Natural hair texture issues, anybody?

Ladybelle

Your hair may change or it may not. You have to deal with it for what it is right now. If you hold a seed of hope in your heart that it may change, you will never be able to be happy with your natural hair.

Everybody doesn't have wavy/curly hair. You may be a C-Napp or 4B(such as myself). Learn to love it.

You are right and what you said is true. I've been hiding my hair since the big chop hoping some texture would show up, but like you said- I may be a c-napp or a 4b & in looking at other 4b's - i think i may be. I just need to stop being a punk and learn to love my natural hair. It is mine!!

glamazon386

My issue with my natural hair is after about 2 years of being natural, the front of my hair lost it's curl pattern. I thought it was from constantly wearing puffs pulled back. I may be wrong:ohwell: Anyways, now after coming up on 3 years of being natural my hair in front lacks curl definition ( massive clouds) but the back and sides have retained their 4a curl pattern.

It is what it is

The front of my hair seemed to be losing it's curl pattern for a minute too. I had to stop with the heat. It seems like it's alright now but it's still significantly looser than the rest of my hair. It'll probably go more wavy than curly eventually.

Vinillablue

There are some people with "c-napp" 4b that do not really have a curl pattern, only a mass of fluffy cloud-like hair. Generally, though many people's curl pattern loosens as the hair grows longer due to the weight, mine included. Hormones may also play a role as we age....how was your hair when you were younger and when did you get your 1st relaxer?

nice texture......wow!!!

Ladybelle

When I started this I had little to no texture at all in the front. I've been adding moisture like mad and coils/waves popped out. I figured out that flat ironing was part of the problem, I haven't done that in 2 weeks.

@nikstar Yea, I was going to say, how did you wear your most when transitioning? If you flat-ironed regulary while transitioning, you may have altered your natural texture...

I flat ironed while i transitioned, but it wasn't enough to alter my texture i don't think. Maybe 3 times the whole year. I'm definitely going to take the advice & give it lots of moisture, moisture, moisture. Either way though, I'm gonna work on loving my natural hair no matter what texture it is.

Ladybelle

The front of my hair seemed to be losing it's curl pattern for a minute too. I had to stop with the heat. It seems like it's alright now but it's still significantly looser than the rest of my hair. It'll probably go more wavy than curly eventually.

who knew natural hair could be so complicated? Learning how to manipulate, handle my hair has truly been interesting to say the least. What kind of heat were you doing? Flat-ironing or heat in general like blow-drying and etc?

glamazon386

who knew natural hair could be so complicated? Learning how to manipulate, handle my hair has truly been interesting to say the least. What kind of heat were you doing? Flat-ironing or heat in general like blow-drying and etc?

I was getting it blow dried and flat ironed at the salon and I think my stylist was using a higher temp than I usually do at home. It looked like it was gradually loosening up. I think it was the blow drying.

stixx

Is there such a thing as 4C, or 4D?

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack, btw lol

Last edited:

LunadeMiel

I was able to see my texture within a few days. OP your hair doesn't look dry or brittle so I don't think you have scab hair. I believe your texture may be 4b or C-napp.

Ladybelle

Is there such a thing as 4C, or 4D?

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack, btw lol

That's okay, but I was wondering the same thing. I know there isn't a 4c but I wondered about a 4c. I've seen rare talks of a 4c and I even seen someone on here with a siggy showing hair types and it ranged from 1a- 4c.

Anybody know for sure?

Ladybelle

I was able to see my texture within a few days. OP your hair doesn't look dry or brittle so I don't think you have scab hair. I believe your texture may be 4b or C-napp.

Thank you for helping me to classify. Until i know for sure I guess I'll classify myself as 4b/cnapp. It is isn't dry or brittle, it just is...:look::yawn:

tocktick

My texture does not show properly unless it's at TWA level or between SL/APL. Even at those lengths, it can look a bit too fuzzy. The things that define my coils best are:

* The curlisto method (look for ladykpnyc's tutorial on youtube)
* Leaving a little creamy conditioner in my hair. This works wonders for me.

My hair is about 80% 4a, so I will always need to take into account a little bit of frizz always being there.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
When my hair was < 1 inch, my curls were very defined and I didn't have to do anything to them at all. Now at 8+ inches there isn't a curl in sight. They are there but no amount of shingling, wash n going, baggying, over-moisturizing, or curly priming is going to bring them out.

Ladybelle

My texture does not show properly unless it's at TWA level or between SL/APL. Even at those lengths, it can look a bit too fuzzy. The things that define my coils best are:

* The curlisto method (look for ladykpnyc's tutorial on youtube)
* Leaving a little creamy conditioner in my hair. This works wonders for me.

My hair is about 80% 4a, so I will always need to take into account a little bit of frizz always being there.

I'm in braids right now, but I think you are right about the length having something to do with the ability to classify. the hairtype. My hair is a longer than a TWA, not sure what length category I'm in (probably short) but when I stretch it- it comes to my chin.

Can't wait to take the braids down to try the culisto method, it looks promising.

Ladybelle

When my hair was < 1 inch, my curls were very defined and I didn't have to do anything to them at all. Now at 8+ inches there isn't a curl in sight. They are there but no amount of shingling, wash n going, baggying, over-moisturizing, or curly priming is going to bring them out.

so do you categorize your hair as a particular type?

Nelli04

I have the same problem, I don't think my hair has a texture...when it grows in it doesnt curl, it just grows in waves (if that makes sense)..like it doesnt do the coils, but it grows in very tight waves...the waves are looser in the top and mid section of my head and are very wild and dry in the very back and sides.
I just assumed I had 4b hair...I've been natural for 6 years, but I never bc'd

Ladybelle

I have the same problem, I don't think my hair has a texture...when it grows in it doesnt curl, it just grows in waves (if that makes sense)..like it doesnt do the coils, but it grows in very tight waves...the waves are looser in the top and mid section of my head and are very wild and dry in the very back and sides.
I just assumed I had 4b hair...I've been natural for 6 years, but I never bc'd

it sounds like you have a couple of hair types going on. 6 years! How'd you do it? I've only been natural for a couple of months (after 1 year transitioning) and some days I swear I just want to go get a perm.

Anyhows, i'm curious to know for sure what my hair type is, but then on the other hand i'm at the point where it doesn't matter, i just want to learn to deal with it and have a healthy head of pretty hair.

Nelli04

it sounds like you have a couple of hair types going on. 6 years! How'd you do it? I've only been natural for a couple of months (after 1 year transitioning) and some days I swear I just want to go get a perm.

Anyhows, i'm curious to know for sure what my hair type is, but then on the other hand i'm at the point where it doesn't matter, i just want to learn to deal with it and have a healthy head of pretty hair.

Yea I definitely have more than one, but its hard to tell because I get a press once a month or every 6 weeks. I Totally agree though, I still don't know how to take care of my hair...
its been hard being natural, I've considered getting a perm again numerous times...but I had nightmare experiences which is why I stopped getting them.

I remember when i told my stylist I wanted to stop getting a perm and she told me I would have to chop alll my hair off...but I didnt want to...so she would just trim it every 6 weeks...which worked fine...I always wondered if BC'ing is mandatory for most people???

Ladybelle

Yea I definitely have more than one, but its hard to tell because I get a press once a month or every 6 weeks. I Totally agree though, I still don't know how to take care of my hair...
its been hard being natural, I've considered getting a perm again numerous times...but I had nightmare experiences which is why I stopped getting them.

I remember when i told my stylist I wanted to stop getting a perm and she told me I would have to chop alll my hair off...but I didnt want to...so she would just trim it every 6 weeks...which worked fine...I always wondered if BC'ing is mandatory for most people???

no, it's not mandatory. some say it's easier- but I know people who simply grew their perm out, similar to your experience. I've also read the need to be careful with two hair textures (where the relaxed hair & natural hair meet ,i think it's called the demarfication(sp?) line) and is prone to breakage. Other than that, no real reason to BC. I know I just got tired of dealing with both & wanted to finally deal with just my natural texture.