Natural/Transitioner Question about HEAT!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I broke my heat challenge today :look: and had my mom press my new growth with a hot comb off the stove today, but everything went well - there was a few shedded hairs and very little breakge. :) I just had her press the new growth to see how much longer my hair was; it was about 2-3 inches longer since my last relaxer which was Oct 7! :eek: I don't think using the hot comb on my hair hurt anything since I haven't been using heat. But after this, I will not use heat again... back to the "No Heat Challenge." ;)

I was wondering for those naturals or transitioners that use or have used heat to straighten your hair (whether it's with a blowdryer, pressing comb, flat iron, etc.) ... does your hair revert back to it's texture/form later on??? Do you think heat damages the texture/form of your hair??? Please explain. :grin:

Thanks in Advance! :cool:

Last edited:
I don't use the hot comb anymore. blow dryer does the trick for me. Where I live its normally in the 70's around this time, but the humidity is crazy down here, so my hair will go back if I don't put it in a ponytail.

I think too much heat is bad. I don't like the hot comb, because I can't regulate it like I want to. Each person is different I guess.....

If I want my hair straight, I must use a stove hot comb. It's the only thing that gets my hair straight, now. It doesn't damage my hair. It reverts back rather quickly for me; doesn't last a whole day.

In the past when my hair was longer I used a flat iron (CHI Turbo @ 370-400 F)
and a silicone heavy serum to protect from the heat and I never had any problem with heat damage and I did it on a weekly basis. One tip a hair stylist told me was when you use petroleum products to straighten your hair the product magnifies the heat making it much hotter. It aids with straightening but it also can lead to damage.

I blowdry and press my hair weekly, and I'm not experiencing anything bad w/ my hair. I dont use heat on my hair any other during the week, so I think my hair is doing really good.
As for reverting, it depends on how active I was during a given week, but my edges are first to revert around the 3rd day, the the rest about the 5th to 6th day, but it just depends.

I agree w/ the comment about pressing w/ petroleum products, it makes my hair hold heat also, so I dont use them.
I get a really nice press using Wild growth Oil, and my hair is soft, and not very weighed down. A little gose a long way too.

I didn't use any heat while transitioning because I did not want to permanently damage the new growth. I would advise against constant heat to any transitioner. Since I know that it is possible for the naps not to snap back after a press, it's just something I will never do. Plus I don't really have the desire to wear my hair bone straight anymore either.

Now, I have used the blow dryer to blow my hair out for trims and I think that with the right techniques it will do minimal damage to the hair. My hair has always snapped right back. I guess the same could be said for pressing...but I think with pressing there's more of a risk of irreversible damage especially if it's not done right.

If I were transitioning now and just had to use heat or just had to see the new growth/relaxed ends straight, i'd probably do a rollerset or something like that.

Thanks for your responses ladies! :grin:

I think this will be the last time I press my new growth or straigthen it with heat for that matter. I'm going to take your advice mkstar826 and not use anymore heat while I transition...just to be on the safe side! :)

Last edited:
Back