Natural + straightened + workout = ?

justNikki

So, do any of you ladies with natural hair workout when your hair is straightened? I'm itching to straighten my hair, but I'm worried that all of that work will be a waste of time because it'll just revert when I start sweating. How do you prevent that?

~CurlyNikki~

This is one reason that I don't straighten! Not that I work out a lot...but I do sometimes. This probably wouldn't work for most (as I only work out 3 days a week), but on my wash days, I load up with my DT, and get on the treadmill for 30 minutes. After I'm done, I hop off, rinse and style... I do this 3 times a week, and I'm only sweating in my head when my hair is already wet, lol. Plus my body heat warms up the conditioner....kills two birds with one stone :D

KizzieNapps

This is one reason that I don't straighten! Not that I work out a lot...but I do sometimes. This probably wouldn't work for most (as I only work out 3 days a week), but on my wash days, I load up with my DT, and get on the treadmill for 30 minutes. After I'm done, I hop off, rinse and style... I do this 3 times a week, and I'm only sweating in my head when my hair is already wet, lol. Plus my body heat warms up the conditioner....kills two birds with one stone :D

This is a really good idea!!:yep:

RecipeBABY

girl natural + straightening hair + working out= mad at the world.. type 4's no what im saying.. if your going to straighten and you workout during the week .. leave it to the weekends when your most likely to go out on the town and you want to look your best. other then that those 3 things dont mix..

Eclass215

Well when I do straighten my hair I make sure to do it on a cycle when I know I'll get the most wear out of it before my roots puff up from sweat. Like I will do my hair on a Friday AFTER I work out - wear it straight fri, sat, sun, mon - and then work out again mon-fri. At least this way I get 4 days wear out of it so by the time I work out on mon and tues, it's already had some good straight days and I don't mind that it starts to poof up by tues.

Natural + straightened + workout = a hot @ss mess :nono:

That is not even an option (at least not for my thick, coarse hair). I would come out looking like an anomaly...no curls, just straight up frizzy mess.

kadej

girl natural + straightening hair + working out= mad at the world.. type 4's no what im saying.. if your going to straighten and you workout during the week .. leave it to the weekends when your most likely to go out on the town and you want to look your best. other then that those 3 things dont mix..

ITA! For those of you that don't sweat much in your head, working out may not pose an issue for your straightened hair. One of my bffs (natural, 4a/3c) works out with her hair in a high, loose ponytail, and bc her head doesn't sweat much, once she's done working out, she wraps her hair, takes it down, and voila, nice straight hair with no poofiness! I can't do this.. I swear my head starts sweating before anything else (probably bc my hair is really thick!).

Last edited:

Ms Lala

I have a friend who wears a press and works outs. SHe puts her hair up in a ponytail while exercising but on the flip side 1) she doesn't sweat much in the scalp 2) she has been pressing her hair regularly for several years and I would imagine it is "trained" as some might say.
I usually can get by w/2 days of exercising when my hair is straigtened before it looks puffy and then I'll just wear braids outs or a bun.

PinkSkates

I workout every other day and my hair is either in a high pony or pinned up. I have almost no reversion because I barely break a sweat when I exercise. But for those that dosweat heavily then you have to wear "exercise-friendly" hair styles...straight-kinky styles, blow-outs, stylish ponys, half-up, half-down. You know you gotta get creative.

justNikki

Hey there kinkerbelle and curlynikki!

Ok, it appears that consensus is it's not gonna work because my hair is thick too and I sweat (like running water) in my head when I work out....I'll take the suggestion to leave the straightening to the weekend or on a series of days when I'm not thinking about working out.

Thanks ladies. At least I know :nono:

ricochet

Well when I do straighten my hair I make sure to do it on a cycle when I know I'll get the most wear out of it before my roots puff up from sweat. Like I will do my hair on a Friday AFTER I work out - wear it straight fri, sat, sun, mon - and then work out again mon-fri. At least this way I get 4 days wear out of it so by the time I work out on mon and tues, it's already had some good straight days and I don't mind that it starts to poof up by tues.

Ditto! If I straighten I usually do it the night before my workout "off" day. Friday night, after my workout, I will do the do. I wear it Saturday and Sunday, then do some light strength training or walking. By Monday, I am ready to go at it again with the cardio! I don't get a lot of wear out of my straightened styles.

momi

ITA! For those of you that don't sweat much in your head, working out may not pose an issue for your straightened hair. One of my bffs (natural, 4a/3c) works out with her hair in a high, loose ponytail, and bc her head doesn't sweat much, once she's done working out, she wraps her hair, takes it down, and voila, nice straight hair with no poofiness! I can't do this.. I swear my head starts weating before anything else (probably bc my hair is really thick!).

This works for me too - I just wrap my hair and go for it... I do not sweat a lot in my head though...

If I run and it gets damp I just leave it wrapped until it dries...

brownsugarflyygirl

I work out twice a week and sweat in my scalp. I put my hair up in a pony tail or bun while working out but I do get some puffiness in the roots. However, using Sabino Moisture Block has helped out a lot with that. Honestly, I just rock my hair with the puffy roots...because the rest of my hair is pretty slick its barely noticeable until I try to run my fingers through my hair a little to deeply and they get caught in my kitchen :lachen:

Kurlee

I can't or my hair will revert, which is why I only straighten twice a year. Don't like to get too thrown off of my workout reggie

malachi74

For me, I don't work out the week I flat-ironed my hair or I will only work out with flat-ironed hair on the day that I'm going to wash .

Keep1Belle

I find that those who routinely straighten their hair the results are ok. I guess their hair is "trained": so to speak. Me and by BFF have the same type hair. I wear mine curly 85% of the time. She gets her hair straightened at Too Groovy salon every 2 weeks and in0between weeks she does it her self. Her roots might get a kink or two.

My hair used to be that way when I straightened but not anymore. case inpoint yesterday about 1 mile into my run on the treadmill it started poofing up. I find wearing a head band helps. today i just have it snatched back in bun with headband, its not so bad.

Im not sure wht i am going to do for the winter. wash and gos with 30-40 degree temps dont work and missing a workout is not an option.

I may get a weave.