Natural??? Is this cheating?

jwhitley6

I usually press my hair, but I wanted to try the "natural" look today....Well, I had to use a handful (literally) of IC gel to keep my hair from looking a hot mess. I also had to blow dry, otherwise it would have taken all day for my hair to dry. I like the way it looks, but I can't possible call this my natural texture...can I? My natural texture (sans product) shrinks up into a ball of frizz that's about 1 inch in back and 3 inches in front.

What do you think? Are you "cheating" if you have to use a heaping handful of product to achieve the natural look? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

I put some photos in the gallery:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1622/cat/500/ppuser/12427/sl/j

Last edited:

SignatureBeauty

I don't call it cheating, I call it styling, I mean we all try things for different styles and products as well which sometime makes our texture look different, but natural is Chemical Free, I wouldn't call it cheating at all.

jwhitley6

NappyParadise said:
I don't call it cheating, I call it styling, I mean we all try things for different styles and products as well which sometime makes our texture look different, but natural is Chemical Free, I wouldn't call it cheating at all.

I feel you, but I know you hear the hubub about "naturals" who press their hair...like altering your texture is a bad thing. I wonder what makes this okay?

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
jwhitley6 said:
I feel you, but I know you hear the hubub about "naturals" who press their hair...like altering your texture is a bad thing. I wonder what makes this okay?

I think most of the griping that comes from pressing is the damage that can occur

SignatureBeauty

I agree with wildchild, ifeel that too much pressing can cause your natural hair to become straight and damaged and then some come back complaining that they're natural hair won't revert back to it's natural texture and then they end up having to transition again or big chop.

I hear that on NP.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Your hair looks really pretty.

If putting gel in your hair is cheating, then my nappy membership is going to be revoked right along with yours.:look:

jwhitley6

NappyParadise said:
I agree with wildchild, ifeel that too much pressing can cause your natural hair to become straight and damaged and then some come back complaining that they're natural hair won't revert back to it's natural texture and then they end up having to transition again or big chop.

I hear that on NP.

I've been pressing my hair forever...and it still naps up just fine (as you can see). The front has always been looser than the back. There's a pressed pic in the gallery.

jwhitley6

JCoily said:

If putting gel in your hair is cheating, then my nappy membership is going to be revoked right along with yours.:look:

:lol: I love your hair. Your coils are so pretty. How does your hair dry with no product in it? Do you get major shrinkage?

lsw29

I don't think it's any more cheating than pressing, blow drying or coloring your hair. Most people use some styling aid to their hair to achieve a certain look. I personally don't think there is any thing wrong with that. I know that I have been using my IC Gel religiously for the past three weeks to acheive a similar look to the pictures you posted. So, I think as long as you are happy that's all that matters.

Oh, and by the way your hair looks really nice.

Cheleigh

((shrugs)) I style my hair with a styling product everyday, and I make that clear in my photo album. This weekend I'm going to take photos of my hair wet and dry w/o styling product (JazzyJeni's Bohemian/Naked Challenge), but I use gel, serum, or pomade everyday, depending upon the look I'm trying to achieve. I consider this my natural hair and texture because I don't reapply throughout the day (to try and keep the same wet look), I'm not defining hair texture that doesn't exist, and I'm not trying to banish frizz or shrinkage.

But I do feel you--I don't want to feel like I have a Wave Nouveau or an S-Curl with all the product stuff.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
jwhitley6 said:
:lol: I love your hair. Your coils are so pretty. How does your hair dry with no product in it? Do you get major shrinkage?

Well thank you Miss Lady!

Girl, I always got product in my hair! After I wash and condition and the hair is still wet I put my WGO, MTG and Aveda Be Curly and gel on my hair. It gets pulled back into a bun (with a baggy covering the ends) and I tie it down with a scarf. I do this at night before going to bed, when I get up in the morning and take the scarf off, my hair is dry.

I get weird shrinkage. Since I've been pretty much wearing my hair in a bun since May 05, the hair that is pulled back from the front is always stretched into waves as opposed to coils - even when it's wet.

