Naturals that were once relaxed post up your pics of your relaxed days!

MsLizziA

Yes Ma'am I did! :lachen:
Years later I realize WHY my hair looked a HAM most of the time. Its because I was going to the salon every week and my hair was over-processed. They would put the relaxer on from root to tip. Back in the early 90's when I was doing my own hair, I realize now that I was texlaxing (didn't know) and stretching for 16 weeks at a time. I was a DIY'er back then. As soon as I stopped doing my own hair my never went past shoulder length without breaking off. So to anyone that is on the hair care journey, whether relaxed or natural, I say do your own hair and stay away from the salon.

1st pic: Me - early 2007 when I was transitioning (notice how much my hair grew in 2 months - with relaxers it grew but always broke off)
2nd pic: Me today with curly hair
3rd pic: My straight hair
I love the natural on you!

MsLizziA

Triniwegian

I am in awe... My hair was pitiful when relaxed and as a natural it is still pitiful.
I might get a wig because I can't hang with ya'll.
Absolutely stunning ladies!!!

Anew

Forgive me in advance, this post is kinda pic heavy

The first few pics are from 2008, they don't really show my length but you can get a feel for how I wore my hair whenver it wasn't in a ponytail or pinned up

this is christmas 2007 I think

Got serious about getting some length here, finally. july 2008

July 2009\

november 2009

Curious about what my natural hair looks like

bantu knot out

3 weeks before the BC, just took my braids down. I stopped caring for my ends, bad I know but I knew they were about to get chopped soon. March 2010

hair was in a bun, you can see the newgrowht

THE BC (she washed and combed my hair out before taking the pic)

and here is how i'm wearing my hair now. i did a mini photoshoot. pics of me before the bc, during the bc, after the bc, after my hair was twisted, and he took pics of my stylist giving me an updo (he took step by step pics) it may or may not get published in a hair mag.

although that pic isn't bad bad, i like me without makeup. that was my first time wearing it EVER, i'll be 30 this year, lol.. if I did wear it again I'd prefer the more natural, subtle look. not too heavy

Last edited:

BlackMasterPiece

/\ You're really pretty and dont even really need makeup *love* the BC pix!:love3:

What kind of hair did they use on you for the kinky twists? Those twists are spectacular!:grin:

Anew

Thanks BMP! I have no idea what kind of hair they used, its a different kind than what they usually use on me.

ConstantlyDynamic

I don't have many pics showing my hair because (1) I kept it in a bun most of the time anyway (2) most of my "hair down" or "nice hairstyle" pics are in my photo album at home:(

so i went through my facebook and found 3 photos. in two i have my hair down and, in the dorm room one, i have my hair up in a bun. the photo where i'm with one of my female friends (and in black) is another college photo. when i went on campus, taking care of my hair became really difficult because I used to either go to the salon or have my mother do it. i pretty much sucked at doing hair. in college, i knew it wasn't healthy even though i never had a problem with length or breakage. my hair just seemed lifeless and very different from the earlier days. that's one of the reasons why i decided to go natural and i'm happy with my choice:) the last pic is of my hair now. the one with my mom shows my pressed hair. i think my hair looks healthier but idk. it moved too easily in the breeze though like it was feathery and i felt like i had no hair on my head lol. that's the only thing i miss-my permed hair moved almost as much but was a little heavier. maybe i just need some protein treatments?

Attachments

• n1110735_30586212_4275.jpg
    n1110735_30586212_4275.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 123
  • n1110735_31571876_21.jpg
    n1110735_31571876_21.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 119
  • n1368330012_30014300_7292.jpg
    n1368330012_30014300_7292.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 122
  • harry_681.jpg
    harry_681.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 126

Curly Lee

My hair during my senior year. I had a short lil rihanna cut. Previously my permed hair was shoulder length.
I also had braids often when I was permed.

manter26

Here are mine (sorry if too big): **tons of pics**

Relaxed-

bob and pixie bangs:

Dominican blowout when relaxed

This hair lead me to transition...

Natural

Dominican blowout natural:

braidout from january:

vivEz daNs lamouR

The many things I did to my hair while relaxed...

Left it alone:

Bleached it:

Dyed it jet black:

Bleached and cut it (myself):

...and now thankfully, I'm natural.

Last edited:

NaturalPath

Relaxed approximately 2003. hair had broken off to this length from APL :perplexed:sad: this was the same day a lady had asked me if I recently got a new cut.

Untitled-1.jpg

Natural

current length now

jan 2009

lilliz6

The first three pics are of my hair relaxed in May 2008... This was my last relaxer for graduation. The last pic is of my hair now.

Attachments

• gradpic1.jpg
    gradpic1.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 59
  • n45012233_32315894_7355 - Copy.jpg
    n45012233_32315894_7355 - Copy.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0457.JPG
    IMG_0457.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 64

aquajoyice

I have been contemplating going natural after a recent setback. And seeing all of you gorgeous women with such beautiful diverse natural heads of hair has motivated me :)

Brownchiq

LOVE THIS THREAD!!! I Just BC IN AUGUST OF 2009.
RELAXED HAIR
Wash and go 2005

rollerset 2005

blowdry flat iron 2007

Transition cut 2009

NATURAL BC AUG 2009

Blow dry flat iron after BC

Sept 2009

october 2009

Shananyganz

The first picture was right before I decided to transition, taken in December 2009, not the best picture (as it pertains to angle, but it was all I had saved on this computer...whomp).

The bottom (with the big hoops) picture was taken after my Big Chop on June 27, 2009 and the two in the multi-colored shirt, are me today (a little over 10 months later)...literally. :yep:

I see a lot of growth, my hair is healthy, it is soft and I am constantly learning something new about it. I protective style 95% of the time...seriously. I put my hair away so much because it grows best when I leave it be. Now that I am starting to get more length, I'll probably be wearing it out more. Right now, I am just trying different styles. The multi-colored shot is a kind of faux mohawk twistout...I dig it. I'm a slicked back hair kind of girl, so this whole hair in my face thing is new to me.

Bottom line, I am ENJOYING my natural hair. I wish I would have made the decision sooner, but I made it when I could handle it...I'm good with that.

~S~

Attachments

• Dec 2008.jpg
    Dec 2008.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 44
  • NaturallyMe.jpg
    NaturallyMe.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 294
  • Month 10 (3).jpg
    Month 10 (3).jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 39
  • month 10 (5).jpg