Naturals who straiten-how do you maintain it?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I am interested in straitening my hair. I tried it on Saturday and I could not maintain it. Please give me some tips on how to do this. If I can't maintain a strait look I'll return to texlaxing in a year. My hair is too thick to handle daily and my hands just can't take it.:nono: I am researching more you tube vids so I can continue experimenting. I am trying the roller setting challenge, too.

sydwrites

Make sure you start with a clean slate, I usually clarify before straightening.
Deep condition your hair but dont use too many hydrating products or your hair will be big and fluffy; try the smoothing products. I wouldnt put too many products in my hair, I tend to use the more watery leave-ins when I straighten. Although I get good results rollersetting first, I find the best straight style starts with a good blowdrying session. Make sure you use a heat protectant my favorite is Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide. Before flat-ironing I add some Sabino Moisture Block, now its not the end all be all for me like some others , but that stuff even makes my rollersets smoother and I have to actually saturate my hair to get the full curl back. Finally wrap or roll your hair up at night and maybe add some coconut oil for moisture instead of a water based product. HTH

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

I purchased a lot of scarves, i keep them everywhere, in my car, purse, desk drawer, trunk....when the humidity gets high or rain is on the horizon, i quickly wrap my hair and don a scarf. i'm pretty anal about it, because, it's too much work to let it revert so quickly...

my dh has even adapted, he buys me gorgeous scarves and gives me the weather report daily, hourly, even (i live in houston)...i also use sabino mb, i keep an umbrella handy at all times and i try not to break a sweat...it's a heck of a job staying gorgeous, i tell ya'. Lord only knows how my hair will look this summer... ;-)

Hair Iam

Less product is best , start with good shampoo, condition , use water based leave in , Chi , blow dry, then flat iron. I wrap my hair at knight , cover with a silk scarf, sleep on my stomach:grin:, carry an umbrella and satin scarf. I wear my hair in a bun during the day. My flat irons last 2 weeks ...then I wash and deep condition.

Kurly K

i wrap everynite (mostly lol) and spray with oil sheen every other day in the winter ever 2-3 days in summer

DDTexlaxed

Thanks for the tips, ladies! I'm trying my best to keep my hair and myself happy!:yep: I have a lot of research and you tubing to do! If I can keep my hair natural and go relaxer strait without a problem, I'm going to be a happy camper!

RMichelleM

this is what i do (i keep my hair straight for 2weeks):

1. shampoo/condition
2. deep condition
3. leave in conditioner (moisture)
4. straightening balm for blowdrying (protectant)
5. serum for flat iron (protectant)

*i use the maxiglide. it gets my hair very sleek and the steam function really does provide more moisture*

i moisturize with CD healthy hair butter and seal with coconut oil. pincurl at night.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
When I straighten my natural hair, it stays straight for a month. I shampoo, condition, blowdry, and flat-iron with grease. At night, I either wrap it or put all my hair in a butterfly clip. I do not moisturize at all because my hair will revert back to its natural state. I may apply a little bit of grease or spray some oil sheen on my hair but that's it.

morehairplease

this is what i do (i keep my hair straight for 2weeks):

1. shampoo/condition
2. deep condition
3. leave in conditioner (moisture)
4. straightening balm for blowdrying (protectant)
5. serum for flat iron (protectant)

*i use the maxiglide. it gets my hair very sleek and the steam function really does provide more moisture*

i moisturize with CD healthy hair butter and seal with coconut oil. pincurl at night.

Hi there,

Do you mind me asking what straightening bald and serum you use?

tia,
morehairplease

sound

I had my hair straightened professionally (Aveda Concept Salon) but...

• TINY bit of Aveda Anti-Humectant on my roots about two days out of the week.
  • Coconut oil on the length, every night.
  • Dab of Castor oil on the ends, every night.
  • Pin curl, every night.
  • And I of course wrap it up with a silk/satin scarf every night.

TheQueenBeeMaya

I get mine done by my stylist, and i'm not sure exactly what products she uses besides chi silk infusion, but once to maintain it I....

moisturize my ends with kinky curly leave in conditioner, seal with coconut oil
a TINY bit of olive oil on my scalp (not too much or it looses SWANG !)
and of course, wrap my hair every night with a silk scarf

Country gal

Wrapping doesn't work for me. I like pin curling my hair. I got my hair done last Wednesday and it is still holding up.

LynnieB

I am interested in straitening my hair. I tried it on Saturday and I could not maintain it. Please give me some tips on how to do this. If I can't maintain a strait look I'll return to texlaxing in a year. My hair is too thick to handle daily and my hands just can't take it.:nono: I am researching more you tube vids so I can continue experimenting. I am trying the roller setting challenge, too.

I did mine last night, too bad I wasn't paying attention to the weather forecast for tomorrow and Saturday :ohwell: :grin:

Usually the heat protectant that I use does 80% of the work of keeping it from blowing up. I apply a really good amount of protectant before straightening. I'm all out of SMB so I went back to my cheapie L'oreal product.

Making flat bantu-type knots or pincurling at night usually keeps it under control. I did 6 pincurls last night and it kept the hair nice and straight.

Give your natural a chance to grow sis, the longer it is, the easier it seems to be to maintain (at least it is for me)!

nappystorm

I did mine last night, too bad I wasn't paying attention to the weather forecast for tomorrow and Saturday :ohwell: :grin:

Usually the heat protectant that I use does 80% of the work of keeping it from blowing up. I apply a really good amount of protectant before straightening. I'm all out of SMB so I went back to my cheapie L'oreal product.

Making flat bantu-type knots or pincurling at night usually keeps it under control. I did 6 pincurls last night and it kept the hair nice and straight.

Give your natural a chance to grow sis, the longer it is, the easier it seems to be to maintain (at least it is for me)!

You hair is awesome:lick::lick::lick:!!!! I have the opposite experience with the bolded though.

BostonMaria

Lynnie, your hair is absolutely gorgeous! Are you waist length now?

OP, here is a link to PinkSkates "naturals that straighten" thread that I subscribe to: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=298845

I believe she's 4a/4b and has major shrinkage, but is very successful at keeping her hair straight. BTW, what methods are you using to straighten your hair? Blow dryer, flatiron, rollersets?

Allandra

Great tips ladies.

I pretty much do the same and my straighten hair can last for 14 days.

1. shampoo
2. DEEP condition (provides my hair with LOTS of moisture)
3. blow dry
4. flat iron

I do use Sabino Moisture Block (a little goes a very long way). I use a satin scarf at night (after placing my hair in a bun). When I take my hair down the next morning, I have some nice curls on the end. I love it.

DDTexlaxed

LynneB! I'm working like heck to keep my hair natural! I'm just trying to learn how to straiten my hair without damaging it.:nono: I was really depressed when I made this thread and now I'm feeling much better about my natural hair. I did my first successful twist out and now I am working towards my first successful roller set. :yep: I am learning more about my natural hair. I know I have to be patient. I'm trying!:lachen: I am wondering what is a good blow dry cream. I can't afford sabino. Please, help!

Last edited:

kblc06

LynnieB, your hair looks AMMMAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kinkycotton

Thanks for having this post up. I haven't tried to straighten my hair yet but soon after I get out of the twa phase. This forum is great.:grin:

msa

When I use to straighten I wrapped at night and unwrapped in the morning. Once it started getting frizzy I did bantu knots at night to make it curly the next day.

I have a question, you said in your OP that your hair is too thick to handle daily. Why are you handling it daily? There are styles you can do (braids, twists, etc.) that definitely last more than one day. Or are easy to maintain over night, like bantu knot outs. Or, you could wear a wig sometimes to take a break.

DDTexlaxed

When I use to straighten I wrapped at night and unwrapped in the morning. Once it started getting frizzy I did bantu knots at night to make it curly the next day.

I have a question, you said in your OP that your hair is too thick to handle daily. Why are you handling it daily? There are styles you can do (braids, twists, etc.) that definitely last more than one day. Or are easy to maintain over night, like bantu knot outs. Or, you could wear a wig sometimes to take a break.

Because I have carpal tunnel in both hands, doing twists is very hard and time consuming. I can't braid or do bantu knots. I'm working on learning how to strengthen my hands. Basically, all I do is wash n go daily. My flat twists in the avatar took me 2 hours. I start the style, then stop when my hands hurt. Then start again. I'm hoping to become more skilled at twisting and maybe it will take me less time.:rolleyes:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Get you some Sabino Moisture Block girl, lol. You won't have to worry about reversion with that stuff.

As far as maintaining, I usually wrap or cross-wrap at night. If I want some loose waves I'll put it in a ponytail and do one or two big pin curls, and always cover with a scarf.