Naturals, BKT and reversion

Sexyred

I know there are naturals on this bored that has done the BKT treatment..I would like to know how soon after the treatment did your hair revert or if it reverted at all. The weather here has been humid almost everyday and I dont want to go through the trouble of BKTing and it reverts 30 mins afterwards...Please share your experiences with the BKT if you are natural. I know there is a thread or several thread about BKT but they are really long and I am doing the treatment in like an hour or two and dont have the time to read through them...TIA

naturalmanenyc

I'm not fully natural, but have been transitioning for 17 months.

I had my BKT done on April 23 and it's reverting. It looked great after a rollerset for the first few weeks (no heat needed). I could even workout with no reversion; however, after about 6 weeks I have frizzy hair when straightened. I have not rocked just curly hair, which may not be frizzy, but it's definitely reverting.

I was also in super humid weather all this week, New Orleans, and even with sabino moisture block added my straightened hair became frizzy. I had on a straight half wig so I tucked the frizzy edges/bangs under the half wig.

I plan to do the BKT again soon, not sure exactly when though. My hair is still currently easy to detangle although it's reverting. I have not had an hour long detangling session in ages.

Sexyred

Thank you for answering naturaltobe..So your roots did not puff? This is my biggest fear My ends will stay straight until washed. I am just worried about my roots. Thanks again

Dak

I've had the treatment a little over 2 weeks now, so I can only say that from this perspective it's holding.

BKT isn't like a relaxer though, if I were to wear a straight style, get it wet for some reason, it's still is going to react to the water, just not as intensely as it did before the treatment.

I'm finding it's making the processing of caring for my hair a whole lot easier.

luckiestdestiny

I'm not fully natural, but have been transitioning for 17 months.

I had my BKT done on April 23 and it's reverting. It looked great after a rollerset for the first few weeks (no heat needed). I could even workout with no reversion; however, after about 6 weeks I have frizzy hair when straightened. I have not rocked just curly hair, which may not be frizzy, but it's definitely reverting.

I was also in super humid weather all this week, New Orleans, and even with sabino moisture block added my straightened hair became frizzy. I had on a straight half wig so I tucked the frizzy edges/bangs under the half wig.

I plan to do the BKT again soon, not sure exactly when though. My hair is still currently easy to detangle although it's reverting. I have not had an hour long detangling session in ages.
Hey naturaltobe. Curious about the frizz thing. Is it frizzy when straightened like your hair would normally be...or extra frizzy now that the bkt is wearing off. Meaning did bkt make your overall hair frizzier when it wears off, or is it just reverting back to normal (normal amount of frizz, reversion, etc)

belle_reveuse28

I want to know this too because I am naturall, just ordered some BKT to do it myself , and want to know if it's worth it or is my hair going to revert just like that.

naturalmanenyc

No, it's not more frizzy than before once it reverts after straightening. I straightened it today, just the bangs to blend with a half wig, and it's a little frizzy from me sweating on it (I'm sick).

When it's curly, it's not drying frizzy which makes me think the BKT is not completely worn off yet.

Hey naturaltobe. Curious about the frizz thing. Is it frizzy when straightened like your hair would normally be...or extra frizzy now that the bkt is wearing off. Meaning did bkt make your overall hair frizzier when it wears off, or is it just reverting back to normal (normal amount of frizz, reversion, etc)

luckiestdestiny

No, it's not more frizzy than before once it reverts after straightening. I straightened it today, just the bangs to blend with a half wig, and it's a little frizzy from me sweating on it (I'm sick).

When it's curly, it's not drying frizzy which makes me think the BKT is not completely worn off yet.

Thanks for the information. I hope you feel better!

lwilliams1922

sexyred, did you do the treatment? How did it go?
do you have photos?

From what I gather it may take naturals multiple applications before you get certain results. It also seems like your flat iron has to be right as well.

I'll be doing round 2 tomorrow (if the package arrives as scheduled).
I chaulked round 1 up to user error.

