Naturals---How do you know when your hair needs protein??

Crystalicequeen123

So naturals, how do you know when your hair might need a little protein in the regimen? :look:

My hair has been shedding quite a bit lately (more than usual), and I notice that it wasn't shedding like this back when I first bc'd. I haven't done a protein treatment in my hair since I bc'd (when I was relaxed I would do a protein treatment like once every 3 months or so), and it's been almost a year! :shocked:

I've been putting it off because I'm scared a deep protein treatment would tangle my hair something fierce and make it hard and unmanageable :nono:

Any advice?

faithVA

You may want to start with a light protein until you know if your natural hair really needs protein.

You can use an oil that has high protein or a shampoo/conditioner that has protein and see if that works for you.

If you need something a little stronger then maybe a reconstructor like Aphogee.

And only after trying those would I recommend doing a strong protein treatment.

My hair does fine with just the protein in my oils, conditioners and styling products. The reconstructor for me is a little too much protein.

So you may have to try a few things to see what the correct amount is for you. Can't answer the question of when because my hair needs so little there aren't any real signs.

Kirei

So naturals, how do you know when your hair might need a little protein in the regimen? :look:

My hair has been shedding quite a bit lately (more than usual), and I notice that it wasn't shedding like this back when I first bc'd. I haven't done a protein treatment in my hair since I bc'd (when I was relaxed I would do a protein treatment like once every 3 months or so), and it's been almost a year! :shocked:

I've been putting it off because I'm scared a deep protein treatment would tangle my hair something fierce and make it hard and unmanageable :nono:

Any advice?

It may not be that you need protein, you might need more iron in your diet. Garlic also helps with shedding and so does fenugreek.

If you haven't colored, flat ironed, or anything too heavy for your hair, you probably are just going through a cycle.

:yep:

Crystalicequeen123

Thanks for the input ladies!

What are the signs that your hair might need some protein?

I'm wondering if maybe my iron levels are low as well. :look: I usually would use Nexxus Emergencee when I was relaxed, and it was a pretty good protein treatment, and it wasn't SUPER duper strong like Aphogee. But I'm wondering if my natural hair can take it.

What is considered a "light" protein? I don't use protein often, so I don't know the different levels of protein in certain products.