Naturals who flat-iron!!!???

ttlayli

Can you flat-iron for a nice, straight look by just air-drying?? Someone on the board mentioned this to me (sorry....I forgot who:blush:) and I was wondering if it was really possible. I know a lot of relaxed heads do this to cut down on direct heat...but my hair is SUPER THICK...3B/C and maybe a lil 4A. If I could do this It would be great!!! Does any natural here flat-iron by cutting out other direct heat??? What's your method??? Share!!! :grin:

youwillrise

i wanna know this too
because while i wont be flat ironing often
i still want to find ways to lessen the amount of heat i use
(especially cutting out the blowdryer)

thanks for sharing any of your experiences!!

dlove

Can you flat-iron for a nice, straight look by just air-drying?? Someone on the board mentioned this to me (sorry....I forgot who:blush:) and I was wondering if it was really possible. I know a lot of relaxed heads do this to cut down on direct heat...but my hair is SUPER THICK...3B/C and maybe a lil 4A. If I could do this It would be great!!! Does any natural here flat-iron by cutting out other direct heat??? What's your method??? Share!!! :grin:

I've asked that before and the answer was that you need to blow dry on low heat to achieve the straight look. I tried it and my natural 4z hair looks so much better when I flat iron.

ttlayli

Yeah....I was thinking that I would prob. still have to blowdry....but I was hoping I could airdry and then flat-iron. Oh well. :ohwell: Maybe if I could cornrow my hair, airdry then flat-iron??? But I don't even know how to cornrow!! :lachen:

glam-

I think in Pokahontas' fotki she has stated that she has sometimes rollerset to stretch the hair out and then flatironed. I tried this and it worked okay :ohwell: for me, but I had much flatter results when I blowdried. Thinking about it now, maybe if I had blown out my roots only after the rollerset I might have had better results when I flatironed this way.

ttlayli

You know what...I tried the rollerset... and either I didnt do it right or my hair is just too thick for it, because while it was in the spirals...it actually looked decent, but once I combed it out...POOF lol. And my roots...OH DEAR GOSH. :lachen: I then tried to blowdry my roots ONLy...but the dryer comb KEPT getting stuck!!! :blush: Maybe I could try the rollerset again...but after trying twice (and my arms feeling like they were gonna fall off...it made me just a tad bit discouraged) :rolleyes:

glam-

You know what...I tried the rollerset... and either I didnt do it right or my hair is just too thick for it, because while it was in the spirals...it actually looked decent, but once I combed it out...POOF lol. And my roots...OH DEAR GOSH. :lachen: I then tried to blowdry my roots ONLy...but the dryer comb KEPT getting stuck!!! :blush: Maybe I could try the rollerset again...but after trying twice (and my arms feeling like they were gonna fall off...it made me just a tad bit discouraged) :rolleyes:

I understand, trust me. I have only flat-ironed myself twice this year- it is not fun for me and kinda frustrating. It was easier when I used the blow dryer, but I felt like my hair looked sooo dry :sad:

ttlayli

I understand, trust me. I have only flat-ironed myself twice this year- it is not fun for me and kinda frustrating. It was easier when I used the blow dryer, but I felt like my hair looked sooo dry :sad:

Girl I know!!! :rolleyes: Plus I feel like I lose soooo much hair during blowdrying!!! I really do feel that I could improve the overall health of my hair if I could just eliminate the blowdryer....

Mortons

How are you all blowdrying? Look up pinkstakes and go to her fotki. She has a blowdrying method that helps pull hair straight and not lose much hair.

ttlayli

How are you all blowdrying? Look up pinkstakes and go to her fotki. She has a blowdrying method that helps pull hair straight and not lose much hair.

I usually section off my hair and blowdry that way...but yeah i will def. check her out and pm her! :yep:

amara11

It depends on your hair type= if your like me 4a/4b ish, and your hair is thick, then it just won't work! I've tried all sorts of methods, even the flat iron that straightens your hair wet (it has steam vents so that your hair doesnt burn)- it all just doesnt come out as smooth, and you end up having to go over the same piece of hair several times to get it to a nice press- which is still just as bad (if not worse than) as a good blow dry, then press. My hair stylist does this for me best, because I'm not efficient at blow drying- and therefore my presses aren't as smooth. But I really think the blow dry is the key to the good press.

But if you just want a length check, or something like that- air drying (assuming of course, that you detangle first!!) may be all you need. HTH

SVT

I air dry then flatiron. I've had no problems.

I think is air drying is healthier for my hair than blowdrying with heat.

I've attached some pics from last year. They're low quality camera phone pics. :look: I'll have better photos later.

Last edited:

Nefertiti0906

I air dry then flatiron. I've had no problems.

I think is air drying is healthier for my hair than blowdrying with heat.

I've attached some pics from last year. They're low quality camera phone pics. :look: I'll have better photos later.

So do you air dry in braids, pony tail, etc.. ? And do you use products when you air dry?

remnant

:yep:I'm natural 4b, After washing your hair, DC...
  1. Apply your heat protectant (a little bit) while your hair is still damp
  2. airdry in 4/8 braids on your well detangled hair
  3. when hair is dried, begin on the back of the head, section (tiny sections) hair with the tail of a rattail comb, then comb the tiny section with a fine tooth comb followed by the the first flatiron pass then comb it again with the fine tooth comb followed by the second pass of the flat iron over the same hair section, That will help to get the ends smooth.
  4. move to an other section...
  5. Make sure to apply firm pressure when you flatiron that will give you smoother results.
  6. At the end cover your hair with a silk scarf for 2 hours to all night!!

I don't use the blow dryer and my hair come out straight (see my profile pic)
Edited : Balisi helped me on point 3 and 5:yep:

Last edited:

Nefertiti0906

:yep:I'm natural 4b, After washing your hair, DC...
  1. Apply your heat protectant (a little bit) while your hair is still damp
  2. airdry in 4/8 braids on your well detangled hair
  3. when hair is dried, begin on the back of the head, section (tiny sections) hair with the tail of a rattail comb, then comb the tiny section with a fine tooth comb followed by the the first flatiron pass then comb it again with the fine tooth comb followed by the second pass of the flat iron over the same hair section, That will help to get the ends smooth.
  4. move to an other section...
  5. Make sure to apply firm pressure when you flatiron that will give you smoother results.
  6. At the end cover your hair with a silk scarf for 2 hours to all night!!

I don't use the blow dryer and my hair come out straight (see my profile pic)

Thanks, I think I'll try that this week

SVT

So do you air dry in braids, pony tail, etc.. ? And do you use products when you air dry?

I apply my products to damp hair then air dry in braids/pigtails. I'l blow dry on the cold setting if needed.

Ironing in small sections helps tremendously but it does take time.

ttlayli

Wow thanks ladies!! I will def. try your tips! It would be great if I could just eliminate the blowdryer all together... :spinning:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
You don't have to blow-dry before flat ironing. I never do because I don't want to use that much heat. You could try banding. My hair comes out like a blow-out when I band it and I don't have to use direct heat. Just check my fotki for directions. It's under "Banding to air-dry".

remnant

You don't have to blow-dry before flat ironing. I never do because I don't want to use that much heat. You could try banding. My hair comes out like a blow-out when I band it and I don't have to use direct heat. Just check my fotki for directions. It's under "Banding to air-dry".

Yes Pokahontas inspired me to try it this way:yep:!

ttlayli

ooohhhh I'm gonna try this!!! Thanks!!! :grin:

ladylibra

i used to wash/detangle and then add WGO and airdry my hair in several braids. then i would flat iron and have very straight hair... so much so that i stopped doing this because my hair was too straight and i wanted some of the body back! :lachen:

ttlayli

i used to wash/detangle and then add WGO and airdry my hair in several braids. then i would flat iron and have very straight hair... so much so that i stopped doing this because my hair was too straight and i wanted some of the body back! :lachen:

Wow really!!?? :spinning: My hair is thick like your also....did u cornrow or just plait???

dlove

After reading the respones from others that flat iron/straighten with hot combs I came up with this regimen:

1. Shampoo (only once)
2. Deep Protein Condition w/heat
3. Rinse, apply ACV for 3 minutes, rinse again
4. Moisturize using a deep moisturizer conditioner
5. Rinse w/ cool water
6. Detangle in shower with water only
7. Section off hair into 6-8 plaits
8. Let hair air dry to about 60%
9. Use dime size amount of Chi Silk Infusion to each section.

Blow dry each plait, give hair the cool shot at the end of drying each section.
Re- braid it to keep it stretched. Comb each small section with a small tooth comb and hold hair taut right before passing the hot comb through it. That usually avoids the breakage that comes from snags and tangles.

11. Use white paper towels to gauge how hot the hot comb is. If the Hot Comb turns the paper towels brown then it is too hot to put into hair.

ladylibra

Wow really!!?? :spinning: My hair is thick like your also....did u cornrow or just plait???

just plaits. the key is to make sure you pull the roots taut (not where you're seeing double or anything though) so that you don't have to burn your scalp trying to get your hair straight. :yep:

MissFallon

When I flatiron I usually do bantu knots to airdry or rollerset the mohawk way or in ponytails. My hair usually looks like a blowout.