I know there are naturals on this bored that has done the BKT treatment..I would like to know how soon after the treatment did your hair revert or if it reverted at all. The weather here has been humid almost everyday and I dont want to go through the trouble of BKTing and it reverts 30 mins afterwards...Please share your experiences with the BKT if you are natural. I know there is a thread or several thread about BKT but they are really long and I am doing the treatment in like an hour or two and dont have the time to read through them...TIA

cutenss

Mu hair did not revert back. I did mine on a Thursday evening/night. That whole weekend(Friday, Saturday and Sunday), it was wet, rainy and humid. :nono: reversion, :nono:FRIZZ!. Since I am a natural, I know that the treatments are supposed to wear off faster that processed hair (relaxed and or color treated) I have already decided to do it once a month. It is worth it for the detangling alone. And I have not noticed any "knots" and the ends of my hair. HTH :yep:

Also: Don't forget to post pics!

sheba1

Mu hair did not revert back. I did mine on a Thursday evening/night. That whole weekend(Friday, Saturday and Sunday), it was wet, rainy and humid. :nono: reversion, :nono:FRIZZ!. Since I am a natural, I know that the treatments are supposed to wear off faster that processed hair (relaxed and or color treated) I have already decided to do it once a month. It is worth it for the detangling alone. And I have not noticed any "knots" and the ends of my hair. HTH :yep:

Also: Don't forget to post pics!

I second that emotion! :yep: No knots since my first bkt and I used to have single strand knots aplenty! See my first bkt application in fotki for pics of the knotted mess.

I think it's totally worth it to apply the treatment once per month, if necessary also. And even though some things begin to wear off; like it's not quite as smooth after the 5 week or so, the detangling benefits last a couple months, I think, even on naturals. So if you know you're going to be protective styling; bunning and whatnot, maybe? Then I think you could easily get away with doing the treatment once every other month.

Last edited:

Sexyred

sexyred, did you do the treatment? How did it go?
do you have photos?

From what I gather it may take naturals multiple applications before you get certain results. It also seems like your flat iron has to be right as well.

I'll be doing round 2 tomorrow (if the package arrives as scheduled).
I chaulked round 1 up to user error.

I did my BKT on Saturday and let me tell you, if you have major detangling issues like me you MUST try the treatment. Normally on wash days it would take me anywhere from 5hrs to all day washing and detangling, it was always a nightmare for me but since the BKT I was able to wash my hair without putting it in plaits and the peace to resistance is when I got out the shower and started blowing drying I was completely sold. It took me 15-20 minutes to blow dry my hair..let me say it again it took me 15-20 mins to blow dry my entire head. That has not happened in never. So just for the easy of detangle and combing my hair without knots galore or any at all, I will definitely be doing this every 2 months. Now I did not get my hair super straight because I have thin hair and was afraid of the heat damage but my curls are luscious and they hang more....my best friend made a joke and said my hair looks like I have indian in my family:lachen:. It took me about 4-5 hours to do the treatment. Love, love wash days now. sorry for the blabing

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Rolling at the bolded....:lachen:. I get that a lot. :look: from random strangers, no less.

I digress.

I'm glad it worked better for you, LWilliams, can you posts pics? I knew you'd be happy with the next go round. :yep:

I did my BKT on Saturday and let me tell you, if you have major detangling issues like me you MUST try the treatment. Normally on wash days it would take me anywhere from 5hrs to all day washing and detangling, it was always a nightmare for me but since the BKT I was able to wash my hair without putting it in plaits and the peace to resistance is when I got out the shower and started blowing drying I was completely sold. It took me 15-20 minutes to blow dry my hair..let me say it again it took me 15-20 mins to blow dry my entire head. That has not happened in never. So just for the easy of detangle and combing my hair without knots galore or any at all, I will definitely be doing this every 2 months. Now I did not get my hair super straight because I have thin hair and was afraid of the heat damage but my curls are luscious and they hang more....my best friend made a joke and said my hair looks like I have indian in my family:lachen:. It took me about 4-5 hours to do the treatment. Love, love wash days now. sorry for the blabing