Naturals...Why is My Natural Hair Not Growing???

Forever in Bloom

You may have been to this nappturality forum members website, but reading this particular section always keeps me from even thinking about going back to relaxers (I know now how to care for relaxed hair, but these are some things I did - made myself endure - when I had a relaxer). I would like to say first off that whatever you decide to do, you have a huge support group here, but since you're still on the fence... (can you hear my evil laughter?) :drunk: The following can be found here, but I posted it for kicks - hopefully not severe ones from relaxed heads in this thread :look:

http://www.roshini.net/signs_ouch.htm

This a painful, yet necessary section, called
Signs that we were killing our hair but we ignored
a.k.a. What we don't miss...

~ excerpts from a thread on the nappturality.com archive forum

Ouch!
Yuck!
Where is my hair?!
Huh?Ouch! that hurts!!!!!!
not scratching my scalp, a week prior to a chemical service for fear of burning
not brushing my hair a few days before getting a perm because it would burn more
giving the stylist explicit instructions to start the perm in the front because the back burns first
enduring burning and scabs because I thought becoming beautiful hurt sometimes
letting the perm burn as loooong as possible to get it straight.
picking scabs from your scalp the day after relaxing
ripping out tracks that were glued in only to discover I had ripped out my own hair
literally having tears running down my face while sitting in the hairdresser chair (or wherever) while I had to wait for the relaxer to "take" and thinking "these people in here really have no idea what kind of pain I am in"
I remember having a scalp burn so badly after a relaxer that I couldn't wear a hat. And it was mid-winter so my head burned and froze at the same time.
sleeping with a hand under my arm to protect my style
knockin' yourself up the head because u don't want 2 itch because u know you're getting a perm
Does anybody remember having to hold their ears while they got their hair pressed?
another sign was scabbing so bad post-perm that my hair would stick onto my scalp and it would be painful to even pull it off I should have KNOWN that wasn't healthy
the smell of singed hair and my mama saying "That's just the heat, baby!"
hearing the curling iron sizzle and smoke as I ran it to the end to get the straight look
fingering the dark black protrusions on my head after every touch-up and actually believing that the fusion of hair & scalp together was normal. *Doesn't everyone get scalp burns that take 5 weeks to heal?*
not being able to comb my hair in a certain style because the hair needed for the updo was chillin' in a scalp burn
having a scalp burnt so bad that the wind blowing on my head HURT
not being able to sleep because my scalp hurt
after all the burning an squirming in the chair with the relaxer, and then more burning when they washed it out and rubbed the spot where it was burning, and then the combing of the funky conditioner stuff and itting the burned spot once again ... the final touch was ... *drum roll* ... spraying the spritz or holding spray on it to 'set' the style and it caused that kind of piercing pain that makes a tear appear instantly in your eyes. LOL I can laugh now but, I darn sure wasn't laughin' then...
I remember as a kid crying so badly because the relaxer burned my scalp. And then after it was done being told not to sweat or get my hair wet. For crying out loud I was 9 years old and wanted to go swimming!! (sigh)
head stuck flat to my head a week and being afraid to pull it up because it would break off since it was tangled up in dry scabs
I remember them days and you would be all squirming in the chair and you would be too scared to tell the hairdresser that it was burning!!
My co-worker just got a "touch-up". Each and every time she gets a relaxer her forehead breaks out....it like the top half of her forehead gets "raw", and it takes about 2 weeks for it to heal. She actually has a line dividing the top part of her forehead (the raw part), and the bottom unaffected part. It looks really weird. She complains, but she faithfully goes back every 6 weeks for a touch-up. The last time she went she got bangs cut to cover the part that broke out.
hair so hot it not only smokes, it leaves burns on your fingers from touching it
not being able to comb or brush my hair to close to the scalp for at least a week
sleeping on magnetic roller and waking up with a sore head because they hurt like crazy
My experience: I let this girl put a relaxer in my hair during college. It burned so badly that I ended up running to the tub and washing it out...like in the Malcolm X movie
. I had a burn going from the middle of my head onto my forehead!!!! First it was pink and raw...then the juices came
. Then I had this embarassing scab on my forehead and back into my hair. My hair was soo straight that it wouldn't hold a curl and just hung there. Guess what: I just attributed it to the type of relaxer I used

Lessons Learned: I've learned 'no pain no vain' is a load of crap. I've learned that a chemical burn on my head is just as bad as a chemical burn on my arm
. I've learned that the chemicals used in relaxers are the same as those used in drain cleaners and hair removers
. I've learned that a scab is a scab and a burn is a burn
. Lastly I've learned that wisdom really is the principle thing.

