Naturals who straighten 24/7 - WHY?

werenumber2

Well what about white or hispanic women who flatiron their naturally curly hair constantly instead of undergoing permanent straightening (a la the japanese straightening method)? I think the reasons behind the decision are the same for everyone - wanting versatility, not wanting to depend on chemicals, not being able to afford the upkeep, etc.etc.

You basically described more than half of the girls I went to college with. A lot of them were white and Latina girls who I thought had naturally straight hair until they would show up one random day with these gorgeous curls. It turned out they were running late and didn't have time to straighten their hair that day. Better them than me.

jamoca5

I have a feeling that the question she intended to ask was moreso.. (or if not the question she intended to ask, one of the ones she really wanted answers to)

"People who hate the way their natural hair looks and would never be caught outside with it, why not just relax?"

Given the context, it doesn't really seem to be a question of people who just consider it a style preference....and yet everyone seems to bristle at the idea that that's what she's referring to. Seem's like THAT question has been answered a ton already on here as it is...

Either way I think it's more or less been answered, but I don't think it makes it any less interesting (or valid) of a question.
THANK YOU :bighug: That's the point I was trying to make.

Amerie123

didn't read it all, but i do know that even as a relaxed head, it still requires straightening w/ a flat iron, and/or the use of heat, so some may see it as, "why use chemicals if i still gotta straighten?"
Some people feel like if I'm gonna straighten w/ heat anyways, I mine as well don't use relaxers. I understand your question OP, it's valid, but this is one of the reasons why I would think some naturals prefer to straighten as a natural.
ETA: another reason is that a straightened natural look thicker than a relaxed head most of the time.

RocStar

As many have said before, the answer will vary with each person...there is not one answer or reason. It would be the same if you asked relaxed heads why do you curl or rollerset 24/7? I know you said you just wanted to understand why, but it really is just going to depend on the person.

Somewhat related, this post on the beauty brains claims that relaxing is more damaging than flat ironing...just an interesting read

http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/07/10/flat-iron-or-relaxing-which-damages-your-hair-more/

I would like to wear it straight, but I don't want it to get heat damaged.
Because, being honest, if it gets heat damaged, *I* feel like I mines well go ahead and go back to relaxing it.
I went natural to wear my curls, nothing more, nothing less.
I went natural for the CHOICE.
If my choice was taken away (by heat damage), it would lead me to go back to a relaxer.
I would like to wear my hair straight, but about 85% of the naturals I see who heat straighten, their textures look like relaxed hair that has been blown out.
I don't like that look.

RMichelleM

Hey Op!!!

Style preference is a superficial answer for a deeply psychodynamic issue. A true style preference would be: Short bob vs Pixie cut and Afro puff vs Twist out. That is truly a "style" preference. In my opinion your friends do not find their natural hair attractive or don't feel attractive wearing their natural hair due to xyz factors. Factors are different for everyone but the outcome is still the same- natural hair is not pretty and the straighten texture gives them a feeling of beauty and acceptance that is why they will not ever step out with their natural hair. That is not a style preference, people can call it that but it is not a style preference. So, people can draw on the obvious or continue to say it is no "that serious" or it is a "preference" or "I am allergic to relaxers" etc it is what is and the paradigm will not shift nor waver unless there is true insight into the matter but "we" as a whole are not ready and don't want to be ready for that because it will shift the paradigm.

while the above is true for some; i don't understand why "kinky vs straight" isn't simply a style preference for some people but "short vs Long" etc. is.

people with straight hair have the option to make it curly if they want to and there are people with straight hair who mostly wear their hair curly.

it seems to me that only people with "kinky" or "nappy" hair who want to wear it straight get shoved into the psychodynamic box (i could be wrong as i didn't read every single response; if so, forgive me for generalizing). people ask all the time "what about women with curly hair who straighten all the time?" but that never really seems to be addressed lol. it's like women with kinky hair have two options: 1. love your hair kinky or 2. be slapped with the "hi, i don't think im pretty if my hair isn't straight :)" name tag.

again, i know that there are women (and men for that matter) who have serious issues with hair texture and what it means as far as self/social acceptance...but that's not everyone who prefers straight hair...or is it? *shrug* idk

kayte

:blush: I wasn't trying to judge. Like I said, I was just curious.

I am ALL for disseminating info..how else do you learn
but there's a world of difference in

hey wondering what what the difference is in straightening hair with an iron and then, w/ relaxer. For example...why do some women choose not to relax or chemically straighten their hair...if they are straightening their hair anyway with the iron?

and then ...this.. :nono:
Naturals who straighten 24/7 - WHY?
Why call yourself natural but then constantly run a flat iron through your hair?

that's a judgement on identity..that question read to me as rhetorical
not genuine curiosity...and came off a tad obnoxious..OP .. :naughty:
but some generous thorough answers were given
hope the "curiosity" was sastisfied!
maybe you learned ..
a little bit about tact,too :)

Last edited:

BeautifulNameX

When i was relaxed i still had to flat iron my hair so i figured whats tha point of relaxing if i have to still use heat anyway.

