Natural hair tips for a Newbie!!!!!!

Pretty1008

Hey Ladies of LHCF!!!

Next month I'll celebrate my 2yr anniversary of deciding to rid my life of relaxers!! Still I don't feel like I know all I need to know about keeping my soft, fine, curly hair at it's best... (i think my hairtype is 3c)

Note:

I co-wash 2x a week
Moisturize every other day
I've just got hip to herbal ACV rinses
As well as baggy(ing)??
Just these small steps alone have helped me acheive healthy hair and retain about 3 inches of growth over that last 5 1/2 months.

Please, Please, I'm welcoming all tips and advice that can help me get to APL..

Thanks In advance ladies!!!!:grin:

msa

:welcome4:

If you check out the newbie manual in my siggy there's a whole bunch of threads for naturals that will be very helpful.

My main tips are:
1. To avoid knots, wear your hair is styles that are stretched, especially at the ends.
2. Do not comb dry hair.
3. Stay on top of your moisture and protein.
4. And handle it gently, especially when combing.

CTBhair

I have been natural for almost 4 years, but I recently started REALLY taking care of my hair. I would say that since about May of this year I have been doing a good job.

My best advice to you is....do what works for you. I feel like there is a ton of advice on the forum, but your hair is unique. What works for some may not work for all. Get to know your own hair and determine what you need.

I have learned certain products, styles and techniques are helpful and others are not for me. Personally, I am looking for fuller curly hair and for longer hair(trying to see if I can get back to those childhood days of beautiful thick and long hair before I jacked it all up!):lachen::lachen::lachen:

lilsparkle825

definitely try to keep it simple...and once you find something that works for you, whether it's a tool, product or WHATEVER...stick with it!!!

the main things that help me retain length are protective styles and moisture...i can definitely tell a difference in how much length i retain when i twist my hair up in extensions and leave it alone vs when i cowash every day and wear WNGs. and watch your ends!

BrooklynSouth

My advice for natural twists which have been in for a while is to use some oil and conditioner before untwisting. I've found the twists released easier this way. I've been busy with other people's lives so have not shampooed in about 10 days:blush:, so twists were really meshed. I was becoming frustrated with locking and knotting so applied some conditioner and grapeseed oil under a 1 hour heat cap...easy peasy lemon squeezy..twists slid out!

jamaraa

OK do you know when your hair is at it's most vulnerable yet...wet or dry? Natural hair does handle differently than relaxed, so it's important to note the wet/dry thing most carefully when natural. This knowledge will save you tons of grief and time.

For me, it's when it's wet (I comb out my shed on dry hair). I find knowing how to handle my hair both wet and dry are great advantages.