Naturals who transitioned/are transitioning with BRAIDS:

strands.of.gold

How did you go about deep conditioning while in braids? I've been wearing box braids (I've used both synthetic and human hair throughout the year), and to be honest, I haven't kept up with a commitment to moisturizing my natural strands along the way. I DC after taking braids out, then get my hair re-braided usually the day after that. Unfortunately, I was doing more protein treatments than moisturizing. So anyway, to make a long story short, a week ago, I took my braids out to get them re-done, and I basically BC'd...but what was left was a short, matted, and extremely dry 4b twa with 4a in the back. But I know that had I been properly caring for my hair all this time under those braids, my twa would be more softer and much healthier. Now that I think about it, I don't even really know my hair type/texture, because my hair had been severely under-moisturized which DOES NOT FLY with natural hair:nono:. So I need to start adding moisture now. I got box braids again (human hair) to let my hair grow out some more, but how do I kick up the moisture before the actual reveal?

-how did you DC? (please be as specific as possible)
-did you prefer human or synthetic hair as far as keeping hair soft and moisturized
-what was your daily moisture routine? (include product names if possible)

Thanks ladies, I really appreciate it

msa

When I wore braids if I dc'd I would dilute conditioner with water and pour it on, then leave it on for a while and rinse out. I didn't wash and condition often to be honest.

But I did make sure to moisturize my braids every single day, making sure to moisturize down to where the ends of my hair were. I used Oyin's Juices & Berries spray to moisturize but you could basically use any braid spray as long as you use it often. A lot of people like Infusium Moisturologie.

Oh and check out www.growafrohairllong.com for the "crown and glory" technique of growing your hair out with braids.

Nonie

-how did you DC? (please be as specific as possible)
-did you prefer human or synthetic hair as far as keeping hair soft and moisturized
-what was your daily moisture routine? (include product names if possible)

Thanks ladies, I really appreciate it

When I transitioned in braids, I didn't know about DCing, so I just washed my hair whenever it felt dry and conditioned--which was usually at least twice a week. Sometimes I'd condition wash instead of using shampoo. I didn't use any moisturizer, but slept in a plastic cap every night (a habit I started way back in jheri curl days). However, now that I know about DCing, I do DC in braids. Sometimes I do it as I explained here but mostly, I do dry DCing where I apply GPB or HSR to my hair again skipping the inch closest to my scalp, applying to a few strands at a time, squeezing, and then braiding to get them out of the way to focus on another set. I then wear a cap or just braid them together to get them out of the way, while I do household chores. Then I rinse off after 15 minutes. I usually don't use heat for dry DCing.

I prefer human hair as it gives me a lot of versatility in styling. I also find it doesn't make me itch. Synthetic hair used feel prickly on my scalp and if it touches my neck or back.

I don't use any "moisturizers" per se. For my moisture I shampoo and condition twice a week (with one of those involving a DC) and might throw in a CW somewhere in the middle if I feel like it, and then I baggy nightly.

aegis

i transitioned and never once deep conditioner or did anything like that (shame shame i know) this was before i knew anything about my hair though.
i did spray my hair with moisturizer however quite often.

winnettag

I've been wearing braids since junior high and never thought to DC until Aggie mentioned it and I'm trying it on my current braids.
My hair was always soft though after taking the braids out as long as I used my braid spray (better braids or african royale) every day. :yep:

Right now, I just dilute the conditioner and leave it on while I shower, so about 5-10 min once a week after shampooing. And I just picked up some Hawaiian Silky moisturizer and sheen spray that looks even better than my previous braid sprays.
I prefer synthetic hair (crown and glory method).

LovinLea

when i wear braids, the deep conditioning my hair part was not as important as making sure to spray my hair with braid moisturizer EVERY DAY. (african royale)

i also preferred synthetic hair because i had problems with matting when it came to the human hair.

BlackMasterPiece

I transitioned with Senegalese twists on and off. I would spray it with braid spray almost every day I think with braids the key is to keep it in good condition while they're in, rather then DCing.

Synthetic hair was my best friend for Twists, loved it, no issues with tangles, knots or breakage whatsoever. I'm pretty sure I'll be putting my hair in senegalese twist extensions for the first time in a long time in the coming weeks:yep: a great break from styling and a nice break for your hair.....I can't wait:grin:

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
I never dc while in braids either, only time I did it is when I took the braids out, but I moisturized everyday.

Irresistible

when i wear braids, the deep conditioning my hair part was not as important as making sure to spray my hair with braid moisturizer EVERY DAY. (african royale)

i also preferred synthetic hair because i had problems with matting when it came to the human hair.
I did the same many moons ago

I would have over 100 braids in my hair , found out that was REAL HEAVY wet real quick

I used African pride and Mo betta braids ( think its called) alot , even tho the glycerine drove me nuts

also back then I used african pride grease, that stuff was the bomb for keeping the hair good underneath and at the same time greasing up the braided hair making it shiny and feel better, also no under braid product clumping whatsoever

I only left the braids in for 5-6 weeks at a time tho , I was braiding myself so this was not an issue, and would spend a week in between conditioning

grew out my hair perfectly

eta: also preferred synthetic (kankelon or whatever) other hair cut through my own hair like glass

Sequoia

I'm transitioning with braids- I make sure that my DC isn't too thick and rinse it out very well. The best DC I've used so far is to mix some coconut cream with a few tsp o honey and olive oil; i sometimes add a few squirts of a cheapie con so it's not so runny. I find it very moisturising for my new growth.