jwhitley6

I used to wear my hair pressed all the time and it was bouncy, and healthy...then I decided to get a relaxer thinking my life would be easier. Well....my hair fell out/broke off terribly. I also realized that in order to make it look even close to my pressed hair I still had to heat style so what was the point?! :ohwell: Getting a relaxer made no sense for my head....NONE. :nono:

jwhitley6

I would like to wear it straight, but I don't want it to get heat damaged.
Because, being honest, if it gets heat damaged, *I* feel like I mines well go ahead and go back to relaxing it.
I went natural to wear my curls, nothing more, nothing less.
I went natural for the CHOICE.
If my choice was taken away (by heat damage), it would lead me to go back to a relaxer.
I would like to wear my hair straight, but about 85% of the naturals I see who heat straighten, their textures look like relaxed hair that has been blown out.
I don't like that look.

:huh: Who's heads are you looking at? They just ain't doing it right. :nono:

Irresistible

And then some naturals actually like to leave some texture to their presses/straightening and choose not to go bone straight and 'like it' just like that :look:

Miss AJ

Not everyone goes natural to wear kinky/ curly styles. My flat ironed natural hair was a lot healthier than my flat ironed, relaxed, dyed hair. I don't wear my hair straight very often but for the sake of my hair I have always chose one evil over the other (except for the last time which is why I am where I'm at now with my hair lol).

Leeda.the.Paladin

And then some naturals actually like to leave some texture to their presses/straightening and choose not to go bone straight and 'like it' just like that :look:

:huh: Who's heads are you looking at? They just ain't doing it right. :nono:

My hair is still big when I flat iron. This time I thought using a blow dryer beforehand would make it not so big, but it's still pretty big.

I suppose I could get it straighter. I suppose I could've use my dryer on high and I suppose I could use my maxiglide on the highest setting, do a few passes. But I don't want heat damage. And not having heat damage is more important to me than having a silky straight press.

I also believe that I just have a hair texture that is not easily straightened. When I was relaxed, I still had to blowdry and then flat iron...and it was usually still big. The stylists I would occasionally go to would complain about how much heat they had to use to get it straight. My hair is very coarse.

I dont' knock any natural that wants to heat straighten completely. I have a friend/coworker who I've watched during the past year or so transition to natural and as her relaxed hair left, it just became thicker and fuller and healthier. She's a heat straightened natural now.

melodies815

Just popping in to say that this thread has been helpful for me as I try to figure out what to do with my hair as it grows. I am natural, and SSKs are killing me right now...even though I mainly twist. I don't wear "out" styles much unless I am too lazy to wash my hair right after I take down twists...like now. :wallbash::wallbash:

Straightening my hair sounds great. Too bad I am in the 2010 Bootcamp...

cj

trynagrow

I think the reasoning behind a question like this is as flawed as believing there is something *off* about straightening relaxed hair. As if there's only two styles in the world and they can only be achieved in two ways. Relaxed for straight and natural for kinky/curly/coily. There's a lot of grey in between. I think one of the greatest things about natural hair is that you CAN do so many styles.

I know heat is damaging but it is just a type of manipulation just like using certain products and techniques to create different looks other than your hair in it's natural wash and go state (gel, wax, shine products, holding spray, braid outs, twists, etc). They all create a look that changes what your hair looks like coming naturally out of your head. Some more involved than others but to some degree, the same. What's wrong with that?

As a previous poster said, it's the same as other "natural" non-blacks who have relatively straight hair getting their hair blown out/straightened. It's a different look or may be viewed as an enhancement and I can understand why some find it desirable/more desirable and easier for THEM to maintain.

Having natural hair is not (necessarily) about making a statement or showing off that you're natural just because. Maybe to some it is but to some people, it is what it is: the stuff that grows out their head! And just like anything else on their body, they can do with it what they want. It's an accessory, an added beauty and just like other forms of beauty - like clothing or jewelry - it can change, have different styles, etc.

Nia430

Im a natural and I wear my hair straight on a regular basis or I wear a sew in. I dont straighten my hair every day at 450 :nono: when I wear my own hair I rollerset it once a week and press some of my roots that need it. Just because I wear my hair straight does not mean that I think my own natural texture is unattractive. But I have alot of shrinkage and Im not feeling the look of short hair on myself. Once my hair gets longer I plan to wear some curly styles in spring or summer. But right now its the middle of winter and im in Michigan so straight hair is just easier for me.

I used to be that natural. In my case, that was all I knew, straight hair and cornrows. When I finally did get the perm at 17 no matter how strong it was my hair wouldn't get straight and my scalp always got damaged. After I transitioned and cut the perm I still kept it straight because that's all I had know and I didn't even know my hair was curly until I was about 22. When I did find out I had been straightening my hair so often (weekly) that it was already damaged. I had to make the decision to either continue or grow it out. I chose to grow it out. I think it just depends on whether you're knowledgeable and accepting of your own hair. Not saying that all naturals aren't but some just choose not wear what was given to them.

biancaelyse

there is no one "Voice of the Naturals" LOL!! Ppl go natural for a variety of reasons and can choose to style their hair in a variety of ways.