NATURALS: What's wrong with natural hair...

Peachtree

...looking like a Jheri Curl??

I've read some posts here & on other boards where naturals were disappointed because their hair "looked like a Jheri Curl".

Back in the day, I remember family, friends (& even strangers) with Jheri curls... their hair was moisturized, shiny, some long, & curly. Ok, I'll admit, there were also those with "dry" Jheri Curls... but anyone's hair would become dry if it's not properly moisturized.

Clue me in... I'm just curious.

NAY007

the problem i sometimes have when i wear my hair down and curly is that it's frizzing up...but that's pretty much it. i don't know about natural hair looking like a jherri kurl (or however you spell that). when i hear that i automatically think of "coming to america"> soulglow. dripping wet hair...and spraying it throughout the day so it keeps dripping...lol.

Ayeshia

nothing wrong with the curls per se...but as nay mentioned that "soul glow" look with products and water soaking your clothes midday isnt cute lol. and trust me i've had those days.

Peachtree

Oh, ok. Yeah, Nay just gave me a deep visual... thinking about the guy in "Coming to America".

I don't remember people in my circle hair looking like that character in Coming to America. Then again, I wasn't really noticing either...

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
When I see or hear of jheri curl, I think of what Nay007 mentioned above as well! :D But I do not think jheri curls are bad as long as they are not dry or greasy looking. I also think the shape and length of the hair plays a role in a jheri curl looking nice as well! :)

TigerLily

Yeah, I don't get that either. If my natural hair looked like a jheri curl I wouldn't be mad. As long as I didn't leave a puddle everywhere I went, I'd be fine.

Unless they just want the curls less defined, I don't get it. :confused:

Carefree

Come to think of it when most of my family members had jheri curls their hair was nice, curly and full. I guess the times when I refer to my hair looking like a jheri curl I'm referrig to the "bad" ones, the stringy, greasy, lifeless looking processed curls. I've only experienced this once though - when I tried Elasta Feels Like Silk, my hair didn't like the glycerin.

Valerie

cutebajangirl said:
I think perhaps that statement might be coming from people who want less curl pattern and a more true 4a and or 4b look.

You are probably right there! Particularly more with 4b hair, the curl pattern is not regular ringlets, the curls are often very tight, the curl forms in one way and then changes direction, with is sometimes which is why there is a lot of breakage at those weaks points at the change of direction of the strand. Because of the shrinkage, it was often very difficult to see the true length. However using heavy greases do not help the problem. Also the whenever woman with natural hair are shown, they usually are a more type 3b/c ringlet type curls, like Melanie Brown, Tracee Ellis Ross, Jennifer Freemen, Kelis. Women with a more woolly or cottony texture are rarely shown, so it is good to see woman like Janine in the Feria colour ad with her texture. Plus books written by Pam Ferrell has helped woman with 4a and 4b realise that their hair has great beauty, just because it does not have uniform curls, it doesn't mean it can't be styled and grow very long. Also I think that once people with type 4a and 4b have very good products, the hair has a wonderful appearance and softness. I have 4b type and because I have been using better products and daily rinsing etc. My hair looks and feels much better.

Amazon11

When I have used that analogy..I was referring to the fact that when I wash and air dry my hair it just hangs... my hair will not dry into an afro(my fave style)...without some work put into it,lol...my hair has some length and tends to flop

NGC

When I read ladies not wanting that "jheri curl" look, I picture the same thing carefree describes. My hair tends to lean in that direction when it's wet or if I use too much product (which I try not to do).