Natural or Weave for College? Need Opinions!

kim

Ok, so my daughter will be starting college in the fall. She has been transitioning for almost a year and has about 2 inches of relaxed ends left(she has been natural twice before). She is now debating on whether or not to be natural or relax. She's not sure if she will be able to maintain natural hair on campus. And her major requires her to take alot of exercising classes and what not. We have thought of just weaving for the school year. What do you think she should do? Suggestions are needed. Thanks!!!!

As a college student, I would say a weave if she can get access to a person to redo it every so often and not just during school breaks. Otherwise, natural. She could toss her hair into a puff during the day for school and on weekends figure out new styles to wear out. College takes up a lot of time, but not so much time that you won't have time for your hair. There is actually a lot of down time. lol. I actually want a weave for the summer, not the school year. I guess it really depends on how much time she wants to put into her hair.

I don't understand why she wouldn't be able to maintain natural hair on campus. I (and many other naturals here on LHCF) transitioned and BC'd during college, and found it super easy. What is her natural hair regimen, and why is she concerned that she will not be able to maintain it between classes and studying (and partying :sekret:)?

I don't understand why she wouldn't be able to maintain natural hair on campus. I (and many other naturals here on LHCF) transitioned and BC'd during college, and found it super easy. What is her natural hair regimen, and why is she concerned that she will not be able to maintain it between classes and studying (and partying :sekret:)?

LOL! Yep, probably partying!!!! Honestly her whole problem is that she doesn't like putting the time and effort into her hair. She used to love doing her hair(now she hates it). And she prefers to wear her natural hair straight, which she feels takes her a whole day to get it done. I've been fustrated with her because she's treating her natural hair like she does when it's relaxed. In my opinion she's not conditioning enough, and she wants to use heat almost everyday.

^^^At first I was going to say she should go with natural. But with those additional details I suppose a weave might work better for her. But seriously I can't think of a better time than college to enjoy and grow out your natural hair.

LOL! Yep, probably partying!!!! Honestly her whole problem is that she doesn't like putting the time and effort into her hair. She used to love doing her hair(now she hates it). And she prefers to wear her natural hair straight, which she feels takes her a whole day to get it done. I've been fustrated with her because she's treating her natural hair like she does when it's relaxed. In my opinion she's not conditioning enough, and she wants to use heat almost everyday.
with that said weave seems like the best option because it offers more versatility. and can withstand heat and such much better than our hair.

natural. Im a rising senior and I cant speak for other colleges but the BW on my campus are, for the most part, anti-weave and increasingly pro-napp. Like I said cant speak for every campus but she should just stay natural she will probably have lots of company

I would say start with a weave, that way she is not worrying about her hair when school starts, then maybe after a few months she can decide whether to relax or wear her hair natural. That way her hair is protected and she doesnt have to do alot either way to maintain.

braids.

Kinky twists are good if she wants to just leave her hair alone. If she throws in a growth aid like Boundless Tresses or BeeMine she'll prolly get 3/4 to 1 inch a month and her hair will be strong and long by Christmas if she washes it and conditions it and of course makes sure the braids aren't too tight.

But honestly she should embrace her natural hair. It's in right now. Once you find your reggie, it's easy to take care of (or so I've heard via ThePerfectScore) and it's kute!! If I could start college all over I would BC right now and watch that baby fro grow throughout the 4 years.

I didn't say weave because you still have to do your hair. You have to wash it, wrap it, detangle it, straighten the part of your hair left out, and so on.

natural. Im a rising senior and I cant speak for other colleges but the BW on my campus are, for the most part, anti-weave and increasingly pro-napp. Like I said cant speak for every campus but she should just stay natural she will probably have lots of company

What she said! :yep: Tell her that she should wait until winter break to decide which way she wants to go. I PROMISE she'll thank you in the end!

From my own experience, I just finished my first year of college (im a out of state student as well). When I got there I was INTRODUCED to how beautiful natural hair was and realized I could do it too! One of my friends relaxed RIGHT before her first semester and she's already transitioning back. College is an amazing experience, it teaches you a LOT about yourself just from being in the "college" atmosphere. So like I said, she'll know for sure what she wants to do after a few months of being away from home.

