Keeping hair moist in braids/braid regimene

Ms_Twana

Okay ladies. I have a cute set of micro braids. They may not be micro, but they're small (smaller than pencil sized). I have 100% human hair. My hair is natural and about 3 inches in length. The braider braided about 1.5-2 inches past my hair, then did the knot. So, the rest of the hair is straight. So, my question to you is, what should I use as a regimen??

I've gone to the growafrolonghair site. But, I don't have the box braids that are braided all the way down, nor do I have long hair that extends down my braids. So, I wasn't sure if that regimen would work for me. I also did a search here, and some people said to wash human hair, and others said to NEVER wash human hair. But, basically right now, I have NO CLUE what to do.

I did buy the African Pride Braid Spray that the braid lady talked about. I also bought some Surge Plus 14 for my edges. Someone mentioned that. But I really don't know how to apply these products, nor how often. Some say they moisturized their hair everyday with S-curl. But then the braid lady said not to because it causes build-up on the scalp. And because my hair IS so short, what ever I apply will get on my scalp. Sorry this is so long, I just don't want to lose the health of my hair due to lack of moisture. Also, can you swin in human hair braids?? TIA ladies!!!

baby42

i am in box braids now i wash deep con use mtg surge and and moisturizing with infusium 23 i dont use braids spray a lot just a little sta-sof i surge every day i guess my braids stay moist because i bag every night and its working for me when i wash i use a socking cap sometime:eek: well the braids are ready for a redo any way lol i guess if you use a swiming cap you should be a right to swim in oh i also put my hair in a pony tail when i wash part shampoo and part water same with the con there are other people i am sure that will let you know how they do their some use seabreeze to keep their hair clean but i think you stll have to wash it sooner or later :lol: i do the same with my c rolls also but i only go for two months the most my hair is cut short but it growing so i am happy good luck and happy growing:)

sareca

I think Robin's method works no matter what your length. :yep: But I deviate from her regimen too. I condition my hair w/ diluted leave-in conditioner every time I wash it . I usually mix a little honey and oil in too. Yeah, I know what she says about oil, but my hair is very prone to dryness and needs oil. As a matter of fact, I even do amla oil pre-poo on my braids and apply grapeseed oil mixed w/ MSM before I spray on Surge 14. :eek:

I use a nuked aquis towel to steam my hair after applying the conditioner or oil. I just took a few twists out to see how it's going and it looked fantastic, but I did have a lot of buildup. She gives special instructions for removing extensions w/ a lot of buildup. Basically you just remove one strand of hair from the tangled at a time. Works like charm.

ETA: I use african pride, but not their braid spray and I mix mine w/ Aphogee Green Tea Reconstructor. My hair doesn't line infusium. :nono:

Last edited:

Ms_Twana

Sareca, how often do you apply your products???

sareca said:
I think Robin's method works no matter what your length. :yep: But I deviate from her regimen too. I condition my hair w/ diluted leave-in conditioner every time I wash it . I usually mix a little honey and oil in too. Yeah, I know what she says about oil, but my hair is very prone to dryness and needs oil. As a matter of fact, I even do amla oil pre-poo on my braids and apply grapeseed oil mixed w/ MSM before I spray on Surge 14. :eek:

I use a nuked aquis towel to steam my hair after applying the conditioner or oil. I just took a few twists out to see how it's going and it looked fantastic, but I did have a lot of buildup. She gives special instructions for removing extensions w/ a lot of buildup. Basically you just remove one strand of hair from the tangled at a time. Works like charm.

ETA: I use african pride, but not their braid spray and I mix mine w/ Aphogee Green Tea Reconstructor. My hair doesn't line infusium. :nono:

growthbyforce

I am trying out the neo AF that everybody's ravin about and am using it alone on my entire scalp till i take my braids out. Everyday I grease my scalp with it then spray the rest of my braids with mane n' tail hair strengthening leave in conditioner. I then rub in some elasta QP mango butter followed by a little EVOO.

sareca

Ms_Twana said:
Sareca, how often do you apply your products???

I wash my hair 2X/week. The braid spray concoction goes on everyday except wash day. The pre-poo goes on the night before a wash day. The grapeseed oil and Surge 14 go on everyday (that I remember).

Last edited: