Naturals/transitioners: What products for twist/braidouts?

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I tried a twist n curl/curly fro today and it was a huge product fail. I used leave in, diluted lottabody and a little gel. I got definition but it was hard/crunchy in places. What products do you use that give you definition that lasts overnight (I'm notorious for sweating out curls) but still leaves you with softish hair
TIA!

Foxgove I have been playing wit hthis for awhile. Here are the two ways that I have found.
Method one: co-wash and rinse only a little. oil the ends and twist. This is my old method. it works for a while and if you use a moisture conditioner it turns out soft.

Method two (current): mix liquid leave-in (using AO egyptian henna shine rinse), water, and setting lotion in a bottle. After dc/wash part hair into four sections and spray section with solution. then use cream detangers (I use afro detangler which I bought a long time ago the large size) then french braid the section putting JBCO on the ends. repeat 3 more times. I loosy rebraid at night cause it also me to detangle and if I don't knotty mess. I workout 7 days a week and my hair stays fresh. I will sometime rewet in the middle of the week. But I don't aways. I think the keys is rebraiding/twisting. Erstwhile I did only twist out but I have to make 8 to 10 twist were now I just do four braids.

Forgot to mention. I good way to moisturized and keep your hair soft is to use a little castor oil on your hair and get a hot shower. your hair wil be super soft and moisturized form the castor oil and the steam.

on 80 % air dry hair twist or braid then spray with taliah waajid moisturizer esp the ends curl with jherri curl roller then dry.

On damp towel dried hair, I apply Hairveda almond glaze and whipped gelly while doing my braidouts.

Then, I put on my satin scarf and my hair is soft and manageable in the morning. I do this every few days and rebraid at night before I go to sleep.

after wash and condish apply leave-in and let hair dry 80% i like afroveda shea alma or define with their whipped jelly. i re-twist nightly and moisturize and in the am when untwisted use more moisturizer or oil to combat frizz.

I've gotten the best braidouts using no products until I'm removing the braids. After washing, I detangle with conditioner and braid each section right after I detangle it so I end up with like 10 plaits.

After rinsing the conditioner I air dry over night and rub a little bit of leave-in and serum on each braid before I take them down.

This usually lasts for about a week. I wear it out for 2-3 days and in a banana clip until it's time to wash again.

I like to use Oyin Whipped Pudding or David Babaii volcanic ash sculpting clay for my twist outs and they come out nice, defined and well moisturized.

Wet or dry hair I use aloe vera gelly or Qhemet's Honey Bush Tea gel. Never crunchy and I am heavy handed. Honestly I've noticed I can get a well defined braid out without any holding product. I realized this because I put my hair in 4 big braids every night except for 2 days a week when I airdry in a bun.

Back