Naturals: Hot comb or flat iron?

I used a flat iron for about 2 years. Then I got my electric hot comb and I am not turning back.
After I started my transition the flat iron just wasnt doing it for me at all. But that electric hot comb......OOOOOHHHH Girl! I've found a new best friend. It's a serious help though my transition when I'm not wearing my braids.

Or it could have been that I just had a cheap flat iron from CVS lol

1st - great thread OP!
2nd - I just got a professional blow dry & flat iron for my trim. My hair has not reverted yet. It makes me think that I should stay away from any type of heat. I specificly asked if they were using a heat protectant etc. In fact this is the salon that convinced me I could be natural and straight. Would it be terrible of me to ask (or off topic) how long it should take for my hair to revert or how to get it to revert once you wet it again. Its been 2 weeks and I'm still waiting:sad:.
Your hair should revert once you wet/wash it again if it was done properly.

Flat iron is easiest because I don't have to keep running between the stove and the bathroom like I do for pressing. Oh, when I use a pressing comb, I use the old school one (kizure), the kind you put on actual fire. I don't burn my hair because I know how to test if it's too hot. Anyway, I use the flat iron more regularly. I never get my hair straight, but it's stretched enough for my purposes. I do believe that nothing can straighten my hair like a pressing comb, though. Before wearing my hair kinky, I was a press and curl girl. I hardly ever had a relaxer. Same for my whole family. We straightened with the comb.

mwedzi your new siggy is :blush:. I agree that nothing has ever gotten my hair as straight as a pressing comb for as long, but I prefer a flat iron because pressing combs scare me when not handled by professionals (aka, not me)

On another note for you flat iron ladies, what temps are you flat ironing at?:look:

I prefer a flat iron. I haven't used a hot comb since I was a child, plus I just know my technique well enough with flat irons that they do the job for me.

Back