So I have very little shrinkage in the front, I've got random 4a/4b patches that coil or fuzz up in the back that shrink to about 2 inches and my nape is straight. I don't know why it's straight, but for the first 6 months of my transition, I didn't use heat of any type and the new growth at my nape was as straight as the relaxed ends.

jwhitley6

Cheleigh said:
((shrugs)) I style my hair with a styling product everyday, and I make that clear in my photo album. This weekend I'm going to take photos of my hair wet and dry w/o styling product (JazzyJeni's Bohemian/Naked Challenge), but I use gel, serum, or pomade everyday, depending upon the look I'm trying to achieve. I consider this my natural hair and texture because I don't reapply throughout the day (to try and keep the same wet look), I'm not defining hair texture that doesn't exist, and I'm not trying to banish frizz or shrinkage.

But I do feel you--I don't want to feel like I have a Wave Nouveau or an S-Curl with all the product stuff.

Cheleigh, your hair is lovely. I'd wear my hair natural all the time if I had a softer texture like yours. I don't think I can deal with having to use this much product everday. When I press, I use a little oil/serum and that's it....I leave it alone for a week or so. "Natural" is so much work.

caligirl

I've been asking myself this same question because I wear a braidout 24/7 which gives me wavy hair. I always tell me people I'm natural when they ask. But really when I step out of the shower my hair is a bushy afro and not wavy at all.

jwhitley6

caligirl said:
I've been asking myself this same question because I wear a braidout 24/7 which gives me wavy hair. I always tell me people I'm natural when they ask. But really when I step out of the shower my hair is a bushy afro and not wavy at all.

yeah, it kinda feels like I'm fakin' the funk. At least when I press, people know I'm pressed. It's obvious that I don't have silky straight hair naturally. On the other hand, when my hair is "natural" I'm adding all this stuf to make it look like I have "good hair"...it feels a little dishonest. Oh well. I'll roll with it.

MeccaMedinah

caligirl said:

That's me- twistout 24/7 :ohwell:

honeycomb719

jwhitley6 said:
yeah, it kinda feels like I'm fakin' the funk. At least when I press, people know I'm pressed. It's obvious that I don't have silky straight hair naturally. On the other hand, when my hair is "natural" I'm adding all this stuf to make it look like I have "good hair"...it feels a little dishonest. Oh well. I'll roll with it.

WOW:confused:

Super_Hero_Girl

jwhitley6 said:

Sounds like you've made up your mind about if you are "cheating" or not without asking around. I wouldn't call it "cheating" exactly, for certain reasons, but I would agree with you though, it does sound like "faking the funk". And have some hair issues that you may want to deal with for yourself. :ohwell:

Last edited:

natstar

jwhitley6 said:
I usually press my hair, but I wanted to try the "natural" look today....Well, I had to use a handful (literally) of IC gel to keep my hair from looking a hot mess. I also had to blow dry, otherwise it would have taken all day for my hair to dry. I like the way it looks, but I can't possible call this my natural texture...can I? My natural texture (sans product) shrinks up into a ball of frizz that's about 1 inch in back and 3 inches in front.

What do you think? Are you "cheating" if you have to use a heaping handful of product to achieve the natural look? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

I put some photos in the gallery:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1622/cat/500/ppuser/12427/sl/j

It's not cheating. It's your hair. do whatever the hell u feel like doing to it and listen to no one else. It's just hair. I also think many people use some type some type of styling aid- whether it's to give definition, shine, moisture whatever. Just do what you prefer-there is no rulebook. HTH

lovelymissyoli

You putting your products in is no different than me putting in shea butter, leave-in conditioner, and Fantasic IC-Sparklites gel to hold my twists!

However, your process does seem a little time consuming. Do you feel as though you are cheating because you're using so many products instead of letting your hair do what it does naturally --- in other words not trying to manipulate your texture to the point that you're trying to acheive 'another look'?

KiSseS03

caligirl said:

Hahah... this reminds me of a few weeks ago, I did a Braid-Out on my transitioning hair. My girl told me that I was "perpetrating" meaning I let others think that's how my hair grew. I thought it was ridiculous, but lo and behold quite a few of my white friends actually thought that was how my hair grew naturally when they saw it :lol: Whatev... it's a styling option.

But to answer the OP's question, I don't think it's cheating at all. Most women I know, with all types of hair, don't just hop out of the shower and let their hair do what it wants. They use hairspray, mouse, gel, etc... All you are doing is styling. Your hair is sans chemicals, so to me that's your hair in it's natural state.

jwhitley6

lovelymissyoli said:
You putting your products in is no different than me putting in shea butter, leave-in conditioner, and Fantasic IC-Sparklites gel to hold my twists!

