Naturals who wear ponytails, puffs & wash & go's...

MissFallon

How do u protect your ends so you retain the maximum length? I am currently wearing a curly ponytail daily and I'm worried about my ends being exposed. What should I do to make sure I retain all the length I may gain?

Can you stand to have saran wrap under there? That's the only thing I can think off.

I wet my hair with water and prep the curls with olive and coconut oil on the daily, so I'm not too concerned about the ends being out. As long as you moisturize your hair, there shouldn't be any problems.

PS-On the days when I'm completely lazy and don't do squat to my curls, I pull my hair back with an elastic hair tie and tuck the ends under. That's another way to protect the ends.

What if your ponytail rubs against your neck? Since I've been using Curlaway my hair has less shrinkage and hangs almost to the base of my neck instead of making a puff

I agree. As long as they're not brushing on your clothes or anything then there should be no damage. The air hitting them isn't what's going to cause damage.
ITA:yep:. I try to limit the amount I wear my hair down, b/c it rubs against clothing(like twice a month). I don't think everynow and then is going to hurt, but if it's a daily rubbing against materails you might look into more protective styles.

A ponytail or braids is the only protective style I can do. Maybe if I scrunch and pick it out it won't rub on my neck

A ponytail or braids is the only protective style I can do. Maybe if I scrunch and pick it out it won't rub on my neck

Just make sure you moisterize and seal it. It should be fine. I wear mines out daily, and I don't have any drying issues at all. Don't forget to moisterize at night and braid your hair before going to bed...that's important.

What if your ponytail rubs against your neck? Since I've been using Curlaway my hair has less shrinkage and hangs almost to the base of my neck instead of making a puff

It's the fibers in the clothing that break it off. That's why my hair stayed shoulder length forever when I was relaxed. I wore it down too much and the friction on the ends kept breaking it off. Once you get past shoulder the hair kind of lays flat on your clothes so it's not rubbing back and forth as much. I wouldn't worry about your neck.

Last edited:
try to wear your pony tail up higher I do. I dont' wear it low and tighten up your band. maybe put a knot in it. I use a little IC gel and brush my hair lightly and put the band around it. I smooth it all to the center and there it is a pony puff. it looks cute too. People swear I brought it but its all mine. Since I started using the gel I am not in it as much. it stays neat all day and you can spray it at night and tight around with a silk or satin scarf and then add a bonnet over top of that. I dont do this because I cw everyday and so I just start over each morning. No problem, you can also twirl your hair around your finger have little curls, they stay that way to. Good luck whatever you decided to do. But this pretty much an everyday thing I also use clips and combs to keep my back up on days i don use a band. I never leave it hanging down. Don't like it touching anything.

I keep my curly ponies soaked with S-curl & oil w/maybe a little IC. Then I braid it up at night.

What's Culaway? Where do you get it?

I either wet my whole head every morning in the shower or spray it with my trusty water bottle if I'm wearing a puff.

Back