Naturals who straiten- how do you style after?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I am working on tweaking my regimen and adding strait styles to my hair. I am successful at getting my hair strait, but styling it after is a disaster! Can you please give me some tips on how you style your hair after you straiten it? I managed to eliminate the blow dryer by only attempting this on air dried hair. The only way I can get my hair strait is by using an electric press comb with my setting on 350 degrees. It comes out strait and I tried to roller set after. I am encouraged at the fact that I can straiten, I just have to figure out styling after.:rolleyes:

Nonie

:giggle: You must be experiencing the same confusion/boredom I had after straightening my hair. I loved how easy it was to comb and style, but that was about it. My styling options seemed so limited. I seem to only think of two ways to wear my pressed hair. Like this:

....and like this:

Unless I braid it...

and then wear a braid-out:

Maybe some day I will have enough length to try Traycee's buns. :drunk:

danigurl18

I have the same problem.. my hair usually looks like crap after the first day...Nonie how did you do that braided thing in your first pic? You should make some tutorials

lilsparkle825

SouthernTease bun, donut bun, ponytail with the hump at the top...

...my styling skills are limited, and I only flat iron once every 2 months.

So basically I came in here to get ideas. LOL

Nonie

I have the same problem.. my hair usually looks like crap after the first day...Nonie how did you do that braided thing in your first pic? You should make some tutorials

That was really easy. I just made that diagonal part at the front and then combed the hair back smoothing with hands (I'm not a fan of brushes) and then where you'd normally put a pony tail, I just did as single braid and then instead of just leaving it hanging, I tucked the end under. So it was basically this type of plait but without the pony tail holder.

AtlantaJJ

:giggle: You must be experiencing the same confusion/boredom I had after straightening my hair. I loved how easy it was to comb and style, but that was about it. My styling options seemed so limited. I seem to only think of two ways to wear my pressed hair. Like this:

....and like this:

Maybe some day I will have enough length to try Traycee's buns. :drunk:
Nonie, I love those buns! I can't wait until I can do a bun again...ugh!! :drunk:

naturalmanenyc

I wear it down, wrap style, for a few days and then pin it up in a bun until wash day. Or loose curls for a few days and then the pin up.

AtlantaJJ

:drool: @ all these pretty hair do's!!

I'm hennaing tonight and straightening next weekend. I don't know if my hair is long enough to bun or not :scratchch We shall see..

I know I can do pin curls though!! :up: Pin curls are nice, or a roll up on satin rollers for a curly do is nice on hair that's at an inbetween length. I'll make an attempt at that next weekend.

TheQueenBeeMaya

I wrap it every night and wear it down everyday! I'm not really a fan of protective styles, I want to enjoy my hair at every length. If for some reason my wrap gets messed up or I sweat out my roots then I'll bun until wash day.

LynnieB

I'll wear it down for a day or two or pin curl it for a few days and then it up it goes into a ponytail or bun until it's time to wash it.

I'm not sure if this happens to anyone else but I find that it takes some time getting used to having that kind of length to worry about every day :ohwell:

It can really get in your way, then again it's a really nice dramtic change at the same time :grin:.

Sounds silly and 'flicted but it's true - at least it is for me.

DDTexlaxed

I wear it down, wrap style, for a few days and then pin it up in a bun until wash day. Or loose curls for a few days and then the pin up.

Can some one please tell me how to wrap it? I am still all thumbs!:blush: Nonie, you are my shero! I still can't plait, but you are encouraging me to learn.:rolleyes: My hair is still too short for buns.:ohwell: I am very happy at the length it is. My natural hair has never been this long and it is in the mullet stage.:rolleyes: I am trying like hell to keep from damaging it or throwing a chemical in it. I am going to be researching you tubes again. Maybe I missed something. I'm going to try using SMB my next time.

Junebug D

When I straightened mine, I just put rollers in it every night and wore it in some version of curly and loose. When I was too lazy to roll it at night, I would just wear a ponytail. :ohwell:

PinkSkates

After I straighten, I will either do a 2 way wrap, or a pin-curl set.
If I'm in a hurry to go out after straightening, I will whip out my curling iron and bump my ends or give myself some spiral curls.

DDTexlaxed

Pink Skates, do you use a certain kind of heat protector to keep your hair strait? I am still very encouraged at the ease it took to straiten this time. The hot comb is the key to my success even though it was an electric one.:grin: I did not heat damage it, either. I just have some fine tuning to do.:yep:

PinkSkates

Pink Skates, do you use a certain kind of heat protector to keep your hair strait? I am still very encouraged at the ease it took to straiten this time. The hot comb is the key to my success even though it was an electric one.:grin: I did not heat damage it, either. I just have some fine tuning to do.:yep:

Before I blow dry I spray on Aveda Damage Control as my main heat protectant. And as I press my hair, I apply CHI silk infusion to each section of hair. That gives my hair silkiness and a bit more heat protection for my hair strands.
...practice makes perfect girl!:yep:

naturalmanenyc

Re: Naturals who straighten- how do you style after?

Wrapping hair

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDOPWlDylV4

Can some one please tell me how to wrap it? I am still all thumbs!:blush: Nonie, you are my shero! I still can't plait, but you are encouraging me to learn.:rolleyes: My hair is still too short for buns.:ohwell: I am very happy at the length it is. My natural hair has never been this long and it is in the mullet stage.:rolleyes: I am trying like hell to keep from damaging it or throwing a chemical in it. I am going to be researching you tubes again. Maybe I missed something. I'm going to try using SMB my next time.