Naturals Who Press/Flatiron Occasionally.....

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
I have a few questions:

When you press/flatiron do you do any kind of curls or twist/braid/bantu knot outs?

How long does the style last?

If so, what product(s) do you use on your length to set?

What moisturizing product(s) do you use for pressing/flatironing?

How soon do you wash it?

How do you wear your hair after you blowdry only?

TIA
Your responses are greatly appreciated!

~op~

moda

When you press/flatiron do you do any kind of curls or twist/braid/bantu knot outs?
I have pressed my hair and then rollerset it, the look is similar to the dominican blowout, no pics, but when I press my hair in 2 months I will update my album with the pics.

1 week, I wrap my hair around my head to keep the style fresh.

Normally after the style is achieved I apply carrot oil, and wrap it around my head.

I use liquid hair mayo, and black n sassy heet sheen mixed w/a heat protectant (can't think of the name of it)

How soon do you wash it?
I wash after a week

Been a while since I have blow dried my hair, but when I used to blow dry I would use a comb attachment to get my hair straight, and I would just bump the ends, the blow dryer gives me a fuller look, but I prefer to air dry and press/flat iron.

Kha

No, I typically just wear my hair straight with the ends slightly curled (from wrapping).

About a week, I wrap my hair at night around my head to keep it somewhat straight and curled.

After I’ve straightened my hair, I try not to use anymore products until my next wash. I may use some Mango Butter towards the end of the week when the edges need some smoothing.

I don’t use anything for my press, but I’ve been using Kenra Straightening Serum and a light hair oil while I blow-dry.

How soon do you wash it?
5-7 days after

I don’t wear my hair out after blow-drying only, I always press it after blowdrying so I can get in a good and “more accurate” trim.

Last edited:

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
Thanks ladies... Cincy you have some beautiful hair. I'm glad you are rediscovering it and exploring. It looks like you are having a lot of fun too!

Kha, girl, yo hair is sho nuff the bomb I like what you are doing! Keep it up! :ups: Thanks to you and sha for the great informative site!

More responses please.......... :grin:

Kha

Thanks Onepraying with your pretty self! I'm glad you find our site helpful, you keep up the good work too because your hair looks great!

balisi

onepraying said:
I have a few questions:

I don't press my hair and have flatironed only once since becoming natural. I did not do any type of set.
The flatironing lasts as long as I don't get any moisture or humidity on it, but I usually don't keep any style past 5 days.

I have used Aveda Brilliance products (I forget the exact name) but one comes in a tube, the other in a small jar.
How soon do you wash it?

I normally wouldn't choose to blowdry only, if at all.

TIA

~op~
Just my two cents. Hope that helps!

moda

Thanks girl, your hair is beautiful as well. Good luck with whatever you decide, be sure to update us.

Shatani

I have a few questions:

i usually opt for a deep wave from doing big pin curls....im not really inclined to do curling iron thing too much...but i do like a bit of bounce...when my hair is straight, it looks limp and thin to me.

usually just that one day, unless i redo it at night...

i dont put anything else on my hair...i add the products before i straighten and it doesnt require more usually...except a bit of shea butter mixture if my ends are feeling crunchy, but because i sleep in pin curls and a scarf and i wear it pinned up, that doesnt usually happen.

coconut oil, shea butter mixture, maybe serum (if im doing a hard press), and a heat protectant....

How soon do you wash it?

i get bored with straight hair...i havent kept it longer than a week yet....i have my routine and that includes deep condition and shampoo day on saturdays...

i dont own a blow dryer.

TIA

~op~