Naturals: Too much manipulation? How to avoid it?

ResultsMayVary

I've recently decided to wear my hair out and unfortunately I am having a hard time not manipulating my hair every couple of hours (yes hours)
"I re-do a bun every couple of hours smh". :nono:
Then it also, drys out easily and I find my self co-washing/combing every night ...

If any one has tips for reducing manipulation I would greatly appreciate it ...

NappsbyNature

I find myself doing the same thing. I do braidouts and I tend to touch my hair more, to make sure my curls stay in the right place.

Ozma

I am working on this problem, too. First I move my bun around to different locations on my head every day for variety. Then, I add some fake flowers to help me keep from messing with it. If I get it looking just right, I don't fool with it again. If you're having a problem with your hair drying out, try baggying the night before. Since I started, my hair never gets dried out during the day.:yep:
HTH

SEMO

Why do you re-do your bun so often? Is it because you have "hand-in-hair-disease?" I'm not sure I know the cure for that.

But you may try wearing a scarf around the house to keep your hair in place and keep you from being tempted to "fix" it all the time.

NikStarrr

The only way for me to practice low manipulation is by wearing twistouts/braidouts. I can make them last 5-7 days at a time. If I bun, I end up re-bunning everyday (and co-washing) which becomes a lot of manipulation. So I usually only bun a couple days in-between twistouts/braidouts. Oh, and wearing my hair straight, that also gives me lots of low-mani options.

ResultsMayVary

Why do you re-do your bun so often? Is it because you have "hand-in-hair-disease?" I'm not sure I know the cure for that.

But you may try wearing a scarf around the house to keep your hair in place and keep you from being tempted to "fix" it all the time.

Thanks, I think I'm always re-doing them because i do feel the need to fix them every so often, I probably should just practice wearing the scarf longer before going out

The only way for me to practice low manipulation is by wearing twistouts/braidouts. I can make them last 5-7 days at a time. If I bun, I end up re-bunning everyday (and co-washing) which becomes a lot of manipulation. So I usually only bun a couple days in-between twistouts/braidouts. Oh, and wearing my hair straight, that also gives me lots of low-mani options.

I haven't tried doing braid/twist out yet, but id love to, how do you sleep with them though? just bonnet and go?

NikStarrr

I haven't tried doing braid/twist out yet, but id love to, how do you sleep with them though? just bonnet and go?

Yep, just bonnet and go. Since my hair has gotten more length, sometimes I take big sections of the twistout/braidout and and twist, then bonnet. It helps keep the twist/braidout stretched. You'll see, when you're natural your hair will hold textured styles better. They don't "smash" like relaxed hair does.

rsmith

I've been doing mini twist. They last two weeks but the detangle sessions are killing me. I like to cowash my hair once a week. I use shea butter, castor oil or coconut oil to seal with. I think I will try the braidouts more. I believe less manupulation keeps your strands long and healthy.