Natural vs. Texlaxed (Pics Included)

aquajoyice

Hello Ladies,

Don't worry this isn't one of those :catfight: threads. I've been going back and forth contemplating texlaxing and wanted to get some feedback.

As seen in my siggy my last texlax was almost 2 years ago. Before transitioning I texlaxed every 4 months with no problems until I stretched for 6 months. Having no prior experience with my natural hair I suffering a set-back due to improper detangling. I began my transition about a year later since my ends couldn't seem to get back to what they once were. To cut a long story short i've worn my hair in fros', twist outs, braid outs, wash n' gos, half up/half down, afro puffs....just about everything you can think of. The issue is while it's great on the weekend during the week I bun. At first it wasn't a big deal because I wore buns when I was texlaxed. The good news is I love my natural hair. This idea to texlax has nothing to do with self-hate. My fro is the bomb.com and can't no one tell me otherwise. My issue is time. I don't wash or mess with my hair during the week because I refuse to style in a rush. But having only Sat and Sun to style has gotten old and I want to wear it in a texlaxed style to get the best of both worlds. I'm nervous that i'll regret and decided to post some pics so you can let me know your preference. Be honest and please leave all biased opinions at the door. I've been a member her for some time and typically consult LHCF before making any major changes. I know it seems a bit much but your opinions mean more to me than the average Joe. :grin::grin::grin:
On to the pics! The first three are natural pics and the last two are texlaxed pics.

Attachments

• 299.JPG
    299.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 376
  • Back View.jpg
    Back View.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 376
  • 239.jpg
    239.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 406
  • tn-9.jpeg
    tn-9.jpeg
    9.6 KB · Views: 388
  • l-9.jpg
    l-9.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 337

Bozcurls

I texlaxed last month for the first time ever. I used just below half the activator and olive oil. I was so afraid of ruining my curl pattern that I rinsed it out in five minutes. I can't even tell a difference. I thought I did for a few days but I guess my hair stretched from the deep conditioning session soon afterwards. Oh, well I'm too chicken to try again.

aquajoyice

I texlaxed last month for the first time ever. I used just below half the activator and olive oil. I was so afraid of ruining my curl pattern that I rinsed it out in five minutes. I can't even tell a difference. I thought I did for a few days but I guess my hair stretched from the deep conditioning session soon afterwards. Oh, well I'm too chicken to try again.

That sounds like something I would do :lol: I am litterally sitting on the fence right now half afraid i'll regret yet I really need a change. I might have to resort to flipping a coin. Seems like there are crickets in the forum this evening :lol:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
What styles do you usually wear your hair in?.i relaxed my hair for the first time in a long time almost a year ago and i do not miss my fro whatsoever. My hair is more predictable with the relaxer which i prefer.

I am currently looking into temporary straighteners to see if i can get the control without having to permanently break the bonds in my hair.maybe thats something you would be interested in too?

nlamr2013

Aw you natural hair is so beautiful.
There are a few solutions I see:
1. Texlax you know how to handle your hair and it looks pretty healthy in the pics Judy know you can't stretch for 6mo
2. Wear roller sets and the like with your natural hair. Just pin curl at night and snatch out the pins in the morning shake and go
3. Wear the bun lol if it ain't broke don't fix it

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
I texturized with Linange Shea Butter Texturizer. It's mild, didn't cause any burns, didn't kill my curls, and didn't damage my hair either (haven't noticed any breakage, or excess shedding). It's easier to style, or it would be if I wore my hair in anything but WnG's, and easier to detangle. I don't wear my hair straight, but I imagine it's easier to straighten as well.

Before you pick up the chemicals, really think about how you want your hair to look. Don't worry about anything else, because it's YOUR hair. I wrestled with texturizing for a while, because I was worried about what people would say about me not being natural anymore, but I am so much happier with my hair now! I hated how frizzy it was, and how it took a lot more effort to make it look like how I wanted it to look....now it does, and I have no regrets.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I luv your natural hair but I do know what you mean as far as the amount of time it takes to do natural hair. I was natural for almost 6yrs and my hairdresser suggested using a texturizer and I have been luving it ever since. For me, I feel like I have the best of both worlds and alot of the hair styles that I'm doing now I've done them when I was natural, but w/ less time. I have less tangles and matting and I dont feel like its a chore to do my hair. Even though I luv my natural hair, I was becoming frustrated at the amount of time and energy it took to do my hair and just really hated my hair. But on the flip side I luv the fact that it was natural and I wasnt using any chemicals or needed a hair dresser per say.

I do luv the results of my texlax hair, I dont luv the chemical process. I just had an experience where my hairdresser burned my scalp really bad; as a result I will be doing my own texturizers. I texlax 1-2x's a year and sometimes longer. I have been contemplating on going back to natural but I haven't decided yet.

Do what works for you and remember it's just hair. You can always cut & grow again :)

MsLi@512

I know this is not helping but I love your hair both ways. Been subscribed to your YT channel for two years now and your hair was great either way. Sorry!

SmileyNY

Your hair looks great both ways! I'm texlaxed & I'm not going to lie... it is the best of both worlds. I was natural for 8 years. My texlaxed hair takes to moisture better, has thick healthy ends & has never been longer.

I Texlax 3 times per year & it does wonders. I know ppl like to sing the "relaxers are damaging" song.... But the fact is, my hair has never been healthier nor longer. Everyone is different. My hair responds better to the work that I put into it with the Texlax.

However... To me (and maybe this is just because I'm thorough with my reggie)... Texlaxed hair is not easier to care for than natural hair. I only Texlax 3 times per year, so I'm dealing wit 2 textures most of the time. That takes A LOT of patience & hard work... Just as much (if not more) time as I put into my natural hair.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

discodumpling

The answers thus far are a bit confusing. Don't do it. Why is it that you have gone so long (almost 2 yrs) without chems? What is a "texlaxed style"?