However, your process does seem a little time consuming. Do you feel as though you are cheating because you're using so many products instead of letting your hair do what it does naturally --- in other words not trying to manipulate your texture to the point that you're trying to acheive 'another look'?

No, I only used IC gel w/ sparkelites and a little hair grease. It was really wet though, so I had to go over it with my blowdryer or it would've taken forever to dry. I really didn't manipulate at all. The end result looked pretty much like the texture of my hair wet...Last night I let my hair air dry with nothing in it, and it was not cute.:lol:

I know using products shouldn't be that big of deal...I'm cool with it, I'll just consider this a styling option. If folks ask if this is my natural texture...I'll just say "sort of".:)

jwhitley6

KiSseS03 said:
Hahah... this reminds me of a few weeks ago, I did a Braid-Out on my transitioning hair. My girl told me that I was "perpetrating" meaning I let others think that's how my hair grew. I thought it was ridiculous, but lo and behold quite a few of my white friends actually thought that was how my hair grew naturally when they saw it :lol: Whatev... it's a styling option.

But to answer the OP's question, I don't think it's cheating at all. Most women I know, with all types of hair, don't just hop out of the shower and let their hair do what it wants. They use hairspray, mouse, gel, etc... All you are doing is styling. Your hair is sans chemicals, so to me that's your hair in it's natural state.

Thanks for your insight, KiSses. I'm gonna rock my pseudo-natural.:grin:

so1913

JCoily said:

I know that's right! Cause you know your girl over here is a product using feen! I don't know...I just think it's going for different looks by working with your natural texture. Sometimes I want that defined curly look, so I'll go for the gel or pudding like products, other times I want more of a "poofy", uncontrolled , big hair with added frizz. That's what I find amazing about natural hair, the tansformations and the different looks it can take on easily without the permenant change.

so1913

Cheleigh said:

Same here, in my album I state what products or methods I use to get a "look". In my April album I posted a pic of my hair in it's more unmanipulated state with little product to show that I don't wake up with a bunch of tamed curls and waves in my hair, LOL! And I love that I don't! When I wear my puffs, I want everything but "tamed" hair, lol. Believe it or not, I HARDLY wear my hair as it is in my avatar, maybe only every few weekends. It's usually slicked back into a low puff or fluffed up into a big puff. Natural hair is versatile. Enjoy every bit of it.

Last edited:

so1913

jwhitley6 said:

Well, if this is your reason for styling your hair this way...then yes. I think there's a difference if you are doing it just as an additional styling option than doing it because you are ashamed of your hair texture "as is".

Last edited:

Super_Hero_Girl

KiSseS03 said:

Well, I think your "girl" had things wrong and you are right braid outs are a cute styling option on natural hair and they are great for transitioning. But when you do it for this:

eah, it kinda feels like I'm fakin' the funk. At least when I press, people know I'm pressed. It's obvious that I don't have silky straight hair naturally. On the other hand, when my hair is "natural" I'm adding all this stuf to make it look like I have "good hair"...it feels a little dishonest. Oh well. I'll roll with it

It's more than a versatile style option and I believe that is why the OP is questioning herself. Some gel here and some shea butter there is completely different than using numerous products to get a different texture continously rather than wearing your own texture.

Last edited:

jwhitley6

so1913 said:
Well, if this is your reason for styling your hair this way...then yes. I think there's a difference if you are doing it just as an additional styling option than doing it because you are ashamed of your hair texture "as is".

Don't get me wrong. I'm not ashamed of my hair texture at all. I'm just an open and honest person. You will never find me wearing a weave that could be confused as my hair...I might wear braids (extensions)that are obviously extensions....but I won't try to act like their real....I like to be authentic. I don't wear heavy make-up. I am a "natural" person.

Also, notice that I put "good hair" in quotes. I'm not saying that's how I feel. But people may look at my hair and get the wrong impression about my natural texture....kinda like the thread where Den1 was saying she was a 4b and everybody and their mama was screaming she's a 3c-4a.

I could actually make my hair look like 3b-3c if I start pressed and add conditioner to it...but that's perpetrating a little. Feel me?

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
Country gal said:
Sweetie, you are at LHCF. We are not that militant here. :lol:
Yeah, you are using styling products....I think most people use some type of product in some way, shape or form to help their hair look more to their liking.
Cheating is getting a process done then calling yourself a "natural 3c"