Naturals! How long did it take you to get a PUFF??

KiSseS03

Or how many inches of hair did you need?

I'm trying to see if my hair will be long enough by July, when I hope to BC. I'm guessing that I'll have about 4 inches of natural hair by then... not sure if that's enough to make a cute puff. But I see myself chillin on the beach with a cute puff and flower...

hahaha... so how long did it take you??

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Hmmm... what kinda of puff are you looking for?

1. shrunken puff - headband around edges
2. stretched out puff -headband around edges
3. shrunken pony puff - ponytail holder
4. stretched out pony puff - ponytail holder

It took about 7-8 months (from May '05 to Jan '06) for me to be able to have a nice size shrunken puff and stretched out puff. My hair was about 3.5-4.0 inches in January. Now, my hair is about 5 inches and it is still too short to get all my hair into a ponytail holder in order to wear a shrunken and stretched out pony puff.

NewYorkgyrl

Good question. This will determine when I will do the BC. If I don't have enough hair to do a puff the way I might like it then i will wait until I can get some more length to it.

Cheleigh

Depends on your growth rate and hair type (by which I mean your shrinkage percentage).

I transitioned for a year, and had about 5" of hair, and now 13 months post relaxer maybe 6". I can wear a shrunken or stretched out puff (as defined by Poohbear). My "4b" hair probably could be pulled into a small puff if I tried really hard, but my "4a" hair--not even close--too much shrinkage. I hope to have a small shrunken ponytail puff by the end of the summer, 18 months post relaxer.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
so1913 said:
Agree that with the other ladies that individual hair characteristics and what kind of puff you are looking to achieve will determine your time frame.

I had transitioned for about 16 months, and cut out relaxer, leaving me with a puff this big

http://images6.fotki.com/v93/photos/3/326741/1221044/puff6_04-vi.jpg

So that's about 16 months worth of growth for me.

I'm chopping at month 16, this is very helpful!

KiSseS03

Thanks ladies... and yeah, I was talking about a puff with a headband (stretched or shrunken)!

naptrl

Dr. Naptrl :)
It actually took me only about 6 months...maybe a little less. I used one of the long stretchy combs to pull my hair back.. My avatar is my hair at that point. I big chopped to about 2 inches

KiSseS03

Yea! This gives me hope that I'll be able to get one when I chop, or at least by the end of the summer!

OT: I just saw a guy that I talk to sometimes, on campus.. he usually wears braids... but he had a huge natural ponytail today! I'm soooo jealous, his hair grew FAST!

bluenude

it also depends on the shape your hair is cut. I have 5-6 inches of natural hair and still can't do a puff because of shrinkage and the way i cut my hair (accidently) when I cut off all the permed ends

Victorian

old head
Your ability to make a puff depends on the length of your hair in the front, and to a lesser extent, the sides.

Consider where on your head you want the headband to be, then measure from your front hairline to the far side of the band (meaning you should include the width of the band because you want your hair to be held securely). That'll give you an approximate length when you'll technically be able to do one. You'll probably be able to muster one a little sooner if you use a holding product and/or clips for the pieces that aren't quite staying put with just the headband. Of course if you want a bigger puff you're going to have to wait longer.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
When I first BCD it took me 5 months to get a big puff. But it might take me longer this time. I was almost bald when I BCD.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
When I first BCD it took me 5 months to get a big puff. But it might take me longer this time. I was almost bald when I BCD.

Carlie

KiSseS03 said:
Or how many inches of hair did you need?

I'm trying to see if my hair will be long enough by July, when I hope to BC. I'm guessing that I'll have about 4 inches of natural hair by then... not sure if that's enough to make a cute puff. But I see myself chillin on the beach with a cute puff and flower...

hahaha... so how long did it take you??

4 inches of hair is more than enough. With the right headband or scarf, you can make a cute puff w. almost any amount of hair! :cool:

KiSseS03

Ok I just wet my hair in the shower, and I think I'm going to be good for my puff by July!! I did a test with the front strands of hair, like BlackCardinal mentioned (thanks for the tip!) and I was able to push a headband back pretty far already... I also didn't realize that my nape was at the bottom of my neck already! So yea... look forward to another BC in July :)!

hairlover

i've been transitioning for 13 months now and i'm trying to wait until 24 months before i bc, but i've got the bc itch coming on. maybe i can hold out til december.(that gives me 8 more months) i'm trying to get an inch per month ( i have mixed together a great pepperminty oil that seems to stimulate my scalp nicely.) i'll let you know if it helps.

curlilocs

Around the beginning of middle of December I started playing with puff making. So around six months of growth from a very short TWA. I didn't full attempt to rock one in public until June, But I think by March I could have made an ok looking one.

MzTami

Hellerrrr
bluenude said:
it also depends on the shape your hair is cut. I have 5-6 inches of natural hair and still can't do a puff because of shrinkage and the way i cut my hair (accidently) when I cut off all the permed ends
Me too.. My shrinkage is horrible and hair is thick, but then again, I don't try to do a puff because my hairline is very fragile and don't like any stress at all. My hairline stress from headbands.