Naturals Who Wear Two-Strand Twists...

davisbr88

I want to twist my hair up to wear under my wig and I would like it to possibly last about a week and a half. Should I do them wet or dry? Should I use a butter or gel? If you have worn your twists for over a week, have you had any problems with matting, damage, etc?
TIA!

ETA: Also, should I clarify before putting the twists in since I won't be washing for 2 weeks (if I can make it!)

kmn1980

Emoticons don't affect me
I do mine wet, no gel, no butter.

I am a twister from waaaay back, LOL! Never had a problem with matting nor damage but I do keep them moisturized. I only clarify every couple of months because I do so little to my hair and don't really use a lot of product.

davisbr88

^^ Wow. No butters or gels? How long do they usually last?
I'm new to the twisting thing so I'm trying to soak up every detail!

Nasdaq_Diva

If they are going to be worn under a wig the entire time anyway, I wouldn't use any products either. I wear my twists up to 2 weeks (under or no wig) at a time. The front of my hairline is the oddest texture, so they look rough after a few days regardless of product.

davisbr88

If they are going to be worn under a wig the entire time anyway, I wouldn't use any products either. I wear my twists up to 2 weeks (under or no wig) at a time. The front of my hairline is the oddest texture, so they look rough after a few days regardless of product.

Do you do them wet or dry? I wasn't asking about products so they would be well-kept, I just thought they wouldn't last 2 weeks without a product. I'm still learning! :grin:

kmn1980

Emoticons don't affect me
^^ Wow. No butters or gels? How long do they usually last?
I'm new to the twisting thing so I'm trying to soak up every detail!

Until I take them down, which is usually in the 10-12 days range.

ETA: I do use a thick and creamy leave-in though like Mane and Tail or Eluence.

Nasdaq_Diva

Do you do them wet or dry? I wasn't asking about products so they would be well-kept, I just thought they wouldn't last 2 weeks without a product. I'm still learning! :grin:
I never do them wet too much possibility of breakage. Usually they have been t-shirt dried for about 20min. So, by them they are damp yet dry. There are times I will just do them on dry hair too.

Mari-Cris

I do it on damp hair and I use a gel - Ampro Pro Styl (You only need to apply it on the roots or very minimally to the ends. Otherwise, it can get flaky). However, I think this Wednesday will be the last day I use this style. It only lasts two weeks with no washing.

I just started my LHJ a few days ago and I co-washed the other day and it is not looking too neat right now. To do my regimen properly, I need to co-wash a couple of times a week and wash and DC at least once a week.

I am not one for wearing wigs or weaves, so I have to give up that style. Trying to figure out what style to wear next. I don't want to relax...I might go with braids for the next couple of months.

I did these Saturday on dry hair that had been stretched..they last longer for me done on dry stretched hair ( I band to stretch) But, I do remoisturize and oil my ends and I used Shea Moisture curl smoothie to twist it's like really creamy butter... It did a good job of moisture, softness, and it looks smoother, fells stronger (i like this product if you can't tell:grin:) and the legnth of my hair hasn't needed remoisturizing yet.

You may not want to make them that small but I had a hard time last winter making my wig flat over my big chunky twist

Attachments

• 122547.jpg
    122547.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 122646.jpg
    122646.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 52

westNDNbeauty

Since you are wearing them under the wig, I don't think wet or dry twisting would make a diff. I Wear twists quite often and whether my hair is twisted wet or dry depends on the look I am going for

For you, I would suggest just finding and awesomely good moisturizer to help maintain the condition of your hair under the wig. Clarifying is not really necessary btw...unless your hair feel like there is too much product right now.

FebeeSigns

I do mine wet with either butter or creme. It lasts longer and doesnt get as fuzzy and frizzy as doing it on dry hair. Yes you should clarify before putting them in. I've had problems with tangles when wearing twists for that long. Shed hair are stuck in the twist-out hair and it is difficult to comb out.

Missjae09

I twist with shea butter that I have added aloe vera gel to. I will also apply a leave in conditioner. I prefer to twist my hair dry- It gives me a little more "hang time" on my already short tresses.

davisbr88

Thanks for all of the suggestions ladies!
I went ahead and clarified to get rid of the gel I had packed on my hair and then I twisted my hair wet with leave-in conditioner. So far, they're really cute little pigtail-looking things that I think will fit pretty easily under my wig since I have fine hair. But we'll see. Thanks again!

ActionActress

I do mine wet. I do not use gel. I use a leave-in and or conditioner for smoothness and some oil for sealing and that's it. It stays moisturized (inside and outside) the twist for days.

Wet twisting gives a more wet curly appearance. Make sure to twist little curly-Q's at the ends with a bit of oil- not much.

AA

aa9746

I want to twist my hair up to wear under my wig and I would like it to possibly last about a week and a half. Should I do them wet or dry? Should I use a butter or gel? If you have worn your twists for over a week, have you had any problems with matting, damage, etc?
TIA!

ETA: Also, should I clarify before putting the twists in since I won't be washing for 2 weeks (if I can make it!)

I used to wear twists under my wigs but after 2wks they would combine and get tangly when I washed, conditioned, etc. So now I wear cornrows or braids and keep them in for 4-9 wks.

Fine 4s

I do my twists wet but have done them on dry hair as well and when I do them wet, I use shea butter mostly. Right now, I have some big ol' fuzzy twists in and did not use any products, straight from the shower.

bludaydreamr

I twist on wet hair with Cantu Shea Butter leave-in and Shea Butter to seal. I have problems with tangles if I leave my twists in for more then 2 weeks and wash them without re-twisting.

Last edited: