Naturals/Transitioners Thread of the Day: Definition after the BC

PaperClip

I'm taking a cue from the thread in the Suggestions Q&A forum re. the Naturals/Transitioners thread and introduce more topics relating to Naturals/Transitioners....

I'm curious about curl/coil definition after the BC: I've read that some have experienced a different definition after their big chop. Could you please share your experiences here: did your curls/coils loosen or tighten after the BC?

Thank you for sharing....

Parvathi

I BC'd in March and I recalled my coils being a mixture of textures. The crown is loosely coiled (3b/3c), my temples are more tightly coiled (3c/4a) and the rest of the hair is 4a texture. I noted the difference in textures while transitioning. Some areas of the hair were easier to detangle while other areas took longer.

I honestly did not experience a change in coil definition after I BC'ed. Perhaps that would change as it grows out.

Tene

I know I've heard when your hair gets longer your curls loosen due to them being stretched from the weight of your hair.

beyondcute

After BC-ing your hair texture should tighten up a lil bit. Think about it. At first your hair is wiehed down by all this extra bair, once its been cut its kinda like a spring with a weight being relased from it. It will shrink up a lil more than usual. But as your hair grows out it becomes heavier and will weigh down again and the coils/curls/napps will stretch out.

RainbowCurls

My curls are a little bit tighter and more 'well formed' after the BC (but still pretty badly behaved :rolleyes: )

I agree with what beyondcute said about the weight of the extra (relaxed) hair.

brownsugarflyygirl

Okay...I havent BCed yet so I have nothing to say..BUT I do want to say that I like the idea of a Transitioners/Naturals thread of the day...because the transitioners thread is just toooooooooooo long :eek:

curlilocs

I BC'ed a year ago. My curls got tighter, but still not as tight as they are now. The longer my hair gets the shorter it looks...if that makes sense. My curls were rather loopy the 1st six months, now it's tight curly/ coils.

caligirl

My hair is pretty much the same. Braidouts look better on all natural hair because the ends curl up without having to use perm rods.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I think it also depends on how long you transitioned. I BC'd after a 14 month transition, so my texture wasn't a surprise. I don't think my natural hair is any tighter/looser than when I cut off the relaxed ends.

MzTami

Hellerrrr
ITA with JCoily, my texture wasn't a surprise either. I don't know why many naturals say, "you won't know your true texture until after you cut the relaxed ends off." To me that statement is a myth. I've been natural for 3 months and my texture is the same as my transitioning texture.

Tene

MzTami said:
ITA with JCoily, my texture wasn't a surprise either. I don't know why many naturals say, "you won't know your true texture until after you cut the relaxed ends off." To me that statement is a myth. I've been natural for 3 months and my texture is the same as my transitioning texture.

I agree with this unless you have scab hair you can pretty much tell by the new growth.

hopeful

Great thread RelaxerRehab!

My hair continues to amaze me. I didn't transition for long though. When I bc'd last year my crown was wavy with a few coils, the back was very tightly coiled, the sides were 4b, the front actually kinda straight. I bc'd again in March and this time my textures seemed to have evened out quite a bit. My crown is almost all coils, my 4b sides are starting to sprout tight little coils and the back is still tightly coiled but not as much as before. I am seeing the most definition with twist-outs. The less I mess with it the better it looks. And my hair loves Oyin's shine & define.