Flat iron Vs Pressing

• Hands Down Flat iron!

Votes: 84 85.7%
  • Pressing is Best.

Votes: 14 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BillsBackerz67

I get really good results with a flat iron on medium heat. Dunno which are the lesser of the two eveils. direct heat is direct heat

NikStarrr

The flat iron works best for me. Pressing makes me nervous as there is no temperature gauge (unless you have the electric one) and I don't want to hurt my curls!

sunshinne368

I wish I had the skill to use marcel irons...there's nothing like 'em. This is the truth! When I go to a stylist, I go to a lady at JC Penney's and she also works with about 4 other black stylist that specialize in ethnic hair. Ask me why she has more than 10 clients (that I have seen) with MBL or WL hair while all the other stylists' clients have very little hair to work with.

She told me the key is clarifying the hair, moisturizing/deep conditioning and very little product when straightening. She is 80 years old and I have seen her cut her own BSL hair to NL and grow it right back out at least twice.

MoMo are your talking about Ms Rubye? If tell her I said hello (Shay from NC) she did my hair for my wedding! I loved it, she brought back memories of my hair when I was in Cali!

naijamerican

Speaking of flat irons, when I was just about to plunker down some good bucks for a Chi, I was searching all over the net. Then I saw this one. I think you have to be licensed...but DANG!!! Look at the freaking results. I wish! I like the fact you can get very close to the edges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCZpM0S7jEw

Um... we need to return to this because I saw that YouTube and WOW!!!!!! If I had skills I would buy that product stat! I Went to the website and it doesn't look like you need to be licensed to purchase it. Here it is:
http://milstan.com/Store.html

I just got my hair flat-ironed and this is exactly how the woman did it, except that she didn't have such a light iron. I really want to learn how to do this myself and to use tools like this so that I can be doing my own hair. I would only see a stylist for a trim. :yep: I'm glad that you posted this. It gives me something to look forward to when I have the money and time.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Flat irons are less damaging to my transitioning hair. I had my hair pressed by a professional and the next week, i had broken hairs all over the place. That sold me on flat irons.

PinkSkates

Flat irons are less damaging to my transitioning hair. I had my hair pressed by a professional and the next week, i had broken hairs all over the place. That sold me on flat irons.

But it wasn't the pressing comb that did the damage to your hair, it was the person using the pressing comb on your hair. Their lack of skill is the culprit. It's all about skill and technique.
Direct heat is direct heat.

morehairplease

But it wasn't the pressing comb that did the damage to your hair, it was the person using the pressing comb on your hair. Their lack of skill is the culprit. It's all about skill and technique.
Direct heat is direct heat.

this was definitely the case with me. I received major heat damage from the hard press that I received last time.

fletches

I prefer the flat iron, only b/c I can't get the hot comb through my thick hair even when the sections are small and the hair is detangled. It's like my hair rebels against the hot comb. Maybe it's just my technique or lack of technique.:ohwell:

Maksi

chiming in late here, but I think the pressing comb on a medium setting is better for the hair. To me, the double sided direct heat and the fact that no air passes through there (as with the pressing comb) just intensifies the heat. Also, the flat iron places a lot of pressure on the hair. I never had problems with pressing. I suffered heat damage with the flat iron craze!

lnana04

I personally prefer a press and I think my hair reverts back better after getting it pressed than with a flatiron. Now my preference could be because I've only let stylists press my hair while I tend to flatiron it myself.

alopeciagrl

I would take the flat iron over the pressing withn a marcel and blue magis (yuk!), although i don;t agree with the lady using oil sheen and then flat ironing the hair....and where's the heat protectant?

Ditto...I can't believe stylist still use these methods. Haven't they got the memo about petroleum, mineral oils, etc. :perplexed

dany06

I like the results of the press better . The press also seemed to last longer also. For my hair health I wouldn't know which one is better overall. The flat iron would not last atleast when using a chi. I have had my hair done at Ulta a few times. The service is super fast. They used a chi on both my natural and relaxed hair. Lets just say both times my hair only lasted a day or two. I think that iron guard stuff which does sizzle causes all of the problems. Its like hairspray or something and my hair doesn't do well with those types of products.

AtlantaJJ

If Pinks Skates would press me I'd pick pressing comb in a heart beat. Just depends on who's using the tool and how they are using it, either one can be abused or used properly.

Hair Iam

Flat iron ...Hands down...the thought of pressed air scares..what if it touches your scalp:perplexed

Honey01

I have had a pressing comb in my hair since I was a child. I have been thinking about getting one for the edges and nape. I can't think of her name right now ( "pink" something, but she is really into fitness) and she uses a pressing comb. She is the one that got me to thinking about it.

ETA: did not see this thread is months old. Also, I see someone mentioned Pinkskates.

Last edited:

alopeciagrl

All I have to say is since I've been natural I have not had to press my hair with a straightening comb. Your friend must have some thick hair. However my daughter has thick hair and I've never used a staightening comb on her.

Also the I don't see how straightening your hair with Blue magic grease would not fizzle. if the Chgi iron fizzled then perhaps it was from her hair being so moisturized from what ever products her hair was washed in. But more than likely it was the oil sheen. Everyon eknows oils sheen snap, crackles, and pops.

Personally I dont use oil sheen I use hair polishers or glossers if I need a little shine.