Two-strand twists with my natural hair only

Nonie

Does the twirl make the hair hold better at the roots?

Not as well as braids would. In the video where I'm undoing my twist, I had braided the base, and you can see me undoing the braid. I no longer do that because undoing braids on my natural hair w/o extension hair mixed in is a pain in the you-know-what. Unlike twists, braids on my natural hair alone lock up easily, so now I twist all the way from base to ends. The twists are firm at the base when freshly done. The close up I posted earlier (reposted below) show you how base of the twists look after 4 weeks and 8 washes:

I have yet to start my twists still kinda confused about the twist and twirl...am I twirling each section while I twist?
You twirl each section first in the same direction and then you wrap around in the opposite direction. Did you watch this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-PPsh1_Np0
I don't think words can explain as well as that visual.

Last edited:

Truth

damp or dry hair with a butter... I now do 3 strand twist because I like the look of them better then a 2 strand twist. Regardless of how you do them, another tip is to apply a little butter to fingers and twirl your ends so they curl and your twist stay... u'll be fine.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
jerseygurl, it should not make a difference whether you twirl anticlockwise first and then wrap them clockwise or twirl clockwise first and wrap anticlockwise. As long as the wrapping is done opposite to the twirling, you should get a similar twist.

I just undid a twist to check and I clearly twist in the directions I said above; the arrows in the images below show the direction I do the individual twirls and then the direction I do the wrapping of the twirled strands:

I've never been able to do that. :look: I just wrap the two strands of hair around each other and curl the end around my finger.

Nonie

I've never been able to do that. :look: I just wrap the two strands of hair around each other and curl the end around my finger.

nelle11236, I think it's easier to do it on someone else first, especially before you try it on yourself. Trust me, once you learn this way of twisting, you'll never look back. Tangles, knots, frustrations with hair that takes forever to detangle...become a thing of the past.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Nonie Thanks for the encouragement! lol I'm in for a long twisting session today so maybe I can try practicing on myself.

Chameleonchick

What I have learned....twisting on dry hair shows more length and somehow less shrinkage. Twisting on wet hair gives me the look I like but I have to take it down sooner. Twisting by just putting one strand over the other can lead to knots and unnecessary breakage. Twisting the way Nonie mentioned takes forever but it does work for longevity.

Nonie

What I have learned....twisting on dry hair shows more length and somehow less shrinkage. Twisting on wet hair gives me the look I like but I have to take it down sooner. Twisting by just putting one strand over the other can lead to knots and unnecessary breakage. Twisting the way Nonie mentioned takes forever but it does work for longevity.

Chameleonchick, have you ever twisted on dry and then wet them soon after? You may find you get the best of both worlds (a bit of length and the look you want and they last a little longer). Also, as with anything else, the way I do it does get faster the more you do it. You see it doesn't take me long at all.

Chameleonchick

Chameleonchick, have you ever twisted on dry and then wet them soon after? You may find you get the best of both worlds (a bit of length and the look you want and they last a little longer). Also, as with anything else, the way I do it does get faster the more you do it. You see it doesn't take me long at all.

I have but for some reason it still doesn't look the same to me. Or did you mean wet them the same day?

Nonie

I have but for some reason it still doesn't look the same to me. Or did you mean wet them the same day?

Chameleonchick I meant wet them IMMEDIATELY after you finish twisting. Like I do. These photos were taken within minutes of each other. Just finished twisting (top pics). Immediately applied conditioner to my dry hair and then rinsed under shower head, followed by a dunk in ACV solution, then draped a towel over shoulders to catch the drip (bottom pics).

I cannot stand the way they look when freshly done. That wonky skinny look just isn't cute to me. Love how they puff up and hang straight after wetting them.

Chameleonchick

Okay I got it, I will try it this way the next time I get a chance. I still have three weeks left in my extension twists.

lilyofthenile

I usually dampen my hair with a spritz so that it is more easy to separate and manage. I also add a leave in such as Kinky Curly Knot Today or Bee Mine Moisturising Daily Spritz. I then finish off by taking little bit of Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie applying to section to be twisted and then I twist. My twists just seem to stay, I think it's mostly due to my hair type.

Attachments

• 2011_0607smaller.jpg
    2011_0607smaller.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 35

healthyhair2

I am natural with 4a hair. THanks for all the tips, I will keep trying!!!

Your texture looks a lot like mine. I twist on freshly shampooed/conditioned hair. I add any leave-in and/or moisturizer first, the I mix hair gel (Eco styler) with twisting cream or twisting butter. When I'm done, these twists will look great for at least 10 days. Just make sure to wear a silk scarf at bedtime :)

Ms Lala

I have never twisted my whole head. I want to start wearing twists as a protective style. What do you use to get your twists to stay? Do you twist on dry hair or wet hair? Any tips and advice are appreciated in advance.

Hi, I did some youtube vids on twisting tips. Twists are one of my fav styles. I wore them almost exclusively for several years.

http://youtu.be/E8UawGYZPqk (twisting tips pt 1)

http://youtu.be/L5Z92jOyLv8 (twist tips pt 2)

lolascurls

I've recently started wearing twists on my transitioning hair to work! I find using the MyHoneyChild Type 4 creme really helps smooth my hair and give the twists light hold and shine!

SmilingElephant

Hmmm.. I usually twist on towel dried hair. In fact...I do all my styles on damp hair. It helps with detangling.

And I like for my twists to shrink up:yep:...even tho they don't shrink up much come to think of it.

SmilingElephant

How do you find the patience to sit and do mini twists?? How long does it take???

I have a very short attention span...like I literally feel like crying sometimes whenever I twist my hair bc it feels like FOREVER!!!:lol: and I get distracted easily. Even when I force myself not to.

Which is why I've become mainly a wash n go girl.

Nonie

How do you find the patience to sit and do mini twists?? How long does it take???

I have a very short attention span...like I literally feel like crying sometimes whenever I twist my hair bc it feels like FOREVER!!!:lol: and I get distracted easily. Even when I force myself not to.

Which is why I've become mainly a wash n go girl.

SmilingElephant Practice makes perfect. If you watch Lala's vids, you'll see it doesn't take her long to do. I love to twist my hair. I usually can't help myself when watching TV. I find myself undoing a twist and redoing it as if it's the most enjoyable thing in the world. Usually when I have a full head to twist--like at the initial installation--I will rent a movie and be done in no time. Sometimes I get mad that my fingers have nothing to play with if I finish before the movie is over. It's only a chore when you're new to it.

SmilingElephant

SmilingElephant Practice makes perfect. If you watch Lala's vids, you'll see it doesn't take her long to do. I love to twist my hair. I usually can't help myself when watching TV. I find myself undoing a twist and redoing it as if it's the most enjoyable thing in the world. Usually when I have a full head to twist--like at the initial installation--I will rent a movie and be done in no time. Sometimes I get mad that my fingers have nothing to play with if I finish before the movie is over. It's only a chore when you're new to it.

Okay...I'll try that...I'll pop in a video and do my hair. I love twists tho...I just hate sitting/standing for a long time in one spot. But I'll give this a try. :yep: