Naturals - Have you noticed your hair curls a certain direction?

KurlyNinja

I've always wondered this... yes I know weird... :look: but does your hair spiral a certain direction? Or is it just a bunch of different curls in different directions? Or does half spiral one way and the other half another way... just kinda curious. lol.

I never paid attention till now. Don't you have work to do? :lol: Giving me work as if I didn't have other things to do. :rolleyes: You know now I won't rest till I find out. :pullhair:

Oh wait...I might be able to answer at least w/r/t the hair in the front. :grin: BRB

My hair at the front (easiest to see) seems to coil clockwise:

IMG_6076-vi.jpg

4BDefinedCoilsWashnGo-vi.jpg

I also have pics of hair a little further back. This first pic shows you what section you're looking at:
eTheAreaTheExperimentWasDoneOn-vi.jpg

Then these pics show close ups and it does seem like the spiral is in a clockwise direction. You sorta have to find a section where the overlap clearly shows what direction the coils are going and it looks like it's clockwise there too:

Wet4BHairCloseUp-vi.jpg

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if it's really not all clockwise. If you take a phone cord and you twist it somewhere in the middle so that the coil forms a U bend, methinks the spirals after the U bend go in an opposite direction from those before the U bend. And because of the diameter of hair, those U-bends come about more often/easily so....

Last edited:
Nonie, I love when you post pictures of your hair. :love2: It's so very beautiful and it's obvious that it's well-loved and taken care of. :yep:

As to the OP, I've actually never paid attention to the direction of my curls. They just seem to curl up to the heavens! :lol: That's all I know. :yep:

@Nonie your right. I've never noticed that. But where the U bend is the hair does start to turn in the other direction. Its EXACTLY like a phone cord. I wonder how many other naturals know about this!

Back