Any naturals retain length with consistent bunning?

Niapb

I can't seem to retain length for anything, I've been wearing braidouts and braid N curls for a while but those only last me a day, two days at most so it's way too much manipulation to actually retain anything. How do other naturals feel about bunning? Do you feel like you retain length/moisture better? What about thinning edges due to the pulling of the hair into the ponytail? Let me know cause I need some help!

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I don't like bunning for myself since I notice that my edges thin and leaving my hair in one position all the time works against my progress.

I personally twist my hair either daily or several times a week but don't have problems with the manipulation. However, I am finding, unlike many other naturals, that regular use of protein and moisture works for my hair. Its currently in its strongest state ever, so it is growing with regular manipulation. I am retaining my new growth AND my ends aren't splitting or falling off.

Makenzie

Bunning helped me retain length. I would use my spray mixture of conditioner and water everytime I I combed my hair and placed in a bun. Then slick down the edges with Eco Styler. I only brush from the middle of my head to the back and place hair in the pony tail holder. Then use a toothbrush to brush the edges. This minimized breakage for me. The issue I'm facing now is since I am wearing my hair out I get breakage when I come my hair at night to roll it up for the next day.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i retained length by bunning but it broke off my edges. i think if you are going to be natural and bun you should strech the hair out before bunning. wet buns are the debil.

classychic1908

I live in my bun!! I wear a damp bun nearly every day! I dampen my hair at night with my aloe juice and veggie glycerin mix (sometimes I do this in the morning instead). I sleep with my hair in a loose pineapple and I bun in the morning. I smooth my edges with some gel, use a black satin scrunchie to hold my ponytail, and tie it down with a silk scarf for a few minutes. I don't pull them tight and I change the position periodically. I also don't comb my hair, but rarely I'll use a baby brush on the edges. Wearing my hair out daily would really hurt my retention. My reggie is very low manipulation and I like to keep my ends protected.

Every head of hair is so individual, you'll have to experiment to see what works for you.
HHG

Allandra

Bunning (along with other protective styles) has helped me retain length.

I get my hair flat ironed once a month. During that time I'll wear it down a few days or a week or so. However, once I wash my hair, it's back in a protective style (bun or other style). I love my buns. :giggle:

Lita

My hair is in P.S 95% of the time..At night I loosen my sides at night/so I dont experience thinning..I flat ion may-be 4x's a year...

Happy Hair Growing!

Prudent1

I found it helpful to bun during the workday and let my hair down as soon as I got home to avoid stress on the edges. I would wear it in a couple as braids for bedtime, covering it all with a silk scarf. I would also break from buns over the weekend. Buns are one of the best protective styles.
^^^ That's how I do too.
I live in my bun!! I wear a damp bun nearly every day! I dampen my hair at night with my aloe juice and veggie glycerin mix (sometimes I do this in the morning instead). I sleep with my hair in a loose pineapple and I bun in the morning. I smooth my edges with some gel, use a black satin scrunchie to hold my ponytail, and tie it down with a silk scarf for a few minutes. I don't pull them tight and I change the position periodically. I also don't comb my hair, but rarely I'll use a baby brush on the edges. Wearing my hair out daily would really hurt my retention. My reggie is very low manipulation and I like to keep my ends protected.

Every head of hair is so individual, you'll have to experiment to see what works for you.
HHG
^^^ I do this too. My bun is as loose as I can stand it w/o it actually looking sloppy. I do that to try to avoid unneeded stress where the ponytail holder is placed.

melissa-bee

Well I'm rocking buns at the moment cos it's the only thing I can rock without looking a fool. I've noticed I have been retaining length but my edges aren't doing to well.

Sweet_Ambrosia

Bunning has always worked well for my hair as a natural head and relaxed.
Bunning can work great as a protective style as long as you take the proper steps to avoid breakage (ie. don’t pull your hair back too tightly, dont keep it in the same position 24/7, keep your hair moisturized and be gentle)
I don’t bun as much as I used to, got bored…I’m wigging it now. :cool:

lovegymnasts

I do :wave:
I wear my hair up 90-ish% of the time. I have never had problems with my edges.
When my scalps starts to feel a little sore, I know to move the position or wear my twists down for a few days.
Also, I don't sleep with my hair in a bun or pulled back.

NaturalBoss

Yes, I retain length with consistent bunning. I co-wash and bun almost everyday, and when I don't co-wash, I still wet my hair. I haven't noticed any kind of breakage. I love the way braidouts and twistouts look but I don't use them as a PS because I don't really like my hair down everyday and I would have to do too much detangling.