Naturals who two strand twist- do you all have this issue, too?

Bubblingbrownshuga

My two strands mat within two days. When I try to do my two strand twistout, I have to deal with twists that won't unravel properly. Do any of you experience this? For those who used to, what did you do to combat this?

JustKiya

Nope, can't say that I have to deal with this...... Hrmmm.

It might be one of two things...

1) I comb each twist section out completely before twisting it. I don't do comb parts, but I do comb each section, if that makes sense?

2) I do a 'double' twist........ Okay. You've got strand A and strand B, and together they make Twist C. As I'm wrapping strand A & B together, I'm spinning each strand - so it's like Strand A gets 'twirled' then wrapped around strand B. Strand B gets 'twirled' then wrapped around strand A, and so forth and so on.......until I hit the end of the twist, and then I 'twirl' the bottom of Twist C around my fingers, and done.

I think the second step helps stop the matting a LOT, because strand A and strand B can't really tangle around each other, because they are twirled independantly. When I take my twists down, I twirl the whole twist in the opposite direction of how I twisted it, and then pull the two apart (gently, obviously!) I'd say out of my whole head, I might have three strands (usually in my nape where my hair is less kinky but more tangly) where I have to 'fight' them a little to get them to come apart.

I also usually end up with a flyer than all get out twist out as well, because strand A and strand B hold their shape until I start messing with them and 'untwirl' them....

I hope that helped, some....

Last edited:

mscocoface

I get matting if I do three or more washings in the same twists w/o extension hair.

I am not sure why but it just does. One of the ways I combat this is I created a really good spray that contains at least one or two oils in it a cheapie conditioner and either glycerine or scurl type solution.

I notice when I do this I don't get that matting. But if I don't look out. I usually have to make sure the twists are soaking wet with conditioner or something else when I take them apart. I usually will do this anyway unless I want a twist out. Then I won't use as much but I will still make sure they are slightly moist or at least misted.

I hate the snap, crackle, pop sound!!!!!!!!

OT: I know you get this a lot, but I really like your hair it is really thick and healthy. I am hoping when I reach my third goal length WL :grin: I will do something to show its length. Not sure what but I will figure out something.

wonderstar

That happens to me after like 3 days. The strands that won't cooperate (I can't say split cause they aren't) just wrap themselves around the twisted hair.