ScandalousBeauty

Wow, that brought back some bad memories :perplexed...thanks for the reminders!

You may have been to this nappturality forum members website, but reading this particular section always keeps me from even thinking about going back to relaxers (I know now how to care for relaxed hair, but these are some things I did - made myself endure - when I had a relaxer). I would like to say first off that whatever you decide to do, you have a huge support group here, but since you're still on the fence... (can you hear my evil laughter?) :drunk: The following can be found here, but I posted it for kicks - hopefully not severe ones from relaxed heads in this thread :look:

Ouch!
Yuck!
Where is my hair?!
not brushing my hair a few days before getting a perm because it would burn more
giving the stylist explicit instructions to start the perm in the front because the back burns first
ripping out tracks that were glued in only to discover I had ripped out my own hair
literally having tears running down my face while sitting in the hairdresser chair (or wherever) while I had to wait for the relaxer to "take" and thinking "these people in here really have no idea what kind of pain I am in"
I remember having a scalp burn so badly after a relaxer that I couldn't wear a hat. And it was mid-winter so my head burned and froze at the same time.
knockin' yourself up the head because u don't want 2 itch because u know you're getting a perm
Does anybody remember having to hold their ears while they got their hair pressed?
another sign was scabbing so bad post-perm that my hair would stick onto my scalp and it would be painful to even pull it off I should have KNOWN that wasn't healthy
hearing the curling iron sizzle and smoke as I ran it to the end to get the straight look
fingering the dark black protrusions on my head after every touch-up and actually believing that the fusion of hair & scalp together was normal. *Doesn't everyone get scalp burns that take 5 weeks to heal?*
not being able to comb my hair in a certain style because the hair needed for the updo was chillin' in a scalp burn
after all the burning an squirming in the chair with the relaxer, and then more burning when they washed it out and rubbed the spot where it was burning, and then the combing of the funky conditioner stuff and itting the burned spot once again ... the final touch was ... *drum roll* ... spraying the spritz or holding spray on it to 'set' the style and it caused that kind of piercing pain that makes a tear appear instantly in your eyes. LOL I can laugh now but, I darn sure wasn't laughin' then...
I remember as a kid crying so badly because the relaxer burned my scalp. And then after it was done being told not to sweat or get my hair wet. For crying out loud I was 9 years old and wanted to go swimming!! (sigh)
head stuck flat to my head a week and being afraid to pull it up because it would break off since it was tangled up in dry scabs
I remember them days and you would be all squirming in the chair and you would be too scared to tell the hairdresser that it was burning!!
My co-worker just got a "touch-up". Each and every time she gets a relaxer her forehead breaks out....it like the top half of her forehead gets "raw", and it takes about 2 weeks for it to heal. She actually has a line dividing the top part of her forehead (the raw part), and the bottom unaffected part. It looks really weird. She complains, but she faithfully goes back every 6 weeks for a touch-up. The last time she went she got bangs cut to cover the part that broke out.
hair so hot it not only smokes, it leaves burns on your fingers from touching it
not being able to comb or brush my hair to close to the scalp for at least a week
sleeping on magnetic roller and waking up with a sore head because they hurt like crazy
My experience: I let this girl put a relaxer in my hair during college. It burned so badly that I ended up running to the tub and washing it out...like in the Malcolm X movie
. I had a burn going from the middle of my head onto my forehead!!!! First it was pink and raw...then the juices came
. Then I had this embarassing scab on my forehead and back into my hair. My hair was soo straight that it wouldn't hold a curl and just hung there. Guess what: I just attributed it to the type of relaxer I used

Lessons Learned: I've learned 'no pain no vain' is a load of crap. I've learned that a chemical burn on my head is just as bad as a chemical burn on my arm
. I've learned that the chemicals used in relaxers are the same as those used in drain cleaners and hair removers