I've only ever used synthetic hair; the brand is called Expressions. Never had a problem with tangling even though I wash an DC every 1 or 2 weeks.

I don't moisturise daily, only as needed. I mix up a braid spray depending on what I have at home- Glycerin and aloe vera juice or very diluted conditioner.

Aggie

I Dc my extension braided hair every 2-3 weeks by wearing either a large oversized heavy knitted hair net and pouring diluted conditioner through my hair. I would coverit with a plastic cap and leave it on for an hour then rinse it out, apply heavily diluted Aussie Moist conditioner as a leave in.

I would then lean over, let braids fall forward, grap a large towel and wrap my hair in it like a turban, squeeze out the water a little, but leave it wrapped for 2 hours or so and voila, mostly dried hair. My hair is sometimes still a little damp and at this point I would apply my moisturizer and braid spray.

FYI - I wash my hair the same way as I DC with diluted poo.

ETA: My moisturizer has a mixture of castor oil in it and believe it or not, this stuff leaves my hair very moisturized. I had my braids in 7.5 weeks this time, just took them down last night and I had no knots or matting. My new growth was very soft to the touch as I was taking down my braids.

Last edited:

isabella09

I’ve been transitioning with braids for about 15months my regimen is;
- (pre-poo as needed) Wash once a week with a shampoo bar.
- Do a steam DC with AO HSR, final rinse with ACV and add Oyin Honey-Hemp Conditioner as a leave-in conditioner
- On a daily basis I moisturise with Qhemet Biologics’s Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm and Qhemet Biologics’s Burdock Root Butter Cream then seal with BJ castor and avocado oil (I’ve tried braid spray but they don’t provide my hair with enough moisture.
- I re-do my hair myself when it starts getting a little messy (one section every couple of days or when I have time to do it) and whilst doing that, I use the shed hair for a wet assessment; if my hair needs protein I spray Joico K-pak Liquid Reconstructor.

Liberianmami26

here it goes for moisturizing i guess

I have my braids in now and they are synthetic your regular kanekalon hair. I followed the instructions on growafrohairlong.com and soaked the braids in some vinegar for a few minutes i washed it out with some conditioner and let it air dry before i then braided my hair myself. this cuts down on the itching.

For Moisturizing...
I have a spray bottle with distilled water and i usually spray my hair with it in the morning then i rub some shea butter on by section followed by coconut oil and im out the door.
...when i am being lazy which is most mornings
-i but my braids up in a messy bun then jump in the shower with no shower cap on so when i get out most my hair is wet and i just throw on wateva moisturizer or coconut oil and call it a day.

For my DC
I put conditioner in my hair in sections put a shower cap on go to sleep wake up.
mix some water and baking soda and scrub my scalp with it jump in the shower rinsed off the baking soda and conditioner put a lil shampoo on my scalp rinse
put a cheapie suave conditioner on hair rinse and t shirt dry and thats all folks
hope this helps anyone

Nonie

HOW LONG SHOULD ONE LEAVE IN BRAIDS? AND HOW LONG SHOULD ONE REST THE HAIR BETWEEN BRAIDS???

According to Robin:

• [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]How Long To Keep Style: From 2 months at a time if you're braiding to grow the hair. [/FONT]

• Allow Your New Growth To Breathe
    It's good to let your hair breathe for two months after you've been in braids for 2 months. If y
    ou can't wait 2 months, continue to take the best care of your hair.
Taken from http://www.growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html

I do my own thing though. I keep them in forever, coz I redo them as needed. Please read the entire braid regimen at that link if you are new to wearing braids. You can change it to suit you once you are comfortable enough to do that.

LadyPaniolo

Crown & Glory braids were my best friend after my BC. I wore a TWA for maybe 6 months or even longer but then started w/ my braids. I loved them!

I found that DCing in braids left me with tons of wet hair that took forever to dry... :nono: So I focused on daily moisturizing w/a mix of: braid spray, Infusium, and water in equal proportions. I would spray my braids down thoroughly. Robin (C&G method) says use a sponge to moisturize, but I prefer to just spray carefully. It takes like 10 mins to be sure EVERY braid is saturated, but then I would just let the braids dry and be good for a day (or two ).

It's really easy to forget to moisturize your hair when it is in braids. That, and potential hairline damage and matting, are the biggest drawbacks to braids.

Oh, BE SURE to avoid getting the spray on your scalp or on the inch of hair closest to your scalp. This will help avoid product buildup that leads to matting! Rinsing your braids in the shower every week or so helps keep buildup to a minimum as well.

Now my hair is so long that I just can't stand to braid it. (MBL) It takes over a week, and I get so sick of it I can't stand it anymore. But I do love the ease of wearing it once the braids are done.