Naturals and the moisture issue

glamazon386

I'm going to DC tonight and leave it on. I hate DC'ing under a dryer. My skin is too sensative for the heat. I'll wash it out in the morning before work and then apply oil to seal in the moisture.

Thanks for your help!

Yeah I never use my dryer. I've had it for about 3 years now (even when I was relaxed) and I can count on one hand the amount of times I've used it. Nor do I use oil or glycerine or henna or any of these other concotions people on the board here use. I just try to keep it simple and that works for me. I agree that a leave in should help though. I generally only apply a leave in when I'm washing and going though because I need something under the gel.

ina

I always buy glycerine at the pharmacy.
I use it as a moisturizer.It's a humectant(water-attracting/binding ingredient). It holds water particles together and absorbs moisture from the air to keep hair moist.
My hair is softer and not dry at all. Also I have noticed that it makes my curls pop.

Bunny77

I didn't read the whole thread, so maybe someone mentioned this already...

But the key for me is LEAVE-IN CONDITIONER.

After I wash/rinse my hair, I saturate it with some type of creamy (not watery) leave in. My favorites are Giovanni Direct, Abba Nourishing and Elucence Moisture Balancing.

I then put my styling product on top and I'm good to go.

I used to have the same dryness issues and all the oils, deep conditioners, etc. in the world couldn't change it... but once I started using leave-in conditioner, I never had those problems again.

Miss*Tress

I DC once a week then spritz my hair with water and seal with oil every night otherwise the back and nape dry out completely.

LynnieB

any one having issues with some of the cholesterol conditioning products, check your ingredients carefully.

hated this. Le kair cholesterol plus: contain mineral oils.

hated this: Queen helene super cholesterol conditioning cream also contains mineral oils and protein.

Love this: Lustrasilk Shea Butter cholesterol plus does not contain any mineral oils. instead it has natural oils. it feels more moisturizing to me (ymmv of course )

don't give up on those cholesterols completely. watch your ingredients if something isn't working well for you, try another brand and read those labels carefully and see if it makes a difference for you.

Daily moisture, i use any of these straight or any combo of these products:

glycerin/vo5/water mix daily - sometimes i add essential oils.
Plain old vo5 and water.
World of Curls curl activator for dry hair (gel) (sometimes).
Lustrasilk Olive Oil Cholesterol (leave-in) - looking for a heavy winter product. (have this in my twists now and they are very soft and moist, especially the ends).

ToyToy

My hair was like that when I BC-ed as well. I think with time, your hair begins to adjust and you will as well.
I agree with Bmore, your hair may be "in shock". Just make sure you use a good moisturiser. You may find that you won't need water as much later on. I only wash my hair once a week. My hair actually starts to look better when it's dirty :ohwell:.

I think you should just give it some time, and don't be afraid to experiment with products :grin:. HTH

sugaplum

Star Shooter
My hair was the dryest it had ever been when I did the BC!! :shocked: But I combated with ORS Replenshing paks and doing CO washes everyday. Water on my hair hair and drinking water everyday has left my hair really moisturized.:up:

I also recalled doing an overnight treatment once a week with ORS Hair Mayo.

glamazon386

My hair was like that when I BC-ed as well. I think with time, your hair begins to adjust and you will as well.
I agree with Bmore, your hair may be "in shock". Just make sure you use a good moisturiser. You may find that you won't need water as much later on. I only wash my hair once a week. My hair actually starts to look better when it's dirty :ohwell:.

I think you should just give it some time, and don't be afraid to experiment with products :grin:. HTH

Mines does too. It's easier to get it to do stuff when it's dirty too. Like pull it back.

Evolving78

I use Qhemet Biologics Products. I love the Alma and Olive Heavy Cream and Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm. They are so thick and moisturizing. You don't even have to use a lot. That helped a lot with my dryness. I also mix my conditioner with olive olive and that helps too. If I'm leaving the house, I cowash and style my hair or I'll rock twists for a week. I hope I haven't posted in this thread already, but if I have, maybe something has changed about what I'm doing lately.

carameldiva

Henna is da bomb diggity. I have been hennaing for a year now and my recipes just get better and better. Ain't nothing to be scuurrrred of. If you have any questions. We are here for you as a resource.

Girl my goal is to have a glistening sparkling soft fro!!! CAN I GET ONE! LOL!
Leave ins do nothing for my hair. Some of them seem to make it harder to detangle or make the hair hard. That slip is not there. The softness dissapears. I love spritzing my hair though. That always works for me. I'm scared of the henna so I will do more research but I'm with the spritz combo.

Thanks!

carameldiva

I have purchased it online from www.camdengrey.com and also purchased it at walmart and cvs in the pharmacy sections. I do combination spritzes too with water, glycerin, honey, infusium 23, etc.

For the ladies that are using glycerine, where do you buy glycerine?

dany06

Tell me why my hair doesn't abosorb any moisturizing products without the help of my best friend glycerin.

ladytq

I've been using glycerine for 2 months now. What a difference in my hair!!!
Byebye dryness. I mix glycerine, water, castor oil (and sometimes I add hempseed oil) in a spray bottle and apply twice a week. My hair stays moisturized for days.

I applied vatika/alma mixture on my hair after glycerine application this past Sunday, my hair and I started singing "OH MY MY MY". I haven't had to apply anything since! My hair still feels moisturized. I think this is my favorite glycerine combo.

ScandalousBeauty

Tomorrow I am placing an order for more shea butter at The Organic Shea Butter Company. I bought some awhile back from them and I really loved the consistency, and lack of smell, and everything else about it. If you are running low on yours or you want to try something new, definitely give them a try! I want to beat it with my blender and add some oils to it. I'm also FINALLY ordering the Qhemet Biologics Heavy Cream which I have heard billions of raves over. These have been on my wish lift for awhile. I'm wondering if I will love it more than Curls Whipped Cream. I'd been using Carol's Daughter Hair Balm, which my hair LOVED, but it was pricey and it had a whooooole lotta other stuff in it. I figured I can probably make my own.