DSTCrimsonBeauty

I think its crucial to wear protective styles like twists, braids, etc. Keeping the hair out in a puff leaves your ends susceptible to a lot of dryness and damage. It may be an issue of keeping your ends protected and moisturized. I usually wear my hair in two strand twists for a week or so and moisturize daily with coconut oil (paying close attention to the ends). I also use Kinky Curly Knot Today when i detangle-it works through my knots so well!
I noticed when I wore more protective styles and stayed away from leaving my hair out or detangling daily, my hair responded well.
I hope this helps! Stay optimistic!:woohoo:

Kranbery

Ouch!
Yuck!
Where is my hair?!

Wow, what a list:blush: You know, when I was experiencing this stuff, I didn't think anything of it either. Where was my head?

luckiestdestiny

Re: Naturals...I'm Pissed!! Why the F is My Natural Hair Not Growing???

Aww...there, there! What's your regimen? When I wore my hair out (high school days) I had a TWA about 3-4 inches long that would never grow. The only way I've been able to grow my hair is in braids...or when I had a jheri curl. Seems for me, little manipulation is key to retaining length. I'm sure your hair's growing, but perhaps retention is the problem? Could you rock cornrows or braids comfortably for a spell?
When my hair was shorter, I rocked braids to get it past the shoulder. Funny, I did this instinctively. I didn't know about lhcf back then, but that's what I did. I always revert back when I want to see more length quicker (I'm a natural btw)

luckiestdestiny

Hey Erin! :wave:

I didn't see any real moisturizing in your regimen. I know you condition wash, but you didn't say what you do to maintain the moisture in your hair. I was reading, looking for info about this. Co sign. Moisture is a HUGE part of retaining IMO.Furthermore, you seem to be wearing your hair out a lot... making it more prone to drying out. !!!!!!!I used to do the "natural" thing... I BCed twice, to say the least. Also, the fact that you colored your hair is also sending alarms that those damaged bit will have to be chopped off before any length can be retained. Now, if you want to relax and you'd like a different style, then go right ahead... you answer to YOURSELF and no one else. Whatever the look, I'm sure it'll be beautiful... I've known you as a relaxed head and a natural....

aa9746

I think its crucial to wear protective styles like twists, braids, etc. Keeping the hair out in a puff leaves your ends susceptible to a lot of dryness and damage. It may be an issue of keeping your ends protected and moisturized. I usually wear my hair in two strand twists for a week or so and moisturize daily with coconut oil (paying close attention to the ends). I also use Kinky Curly Knot Today when i detangle-it works through my knots so well!
I noticed when I wore more protective styles and stayed away from leaving my hair out or detangling daily, my hair responded well.
I hope this helps! Stay optimistic!:woohoo:

Very very true for me. My hair did not grow to my shoulder and beyond until I did this. I'm hoping I can get to bsl now.

chebaby

is scandalousbeauty still around. i love her youtube videos.

anyway i wore my twa out all summer long and now im wearing tiwsts and cornrows during the winter. i moisturize my hair twice a day and my hair is growing nicely. i deep condition often, use shea butter and concentrated moistruizer and everytime i shampoo i make use i condition and use a great leave in.

JollyGal

OP don't worry. Your hair will grow.

I agree with nonie. Try a different protective style. Maybe keeping your hair up is not working for you. As for keeping your hair out all the time, maybe the pollutants in the air and the elements are messing with your retention.

I will also say make sure you eat healthy and drink lots of water. It's cliche but long hair starts from the inside out.

All the best and don't give up

detroitdiva

Hey Scandalous! I was having the same problem but I tapped into some things that helped give my hair growth a boost. I truly started from the inside out. Vitamins, water, and all the right grains. (Blah, blah blah..right??)
I also started to pay close attention to the products I was using too. I am a 4b/c like yourself and we really need a lot more moisture than our other natural sisters! Our hair shrinkage is twice as much because we have supa kinky hair. Also, challenge yourself and try a protective hairstyle such as braids for 100 days or more. It really works and your hair will love you for it! I wish u the best diva!

Last edited: