NATURALS... What's your Method of Combing or Not Combing???

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
More questions for you natural ladies... I'm trying to see a correlation here...

Do you comb/detangle your hair?

If you don't comb, how do you get by without combing/detangling? What's your regimen? Products used? Main hair style(s)?

If you do comb, how often do you comb/detangle? Never? Once a month? Once a week? Every day?

Do you use a comb, brush, or your fingers?

Do you comb wet, damp, or dry?

What products do you use to comb/detangle your hair?

And again, indicate your hair texture... tighly coiled/curled, loosely coiled/curled, no coils/curls at all, or something else.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

so1913

I comb to detangle only when washing with conditioner using a shower comb.

When styling and adding products, I "finger" comb only. So pretty much, the only time a comb touches my head is when I wash. Sometimes I may use a few strokes lightly on the very top front of my hair when wearing my hair slicked back low puff. I do use a brush lightly over to top of my hair to smooth for that style.

I guess I'm loosely coiled/curled.

bettytoo

hi .i always comb when its wet.with a wide tooth comb.i use allways oil moisturizer when my hair wet.then blow it out wuth a blow dryer.

i comb my hair once a week if i'm not wearing braids.

I like african pride magic gro for hair grease.and sta soft fro for spraying my hair.when its dry.

My hair's 4b/4a .

mslionheart

1. Do you comb/detangle your hair?

Yes.

2. If you do comb, how often do you comb/detangle? Never? Once a month? Once a week? Every day?

Only after a shampoo. That could be once a week or every other week.

3. Do you use a comb, brush, or your fingers?

I use a wide-toothed comb.

4. Do you comb wet, damp, or dry?

Damp. My hair shrinks very quickly when it's completely wet, so I prefer to let it sit in twists for a while until it's damp then detangle.

5. What products do you use to comb/detangle your hair?

I never used any product to detangle until this week when I tried Qhemet's Olive Cream Detangler. My hair is now in love! The comb slid right through and I lost very little hair. I try to keep it very simple when it comes to products (just shampoo, water, and CD Healthy Hair Butter) but the Olive Cream will have a permanent place in my routine.

6. And again, indicate your hair texture... tighly coiled/curled, loosely coiled/curled, no coils/curls at all, or something else.

Hmmm. It's very tightly coiled (over 90% shrinkage when wet). I like to call Lenny Kravitz my hair twin :)

Last edited:

MeccaMedinah

No combing or detangling.

If you don't comb, how do you get by without combing/detangling? What's your regimen? Products used? Main hair style(s)?
I conditioner wash at least 2x a week. I twist with a shea butter mixture or a carrot creme & oil mixture. I wear twistouts & twistout puffs mostly.

If you do comb, how often do you comb/detangle? Never? Once a month? Once a week? Every day?
If I comb it is once every 6-8 weeks, if that.

I'll use a wide-toothed comb.

I comb both wet & dry.

Just water if my hair is wet. If I am combing dry I don't add anything because I would have moisturized the night before.

And again, indicate your hair texture... tighly coiled/curled, loosely coiled/curled, no coils/curls at all, or something else.
Tightly coiled fine to medium strands 80% of my hair and a little looser and finer in the back.

After conditioner washing I don't really have tangles. My hair was uber-tangly when I was relaxed, but since I've been natural I don't have an issue with tangles/knots.

curlilocs

Yes, I shed close to 100 hairs a day, if I don't comb eventually it will look like a small animal has escaped from my head.

I can't get away with not combing, even if it's just finger combing, I have to rake through this mane.

I comb once a day, either in the shower while hair is loaded with conditioner or after hair has been rinsed while it is fairly wet.

Wide tooth rake/ comb and fingers mainly. I have used a denman brush too, but I think that will work better as my hair gets longer.

I comb mainly wet and sometimes damp. If I dry comb it's with my fingers or this small 3 row denman comb I have, but I only use it on the ends so my fingers can slide though. I don't do this much.

Water is the best detangler for me. Conditioner makes it even easier.

Looser curly coils

Last edited:

naturaline

Poohbear said:
More questions for you natural ladies... I'm trying to see a correlation here...

yes i comb but Only with conditioner on my dry hair with a wide tooth comb.

If you do comb, how often do you comb/detangle? Never? Once a month? Once a week? Every day? Every 4/5 ... but now im tryin daily washes

Do you comb wet, damp, or dry? ;) dry hair with conditioner

What products do you use to comb/detangle your hair? asda/superdrug camomile con-its cheap and very gentle. bt every now and then once its washd out i leave alittle KC on it for 15mins then rinse that out.

And again, indicate your hair texture... tighly coiled/curled, loosely coiled/curled, no coils/curls at all, or something else.a mix of tigth coils and curles

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
so1913 said:
I comb to detangle only when washing with conditioner using a shower comb.

When styling and adding products, I "finger" comb only. So pretty much, the only time a comb touches my head is when I wash. Sometimes I may use a few strokes lightly on the very top front of my hair when wearing my hair slicked back low puff. I do use a brush lightly over to top of my hair to smooth for that style.

I guess I'm loosely coiled/curled.
This is what I do too. I use wide tooth seamless combs and I have tighter coiled hair.

Also I detangle at the end while I'm rinsing.

Cichelle

Yes

Every single day. If I didn't, my hair would be a HOT MESS.

SEAMLESS comb or fingers.

I only comb/detangle when my hair is wet, either slathered with conditioner or directly under the shower water.

Water and/or conditioner.

My hair is very curly.

This is timely for me. I just purchased a couple of beautiful seamless combs. :love:

Last edited:

jasmine26

Yes

I fingercomb after every shampoo, which is about every week. I also fingercomb after every con-wash, which could be daily or every couple of days.

Fingers to comb! I only use a comb to part my hair for my cornrows.

I only fingercomb when my hair is wet or wet with conditioner.

Water and/or conditioner. And i sometimes use a detangler.

My hair is tightly coiled/curled in some areas and loosely coiled/curled in other spots.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Hi :wave:

I rinse my hair everyday in the shower. While the water is running over my hair, I comb through it with a wide toothed comb very lightly. I do this because the water stretches the length of my hair and makes it 10x easier to comb.

On Wednesdays & Sundays I do deep conditioning treatments. I section the hair into four parts, take a hefty amount of deep conditioner (I use Organics Hair Mayo or Hollywood's Olive oil Cholesterol), and I go through it thoroughly. I cover with a plastic cap for 30 minutes, and then I rinse out. Afterwards, I use about 12-15 drops of WGO, put on my bonnet, and I'm off to sleep.

In the morning, I use Infusium 23 w/ water & Hairobics Triple Strength Anit-Breakage Formula. These have been a staple for me because it keeps my hair very moisturized. :yep:

babyblue

-yes

-once a week with a comb during my shampoo/deep condition. use my fingers only if im conditioner washing or just rinsing.

-a wide tooth comb and fingers

-wet/damp

-wide tooth comb and whatever conditioner i have marinating in my hair that day.

-tightly coiled and bushy 4a/b

Yes, if my hair allows me to...lol

If I am CWashing everyday, I fingercomb everytime. I usually comb/detangle after every wash which is every two weeks.

I don't think I've used a brush a day in my life. I use combs and fingers.

WET, i try at all costs to avoid combing my hair when dry. Even though some people like to think they can tackle my hair when dry and end up ripping my hair out( I was ranting there sorry!) :lol:

I either use garnier leave-in conditioner or cantu shea butter thingy and a very wide toothed cob.

Tightly coiled thick 4A

Irresistible

I Can go quite a while with 'touchin up' my bun and finding ways to work it and make it look neat without a full comb through. Sometimes close to a week. I only comb with , leave in, butter/oil or conditioner or any combo thereof in my hair.

testimony777

Poohbear said:
I fully detangle with a shower comb whenever I wash or rinse my hair (one or two times a week). I mist and condition my ends every day and when I do I gently detangle them with a wide toothed paddle brush.

Wet or damp

When I wash or rinse I use Too Shea conditioner by Jessicurl. When I mist condition and detangle my ends I use a water/condtioner spray (MNT mixed with H2O), coconut oil and Aloba condtioner by Jessicurl.

I have relatively loosely curled 3b/c hair

Thanks in advance!

My words are in bold

Syrah

Texture: Loosely coiled/curly...I guess. :Shrug: http://www.fotki.com/mynadidas

I brush using an ionic ceramic bristled brush from T3. I also have a wide toothed shower comb that I use.

When my hair is wet I wash using the crown and glory technique...which makes detangling a piece of cake. At which point I will utilize the T3 brush.

For detangling, I use Formula's by Ecoly Tri Wheat Leave-in and Detangler.

I dunno - I know a lot of folks speak out against combing and brushing. I comb religiously (twice a day - once in the morning, once at night) and brush occassionally and have not experienced any breakage. The trick is knowing your hair, find products that keep your ends moist and unraveled and using brushes that glide through the hair as opposed to separate, tear and break.

Poohbear

Thanks ladies for your responses! These responses are very helpful to me in finding the proper way to comb and wash my hair and use products. My hair has been suffering some breakage as it's getting longer, and I think the breakage is due to combing dry hair too much. Thanks again!

SVT

Do you comb/detangle your hair? Yes

If you do comb, how often do you comb/detangle? Never? Every day

Do you use a comb, brush, or your fingers? Bone comb

Do you comb wet, damp, or dry? Wet

What products do you use to comb/detangle your hair? Conditoner - Matrix Biolage is EXCELLENT!

Indicate your hair texture: Loosely coiled/waves

hopeg80

Poohbear said:

I only comb my hair when I am detangling after washing and during conditioning.
I only detangle when I wash my hair and that is every 2-3 weeks.

I use a wide tooth comb and a small tooth bone comb (when doing 2 strand twist)
Wet or damp, never dry!!!
I usually use some conditoner, oil, or a oil moisturizing lotion.

TIGHT, TIGHTLY COILED HAIR

I hope this helps you Poobear!!!!!!!

Poohbear

Hmmmm... I think I have come to a conclusion...

I need to comb my hair with lots of conditioner in it ONLY. I need to stop the madness with this dry hair combing all the time. I've been doing it too much. It's neat how hair needs change as it grows...

remnant

Poohbear said:

I need to comb my hair with lots of conditioner in it ONLY. I need to stop the madness with this dry hair combing all the time. I've been doing it too much. It's neat how hair needs change as it grows...

:yep: you're absolutely right!

Just when I am detangling after washing and during conditioning.

I only detangle when I wash my hair after removing my protective styles (braids with extension, weave, twist, cornrows)

I use fingers first then a demnan like brush!

Wet with lot of conditionner

Only tons of conditionner

Tighly coiled

curlilocs

Poohbear said:

I think it's amazing how your hair changes as it grows. As soon as you get one routine down, you need to adjust again. For example, I hate to layer products, but if I can find a good all purpose moisturizer that will blend with a variety of products and leave ins I may start mixing and layering.

But yes, dry combing is the worst for natural hair.

Candiss

Only in the shower when I wash

Once or twice a month

I use a wide tooth comb

Soaking wet with conditioner

water/conditioner

4b

locabouthair

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you comb/detangle your hair? I comb my hair every 2 weeks because I wear cornrows.

If you do comb, how often do you comb/detangle? Never? Once a month? Once a week? Every day? I comb/detangle every time I take out my braids. Which is every 2 weeks. Cornrows are my main style.

Do you use a comb, brush, or your fingers? I use a comb. I never brush. and my fingers would not work with my texture.

Do you comb wet, damp, or dry? I comb with both. Typically combing while my hair is wet or with s curl is a little easier though. For me using a big tooth comb is key. I hardly have problems detangling my hair.

What products do you use to comb/detangle your hair? S curl my favorite. softens it like nobody's business.

And again, indicate your hair texture... tighly coiled/curled, loosely coiled/curled, no coils/curls at all, or something else. Definitely no curls, 4b.
I love your hair poohbear! It grew a lot!

Thanks in advance!

SparklingFlame

Poohbear said:

No I dont comb or detangle my hair.

I never ever wash my hair without it being in twists or braids. I let it dry and then I re-twist. No detangling nessessary that way.

Well I dont comb my hair but I used Mango Butter and a homemade conditioner made of water, honey, evoo, coconut oil and rosewater.

My hair is tightly coiled/curled.

Thanks in advance!
You're welcome!

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Yes, I detangle using my fingers when my hair is wet and I have put conditioner in it, but I do not comb or brush.

I mainly wear a ponytail, pretty boring, but simple. I use leave-in-conditioner on my hair everyday to bring out the texture and protect my ends.

Never, anymore. Oh, I combed the other week when I trimmed my ends.

My fingers.

Wet.

Conditioner.

Loosely coiled/curled.

TwistNMx

Poohbear said:

I comb my hair when wet in shower. It usually doesn't need detangling until after it starts to dry.

I finger my hair and then apply any oil and if my hair becomes too dry from the air, then I spray it with water.

I comb gently whenever I need to do so, but I only comb at this time when my hair is wet.

I comb sometimes and finger sometimes, but "never" do I brush my hair...."ever".

Wet or damp, never totally dry.

Perm straight when wet, curly to kinky when dry.

Thanks in advance!
No problem. HTH

JustKiya

Do you comb/detangle your hair? Oh, sweet baby jesus, YES!! If I didn't, I would have freeform dreadlocks in two months.

If you do comb, how often do you comb/detangle? Never? Once a month? Once a week? Every day? I comb every other day, usually - to prevent the above mentioned dreadlock formation.

Do you use a comb, brush, or your fingers? I use a wide tooth comb, and a metal pick.

Do you comb wet, damp, or dry? Wet, soaking, dripping, wet, in the shower, usually.

What products do you use to comb/detangle your hair? I use a mix of my regular conditioner (White Rain (cheap cone free stuff) 2 parts) and honey (1 part)

And again, indicate your hair texture... tighly coiled/curled, loosely coiled/curled, no coils/curls at all, or something else. Extra, extra, EXTRA, tightly curled - watch spring curls.

Last edited:

Peachtree

Yes

I comb *only* to detangle, which is during my wkly poo regimen. I slather my hair with conditioner, let it sit while I shower, then detangle with a Jibere or K-Cutter comb.

I use a comb wkly (to detangle).

wet

Just about any moisturizing cond.

coils & curls, both tight & loose

Last edited:

Poohbear

I've tested the combing with conditioner and such, but as my hair gets longer, I'm starting to find out that my hair really doesn't need to be combed...especially since I've stopped washing frequently and I've been doing two strand twists which keep my hair pretty stretched out. So naturallady's routine seems to be working the best for my hair. :)