Naturals please help with my sister (products)

danysedai

Hi Ladies, my sister still lives in Cuba and there are basically no products for our hair (natural or relaxed) and what is there is very expensive for cubans. My mother is visiting me and she's going back in January and I want to send my sis some products. She wears her hair naturally curly and sometimes in a puff. Last time I sent her some gel that I found (Softee? Softree?I don't remember,big plastic tub with green lid),some ORS olive oil lotion and ORS shine spray and she liked it,but I was wondering if you ladies could recommend products so I can make a list and see what I can find.

I will need:
1. A shampoo
2. conditioner
3. gel
4. moisturizer

there are 2 pictures of her hair, when it's dry is puffier of course, she would like something for curl definition (she usually does 2-strand twists or just airdries)

tuffCOOKiE

POO: Cream of Nature Moisturizing Shampoo (no sulfates - good for curly hair)
Keracare Hydrating Shampoo ( has sulfates but moisturising)
DevaCurl No-Poo (you can get this at BSS)

Condish:
Aussie MOIST (this you can find at Target/Supermarkrt) use this for a Co-Wash
Tresseme (cowash)
ORS Pack (DC)

Oils - get her some avocado oil - I know you didn't ask - she could use just a TINY bit and it goes a lon way

Moisturiser-
Aveeno Leave In Conditioner(it's a spray but I lovvve this as a refresher)
I havent tried this but - Oyin Whipped Pudding (Oyinhandmade.com)
Lont Term Relationship Leave in Conditioner- this is creamy and mixes well w an oil to seal but tell her not to use too much or it will build up

Curl Definition:
DevaCurl SetmeUP (or, "setitup- I forget the name)
DevaCurl has a clear gel also that has GREAT definition but I don't use the curl prods bc I don't have natural curls so.. maybe someone else can chime in. I kno it works bc a friend of mine uses it

I tried not to list too many so it will not overwhelm you. I also tried to list things that you can find in a store so you don't have to spend too much time/money on ordering online (I don't know how close you are to anything)

Your sister has gorgeous hair but make sure you school her on techniques as well!! Keep up the good work in spreading good hair care!!

jamaraa

School her on techniques? LOL...look at how great her hair is WITHOUT products! Nah, she should be teaching us.

OK OP....get her a nice wide toothed "bone" or "resin" comb...they are seamless. They aren't too expensive, search ebay under both two quoted words for best price.

Motions products are good and cheap and can be bought in large containers, BUT if you live close to any place w/ Dominican products, I go for 1st. Not only do you not have to worry about translation, they are cheap, and you can buy very large containers at good prices. You might be able to order them online if you can't find them in stores. Roundbrushhair.com and beautyofnewyork.com are great places to look for DR products.

The Miss Key line and Silicon Mix are nice. Lacio Lacio leavin in is superb.

Last edited:

Bubblingbrownshuga

I really like this product line. It's mainly natural ingredients.

myhoneychild.com

I don't care for her shampoos, but I do like the following;:
Olive you! or Honey and horsetail conditioner, whipped soy hair jelly and the twistout creme.

For a shampoo, I really like kinky curly's come clean.

DMJ's Mom

My favorites:
Shampoo: herbal essences Hello Hydration
Conditioner Pantene relaxed and natural breakage defense (I mix in some EVOO or EVCO to help with detangling
Gel: EcoStyler (I love the new one with olive oil)
Moisturizer: Raw shea Butter ( I have to put it in wet hair or else I'm too heavy handed)

lbellin

I don't use shampoo, but:

conditioner
Herbal Essences: Totally Twisted

leave-in
Herbal Essences: Long-term Relationship

gel
Ecostyler gel

Moisturizer
Qhemet Biologics Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm

MizzBrit

1. A shampoo: baking soda and water
2. conditioner: herbal essences hello hydration/aussie moist
3. gel: Eco styler
4. moisturizer:water/glycerine/aloe vera gel

danysedai

SORRY LADIES!!! i subscribed to this thread to see if anybody answered and didn't get any alert, so I just assumed nobody had answered, THANK YOU!!!!

printing this thread :)

Last edited:

ladytea

Forgive me for the short list, but I really KISS. So here are my suggestions:

Shampoo: Root Stimulator Aloe Shampoo (to clarify) I think $8.99
Garnier Fructis Moisture Works (regular shampooing) Target $4.55

Conditioner: Garnier Fructis Moisture Works Target $4.55 or
Aussie Moist (don't remember $)

Twist outs: Mix the Garnier Conditioner with Shea Butter $9.99 from BSS and
castor oil from Whole Foods $12.99 big bottle (and maybe coconut oil
Walmart $9.99 large container)

I don't use gel so I can't recommend one.

danysedai

Thanks again, I bought her a big tub of coconut oil so far, I'll check some of the products, my city doesn't have a lot of them, but I'll check anyway :)

dynamic1

Shampoo - Although I am not a fan of shampoo I do recommend Abba Pure Curl Shampoo (if you can still find it). My hair feels soft, not tangled and the curls start to form after using this one, yet my hair still feels clean. Other shampoos leave me with a big tangled, matted, cotton ball.

Conditioner - Aubrey Organics -Island Naturals, Honeysucke Rose, GPB, Herbal Essences Long term relationship......as a recovering product junkie, let me stop there.

Leave in - Kinky Curly Knot Today or Shea Moisture Shea Butter Leave In

Defining - Kinky Curly Curling Custard or Eco Styler - yellow, pink, white, blue, olive (I like them all for different hold. You cannot go wrong if she doesn't mind gel). Her hair might be defined after just the conditioner and leave-in. She may just want a bit of gel or hold for the canopy.

She is doing a good job with her hair if she is having a hard time finding products.

Last edited: