural, but these are greaty tips guys....

I think I'm going to try to have my own hair cornrowed...I wonder if extensions are why braids never worked for me in the past...

rozlips

I have long natural hair (last relaxer August 1998, BC February 1999) and I wear twists almost all the time. I take my hair down monthly, wear a twist-out for a few days, shampoo, deep-condition, hot oil and then re-twist. My hair is now bra strap length (when blow-dried) and a little better than shoulder length when air-dried.

Netta1

Ok of course what works for me might not work for you/everyone. But I suggested the liquid leave-in becuase I think a heavy conditioner with braids can become a problem by causing build up. Not only that but I use a liquid leave-in to ensure the strength to my hair underneath the extentions. Some people need some extra moisture other than a spray on moisturiser. Build up can become a problem when one attempts to remove braids therefore thats why I suggested that one washes there hair at least once a week, NOW of course you don't have to but I've found that- that works out best for ME
. But anyhow I got some of my info in regards to wearing braids from the hair ladys hair site.

Bobbie

[ QUOTE ]
cherish said:
I later realized that the sprays were really what attracted lint, causing that accumulation at the base. I believe braid sprays and anything with a high glycerin content, or butters, castor oil, etc are bad news for braids on my head.

[/ QUOTE ]
This point strikes a chord with me as well. I was pretty heavy-handed with s-curl while transitioning with braids. Even with weekly (sometimes 2x a week) washing, I had major build up at the base of the braids. I've worn braids on and off for 2 years and it was the worst experience with buildup I've ever had.
A moisture spray without glycerin (most of the time I use plain water) helped eleviate the problem.

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
I agree with everything said here, and I'm learning some things anew. My hair is about 9 inches long, natural (since Oct 2001), and I've seen great progress. It sounds like I could achieve more if I integrate a good conditioner, and go back to my moisture spraying. Thanx ladies!