Naturals!!! Question about detangling...

qchelle

Hello all! I have some questions for yall. I'm a transitioner at 6 months post and am looking forward to being natural!

How long does it take you to fully detangle your hair?

How often do you dentangle it?

What is your detangling technique?

What's your hair type? (Please include the curl size, the thickness of your strands, and the overall thickness/density of your hair if possible)

What length is it?

Any other comments and questions are welcome! :grin:
TIA!

SimJam

abt 30 mins
I should add that it takes this long bc Im usually twisting up for a twistout or to wash (I wash in small sections maybe abt 20 twists)

every 2 weeks

finger detangle with either VO5 moisture milks or sunflower oil, twisting up each section as I finsih it

I detangle with my "denman" once a month

I manly keep my hair stretched and untangled so the actual detangling in minimal .... so the main objective rlly i to get rid of shed hairs

What's your hair type? (Please include the curl size, the thickness of your strands, and the overall thickness/density of your hair if possible)

4b thick strands dense hair - pen spring size curls where my hair curls , frizzy otherwise

What length is it?

6 to 6.5 inches / CBL at longest layers

interestingly its been taking me less time to detabgle as my ahir gets lobger - go figure

Last edited:

truequeen06

A few minutes.

Every other day.

I detangle in the shower with conditioner while the water is flowing over my hair. I use one of those paddle brushes.

I'm not exactly sure of my hair type, but most say it's a highly textured 3b/3c. My hair is of medium density.

What length is it?

Just touching on hip length

southerncitygirl

Hello all! I have some questions for yall. I'm a transitioner at 6 months post and am looking forward to being natural!

How long does it take you to fully detangle your hair? it takes me longer than most because i detangle small sections ans style simultaneously ( i do twistouts and put perm rods on the ends) so it takes an hour but my hair is completely twisted up....if not for this detangling only probably wpouldn't take anymore than 10mins or so

How often do you dentangle it?[COLOR="DarkOrchid" weekly on wash day when wet[/COLOR][/COLOR]
What is your detangling technique?[COLOR="DarkOrchid"] i use a shower comb and a water based creamy moisturizer. since i wash my hair in 4 plaits and condition in 3-4 plaits. i take each of these sections and break them in subsections add more product (gel and hair cream) them place perm rods on each end.
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
What's your hair type? (Please include the curl size, the thickness of your strands, and the overall thickness/density of your hair if possible) 3c, medium density strands except around hairline which is fine, my overall head of hair is very, very dense...there's tons of it![/COLOR]

What length is it? longest layer is bsl when straightened, twistouts are shorter than sl

hth

Last edited:

danigurl18

How long does it take you to fully detangle your hair? 15 minutes
How often do you dentangle it?once a week

seperate into 4 or 6 sections that are 2 strand twisted, wet in shower, apply Tresseme Flawless Curls conditioner to each section, untwist one section, apply more conditioner, use shower comb to detangle, run paddle brush through the section, retwist, repeat for all sections, rinse in shower while still twisted

What's your hair type? (Please include the curl size, the thickness of your strands, and the overall thickness/density of your hair if possible) 3c/4a, thin strands/ high density
What length is it?APL

RoundEyedGirl504

I've gotten it down to about 35 minutes

Once per week.

I just started this recently and its been working great. I separate my hair into about 8 sections. I do this on dry hair by the way. I spray each section with a mix of conditioner/water (right now I I have HE Color me happy in the mix), saturate the section with oil (I like sweet almond) and detangle. Once the section is detangled I braid it and move onto the next until my whole head is complete. I shampoo and DC in the braids as well.

4A/4B, fine strands but very dense (a lot of strands)

What length is it?

I am about NL

Amoreofcurls

30mins to 1hr (depending on style) short amount of time if hair is stretched...

1x a week

I fingerdetangle my hair while dry before washing, I use Vatika and Amla Oil for slip....

What's your hair type?
3c/4a, fine-normal strands, thick in density

What length is it?
APL

MyAngelEyez~C~U

How long does it take you to fully detangle your hair? 20 minutes or less

How often do you dentangle it? once a week

What is your detangling technique? In the shower, conditioner-drenched hair, four sections.

What's your hair type? (Please include the curl size, the thickness of your strands, and the overall thickness/density of your hair if possible) medium density, medium-fine strands, 4a/3c, curl size range from sharpie, pencil, and crochet needle

What length is it? Teeny Afro, approx. 6-7".

Mrs. Verde

How long does it take you to fully detangle your hair? 10-15 mins, but I slather a detangling agent on it (conditioner or serum like cowboy magic)

How often do you dentangle it? once a week

What is your detangling technique? I finger detangle throughout the week. I detangle once a week with big tooth comb.

What's your hair type? (Please include the curl size, the thickness of your strands, and the overall thickness/density of your hair if possible) Hair type? I don't know. Fine density.

What length is it? MBL i think, I haven't straightened in a minute.

TIA!

See my answers above in blue.

nikolite

How long does it take you to fully detangle your hair? When I finger detangle (majority of the time), it takes me about 15 minutes to do my whole head. When I use a comb (only once a month), it takes me about 18 minutes because I finger detangle and then go over a few strokes with a wide-tooth comb.