ETA: As far as weaves go, at my school (PWI), our black population even had a "wear your REAL hair day" one day. I would have been embarrassed if I had a weave in at the time.....

Thanks for the advice ladies!! This has really been helpful. I'm going to make sure she reads this thread for herself. Thanks again everyone!!!!!

I'm in College and I am natural and I believe that natural hair takes longer (IMO) to maintain than a weave/twists. I know how difficult it is to care for my natural hair while thinking about class and other catastrophes.

I would vote for a low maintenance weave and then after she gets her bearings, go on to her natural hair. She would also need to find a place to find her staple products and the tools to help her style etc.

P.S. Where is she going?

If she loves wearing it straight? Why didn't she just stay relaxed? That's neither here nor there, but I can say that a lot of girls at my University are actually transitioning to natural and doing the BC. I decided to transition to natural during my sophomore year of college for the sheer reason that I hated getting my hair done (i.e. relaxed). And surprisingly enough ever since I did the BC doing my hair has been soo easy! I, however love to wear it curly. I also am required to have P.E. classes, and having natural hair makes it so easy with a quick wash and go. But if she wants it straight... then she wants it straight.... so I guess a nice sew in is the way to go, although they still require styling and maintenance.

As a recent graduate, I would DEFINATELY go with a full weave! I would have loved to wear my natural hair out; I wanted all the other "natural" girls to know that I am "natural", too! But, I, personally, just couldn't handle it and I didn't want to suffer from major setbacks. It depends on what her responsibilities are. I did my school work, worked/mentored on campus, worked out/did yoga 4 days a week, worked off-campus (worked just 20 hours total per week my last 2 years), wrote/edited for the school paper, was involved on campus, and attempted to have a social life. Lotta work. I ended up graduating Magna Cum Laude. I really don't think I could have done all of that while trying to style (or restyle/rewet) my natural hair everyday. When I had to choose between looks/books, I chose books every time. That being said, it really depends on your daughter's styling abilities, her responsibilities, and her priorities. Ya'll know best!

I'd say natural. A puff is easy! As is a wash n go fro. Also, she'll definitely find friends on campus who can braid or twist her hair for her if she cant.

But a weave, keeping that maintained during the semester seems like MORE work.

I wore individual braids w/ added hair for the last year & half of my college years so I'm partial to that over weaves and wearing natural hair out. Try to find what will be easier for your daughter. Will she able to get her weave retightened also the water quality could become a major issue also.

You can maintain any hair on campus. I don't know where you live but here weaves are expensive and college years drain the CRAP out of your money like no business. Tell her to go natural and cheap. I don't think I been able to afford a weave in the 4 years I was in college.

u might want to tell us how good she is with hair. some ppl do an excellent job with hair in college. my sister was an athlete and she transitioned, went natural, and relaxed during school. and when i didnt do it, all of it was a nightmare. she did best with braids
it really depends on the person, their skill, willingness to learn, and level of commitiment

as a college student id say natural unless she has a full weave and doesnt have to worry about blending her hair in the morning. wngs are all i do in the mornings or at night, then i throw my hair in a wet bun. btw im transitioning, but i have been natural before

My daughter has chosen to go with a weave until she finishes her transition! She wanted me to thank everyone again for the helpful advice and opinions!! @ Chickory_bee- she is going to college about 30 minutes away from home(which is in another county) so she will have easy access to her staples(I'll also make sure she is well stocked lol).
@ThePerfectScore- She really doesn't want to be relaxed because like you, she hates getting her done(she doesn't like the relaxing process), she received burns several times and her scalp is really sensitive. But she is getting at that point that most of us come to when transitioning, where you feel fustrated and you want to give up.
@EtherealEnigma- She like you plans to be very involved on campus and she doesn't want to have to worry about spending alot of time doing her hair.
@Whimsy- She is hoping to find someone on campus who can do hair!! @Ms.Blue- since she is close to home there shouldn't be any problem getting here as needed to get her hair redone. @Foodie- This is probably the number one issue her hair skills aren't the best, she is more use to relaxed styles. I think that once she gets to really know her natural hair and learns how to style it she'll be okay. Thanks again!!!

Back