Everybody that texlax's ends up transitioning to natural eventually or going bone str8.

SmileyNY

The answers thus far are a bit confusing. Don't do it. Why is it that you have gone so long (almost 2 yrs) without chems? What is a "texlaxed style"?

Everybody that texlax's ends up transitioning to natural eventually or going bone str8.

Really?? :lol: What is this based on? Or is this just your opinion/assumption?

In my case... Texlaxing is hands down the best thing that ever happened to my hair. Bone straight hair is boring to me... plus the relaxer strength is harsher on my hair. I was natural for 8 years. It was nice... but I love being able to show my length while STILL having thick beautiful hair... I never say never, but I can't see myself changing.

Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion. I don't have a problem with it. I just think it's hilarious that you feel so strongly without anything to back it up lol.

msdeevee

Very interesting thread.

I have said that I would never, ever relax again but lately I have been seriously considering texlaxing with the Linange texturizer. Since I've been natural for 8 years it seems like the Linange is new and exciting and I love the reviews on it.

I truly do love my natural hair but ssk's are the death of it. No matter what I use or do nothing helps with those so I am constantly dusting, trimming or cutting. My hair in 8 years has not gotten any longer than APL . I'm a type 4a/b so I'm not seeking WSL at all but I would love a nice, full BSL.

I do a lot of protective styles. I co-wash for now. Ive tried all kinds of routines and now on a K.I.S.S. mission. My hair is in mini-twists now and I do henna and I seal the ends with shea butter, Hair growth trigger elixir and coconut oil but I can feel the ssk's on the ends of some twists.

This may get lost in the thread but does anyone remember the poster that has a blog about how she texturized her hair and she had a tutorial about how she mixes the texturizer with half conditioner. I think her hair was a different type than mine but I liked her technique.

When she did her update everyone was complimenting her on her hair and her figure . I've searched for it but not remembering her name makes it difficult

Last edited:

Babygrowth

I'm in the same boat as you. I say experiment and get back to having fun with your hair again! Like another post stated its just hair you can grow it back! I think you already made up your mind.

brightest12day

I think your natural hair looks great but if you're really feeling the itch to texturize, why don't you try a keratin treatment instead? I've had the Coppola keratin smoothing treatment and unlike a relaxer/texturizer, it doesn't break the bonds in your hair it strengthens it, it's temporary, and will make your hair much smoother. You mentioned that time constraints during the week are also a concern, and I know that for me, the keratin cut down my styling time significantly. When I wanted to wear it straight, I could blow dry it in 5-10mins flat (or just let it air dry) instead of 30mins-1hr that it'd normally take.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Your hair is lovely. I'm biased towards your natural hair.

I know everyone says to do what works best for you, which is true, but can you try texlaxing a portion in the back? It may seem weird, especially for styling, but you will be able to compare and contrast the texlaxed portion with your natural hair.

aquajoyice

What styles do you usually wear your hair in?.i relaxed my hair for the first time in a long time almost a year ago and i do not miss my fro whatsoever. My hair is more predictable with the relaxer which i prefer.

I am currently looking into temporary straighteners to see if i can get the control without having to permanently break the bonds in my hair.maybe thats something you would be interested in too?

My hair is in buns majority of the time. :sad: I feel like now that I know more about my natural and relaxed hair this will make things a lot easier.

Have you ever tried BKT? I've gotten mixed reviews on it. Some say the chemicals are dangerous while others say it's the best thing since sliced bread.

aquajoyice

I texturized with Linange Shea Butter Texturizer. It's mild, didn't cause any burns, didn't kill my curls, and didn't damage my hair either (haven't noticed any breakage, or excess shedding). It's easier to style, or it would be if I wore my hair in anything but WnG's, and easier to detangle. I don't wear my hair straight, but I imagine it's easier to straighten as well.

Before you pick up the chemicals, really think about how you want your hair to look. Don't worry about anything else, because it's YOUR hair. I wrestled with texturizing for a while, because I was worried about what people would say about me not being natural anymore, but I am so much happier with my hair now! I hated how frizzy it was, and how it took a lot more effort to make it look like how I wanted it to look....now it does, and I have no regrets.

You hit the nail on the head. I think i'm more upset that I would not longer be considered natural. I pride myself on not being bound by the relaxer and to loose this and be relaxed is the hardest part about it.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
You hit the nail on the head. I think i'm more upset that I would not longer be considered natural. I pride myself on not being bound by the relaxer and to loose this and be relaxed is the hardest part about it.

Well, you can BKT, or you can texturize. If you BKT you go back to your natural hair, but the cons are the chemicals Are dangerous, and you just might lose your curls. If you texturize, you're back to the creamy crack, but you get hair that's easier to straighten, detangle, and style. I only chose texturizing, because I didn't want to use all that heat on my hair. Plus I decided that I wanted to stay a curly girl...I just hated all that frizz. I still look mostly natural, but I needed to love my hair...now I do.

YOU are the one that needs to love your hair. :yep:

ManeStreet

MrsJaiDiva said:
Well, you can BKT, or you can texturize. If you BKT you go back to your natural hair, but the cons are the chemicals Are dangerous, and you just might lose your curls. If you texturize, you're back to the creamy crack, but you get hair that's easier to straighten, detangle, and style. I only chose texturizing, because I didn't want to use all that heat on my hair. Plus I decided that I wanted to stay a curly girl...I just hated all that frizz. I still look mostly natural, but I needed to love my hair...now I do.

YOU are the one that needs to love your hair. :yep:

there are keratin treatments without dangerous chemicals. search for the QOD thread.