How often do you dentangle it? I have a 2-month regimen in which I wear a 4-week protective style for the first month (usually cornrows and sometimes box braids) and for the second month I change my hairstyle every week or two, wearing bunned twists, french braids, etc. So for the first month I only detangle once at the end with a wide-tooth comb, then the second month I detangle every week: three times with my fingers and the last time using a wide-tooth comb.

What is your detangling technique? I always pre-poo my hair by saturating it with castor and coconut oil and let that sit for overnight. Then I add more oil or cheapo conditioner and detangle each of 4-6 sections under running water in the shower with my fingers, by holding my hair taut and pulling apart large tangles before running my fingers through a little. I twist each section after I'm done, and this is all before I shampoo my hair. At the end of each month, I follow my finger detangle with a wide-tooth comb to make sure I more thoroughly remove any shed hair.

I also keep my hair stretched 99.9% of the time so detangling isn't a big hassle for me.

What's your hair type? (Please include the curl size, the thickness of your strands, and the overall thickness/density of your hair if possible) 3C/4A. Fine but pretty dense hair (lots of fine strands). I henna and use protein regularly to keep my hair feeling more coarse.

What length is it? APL.

Last edited:

diadall

about 5-10 mins

I cowash daily and I detangle in the shower.

shower comb and when I come out of the shower I use it and my Denman brush.

What's your hair type? I am 3b and 3c. My curls are big in the back and on the sides. They are tighter at the crown.

What length is it? SL

La Colocha

10 mintues

1x a week

Using suave almond and shea conditioner, i detangle from ends to roots with a revlon paddle brush. I have my hair in 8 sections and detangle each section then braid after detangling.

Old photo in avi, coily

What length is it?

Last time i checked apl

TIA!

Answers in are bolded.

loshed

How long does it take you to fully detangle your hair? Around an hour. It takes me longer because I mostly wash and go which leads to more tangles.

How often do you dentangle it? It varies. Sometimes once a week, sometimes every 2 weeks

What is your detangling technique? 8 twists, a wide tooth comb, a goody's paddle brush and lots of conditioner with some oils added in.

What's your hair type? (Please include the curl size, the thickness of your strands, and the overall thickness/density of your hair if possible) 4b, average strand thickness, thinner density.

What length is it? APL

mariofmagdal

About 30 minutes.

Weekly.

Loads of Conditioner and a WIDE tooth comb. Start at the ends and work my way up. If it is a bad matted mess, I will start at the top and work down.

Natural 3a-3b (med -thin)

What length is it?

close to full HL.....reaching for TB

aa9746

How long does it take you to fully detangle your hair? 2+ hours

How often do you dentangle it? Depends, sometimes once every 2wks or every 4wks. This fall I'm doing a super long stretch trying to reach mbl so my hair has been braided up 10wks now.

What is your detangling technique? Mostly Fingers

What's your hair type? (Please include the curl size, the thickness of your strands, and the overall thickness/density of your hair if possible) Mostly 4b, fine and medium strands

What length is it? 13 1/2 inches as of Sept. My next length check is in Dec.

ladylo

How long does it take you to fully detangle your hair? 30-40 minutes (including the time it takes to section and braid it)

How often do you dentangle it? every 7-10 days.

What is your detangling technique? Separate hair into 8 sections. Wet down in the shower. Then detangle section by section with my fingers and wheat germ oil braiding each one up when done.

What's your hair type? (Please include the curl size, the thickness of your strands, and the overall thickness/density of your hair if possible) 4b with mostly medium and some fine strands, the density is thick.

What length is it? it is the same length all over my head which means it falls in layers, The lower part of my head is not quite BSL. The strands on every part of my head measure 12 inches.

Any other comments and questions are welcome! :grin: Detangling this way is new to me and I have only done it twice so far but it has worked far better than anything else I've tried up to this point.
TIA!

Answers above in bold

Sweet_Ambrosia

10-15 mins.

At least once a week

I finger detangle my hair in large braided sections while it's wet and loaded with conditioner+oil

3c/4a Medium Strands and Medium Density

What length is it?
MBL

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
5-10 minutes

I fully detangle it whenever I wash my hair which is once or twice a month.

After washing and conditioning, I soak my hair and detangle with a Goody Ouchless brush under the flowing water from the shower head. The pressure from the waterflow aids in the speedy detangling process for me.

My hair type is 4a/b. I have tightly coiled and kinky hair. My hair strands are fine/thin, but they are very densely compacted together. I have about 80+% shrinkage.

What length is it?
Between APL and BSL when stretched/straightened

Second2None

How long does it take you to fully detangle your hair? 5-10 mins

How often do you dentangle it? every night or 2 days

What is your detangling technique? jilbere shower comb in the shower, every so often denman brush too

What's your hair type? (Please include the curl size, the thickness of your strands, and the overall thickness/density of your hair if possible) 3c/4a/4b, fine strands, very dense

What length is it? longest layer is BSL, shorter layers are between BSL and APL

TIA!

answers bolded above :)

PJaye

Between 10-15 minutes

How often do you detangle it?
Twice a week during each deep conditioning session

While the hair is still saturated with deep conditioner, I make a center part and detangle in sections from left to right using my beloved Goody Shower Comb

What's your hair type?
3C, medium strands; low to medium density; small S-shaped waves and pen-sized corkscrew spirals

What length is it?
Somewhere between APL and BSL; I haven’t straightened my hair since earlier this year