Naturals and Protective Styles

Justice4alw

Would you natural ladies please give us an idea of the types of protective styles that you're wearing?

I like variety in my styling but understand that protective styles are important. I've been wearing twists almost exclusively for the last couple of months, but I'm getting bored with them and I'm ready for a change.

londongirl3

Well I have been in braids for a while now because I am trying to grow my hair. I think you can do an updo as well or an afro as long as your hair doesn't touch your clothes.

canuck

i do bantu knots (chinee bumps) and leave them in for a week at a time. The jobs that i do however, dont really stress me about the hair, so that is all good.

I will also flat twist the front, then do twists at the back, or wear scarves and people assume that it is my religion (its all good on the protective hair front).

I can't wait to get it into one though, when i can twist it unto itself and sheild it with scrunchies... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ngaa

hey justice, after cuttin all my relaxed hair recently, i've realised that braids are the way 4ward for me coz after havin 6 inch hair for as long as i can remember (yeh i'm one of them pple who was always wonderin y the hell it didnt grow) i cant bring myself to actually wear it out in public till i gain some length

my aunt braids hair so she does my hair wen it needs re-doin and until my first goal is reached (see signature) ima have braids till i can wear twists and leave it down /images/graemlins/grin.gif (cant wait) /images/graemlins/trampoline.gif
ngaa /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

Destanee

Hi Justice
I have been wearing my hair braided w/o extensions. I try to keep them for at least two weeks, rinsing daily and using my rosewater/glycerin mix.

Justice4alw

Destinee, how do you keep your hair from looking frizzy after you rinse it? This is one of my concerns with washing my hair with my twists in (even though I still do it sometimes).

Destanee

I use the glycerin mix and tie it down for a bit. I think the daily rising is why I can only go for two weeks. LC gave me a tip- she only rinses on the weekends and uses Fruit of the earth aloe vera gel to control frizzies. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

You can take a look at my album for pics. /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

HTH

Justice4alw

Well, duh ... /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif ... I didn't think of tying it down after washing.

I do use a glycerin mix for my daily use though. I mix 1/3 part glycerin, 1/3 part Infusium 23 Moisturizing Leave-In, and 1/3 part water in a spray bottle. I've also taken to adding a couple of drops of lavender oil to the mix. It really soothes and invigorates my scalp.

I have some Fruit of the Earth aloe vera gel here at the house now. I think that I'll try your technique this weekend.

Thanks for the tip! /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

Justice4alw

To everybody,

When you speak of wearing "pin-up" styles and "updos", what types of styles are you doing besides the French twist?

londongirl3

Well I saw this lady in town with natural hair and she had an interesting style. I don't know it has a name but she explained it to me. She combed her hair back, then swept all the hair to the left like a wrap. Then she held the ends from of the hair and rolled them to the middle of her head and then used bobby pins to fix her hair. It looks something like a sausage but she used two pretty clips to make it look really nice.

Do you understand lol, it's hard to visualize /images/graemlins/smile.gif

*Edited to add, I found a picture!!!!!!!!!*

Vivien

My main styles are twists and braids. I consider these protective styles since they prevent overmanipulation of my hair. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Justice4alw

Londongirl! You are so WONDERFUL!!! ... /images/graemlins/smile.gif This is an EXCELLENT style idea!!!

And with the picture I can "see" it so clearly!!! /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

Amethyst

I've been using heat once weekly to achieve the styles I love, and plus there is so much versatility with a curling iron, especially my all time favorite, the Triple-Barrrel Curling Iron. But I'm tired of the flat-ironing, then afterward using the curling iron. So what I'll try now since using the henna has given my hair a relaxer effect, is to try wraps, rollersets, braid-outs, twists-outs, and up-does /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Amethyst

leejure

I wish I could help, but I am wearing the same old bun from 2 years ago! LOL! For "style" I add a part!

-lee

ngaa

/images/graemlins/ohwell.gif that pic is soooooooo pretty /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

[ngaa wishin she had hair long enuf to do that bun thing]

ngaa /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

hairfanatic

I personally wear the same styles I would as if I had relaxed hair but my favorite is my two twists. You know instead of to french braids going down each side, it's two twists. I also wear the french twist sometimes and every blue moon a bun.

sweetcocoa

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
londongirl3 said:
Well I saw this lady in town with natural hair and she had an interesting style. I don't know it has a name but she explained it to me. She combed her hair back, then swept all the hair to the left like a wrap. Then she held the ends from of the hair and rolled them to the middle of her head and then used bobby pins to fix her hair. It looks something like a sausage but she used two pretty clips to make it look really nice.

Do you understand lol, it's hard to visualize /images/graemlins/smile.gif

*Edited to add, I found a picture!!!!!!!!!*

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the styles I do also... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Justice4alw

Hairfanatic, oh! I see what you're saying! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I like that! You're saying that instead of two French braids, it's two French twists!

I'm going to try this. I hope that I have enough hair to pull it off. That's too cute and a great protective style. /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

sweetcocoa

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
hairfanatic said:
Here you go Justice4alw,

It's the forth picture at the top of the page (the girl with the pink ribbons on the ends of her hair) but mine are in twists. Hope this helps.

http://store.yahoo.com/easybraid/

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a cute style! I'll have to try this one also....but as twists like you mentioned... /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

Destanee

I got mine from CVS. It's usually in the section with the suntan stuff.

HTH /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Justice4alw

Londongirl and Hairfanatic, I pulled off both of the styles that you suggested today ... and they looked GOOD--if I do say so myself. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I wore Londongirl's style to work today. I styled my twists in the updo that she suggested. I got a TON of compliments on the style.

Tonight I came home and deep conditioned my hair and instead of twisting it all over I did the two French twists down the back, as per Hairfanatic's suggestion. To my surprise, I finally have enough hair to pull the sides back!!! ... /images/graemlins/grin.gif It looks so cute. My husband, mother, and grandmother think that it looks really nice.

I'm updating my hair website late tonight and posting the pictures of the new do's there.

Thanks EVERYONE for all of your wonderful suggestions! /images/graemlins/weird.gif