Naturals...Why is My Natural Hair Not Growing???

bravenewgirl87

Re: Naturals...I'm Pissed!! Why the F is My Natural Hair Not Growing???

LilChocolateMa: I love ya! I really do! You were my first ally when I started HMS.

But... you totally just turned me off from going natural!

I feel ya tho. Its hard out there for a hair pimp.

TCatt86

Thank you all for your advice!! I am feeling very selfish because I feel that everything points to being relaxed...maybe texlaxed? It's mind over matter, and I am STRUGGLING! I want to wear my sleek styles again without using heat, I want to see my growth, blah blah blah. I feel like I've been patient since my last relaxer the summer of 2006...and since this head doesn't reflect what I believe 2 years worth of natural hair should be, I think it's time to roll out. Who knows, maybe I will be natural again someday. Knowing me, I probably will.

Do you honestly know why I haven't relaxed yet?? I don't want to disappoint people!! And that is DEFINITELY the wrong way to go. I don't have amazing hair or anything like that, but people constantly ask me for advice and things like that. I guess b/c I have put myself out there (blog, youtube, etc), so they have a bond with me and my hair.

...But I don't have the money to get a relaxer at my salon and I am DAMN sure not doing it myself...so no rash decisions anytime soon. My parents are pretty sick of my natural hair (the have never really liked it on me :ohwell:) and they offered to pay for my relaxer and style for the last two years! I don't want to take their money though, so I passed.

You should do whatever is best for your hair and what is best for the styles you want to have. I understand that people look up to you, but in the end if length retention is what you want and you feel relaxing it is the best way to do it then do it. From what I've gathered from you, you never liked naturals styles that much, have you tried braids though or rollersets, like a flexirod set. Whatever you choose to do goodluck, you'll be beautiful regardless of what you do.

natstar

LilChocolateMa- I know exactly how you feel. Do what you feel is good for you. Also- we are in the same boat in terms of feeling as though progress is not happening. I decided that I would retrace my steps and rediscover what steps I took when my hair was growing & healthy.

Also-as much as I love this board, sometimes seeing other ppls fast growth & thickness then looking at my hair gets me upset. That's why I now have to tak a step back, be patient and look @ what's working and what might not be. So as hard as it is to do-just focus on what's good for you. I wish u all the best

ETA- You won't disappoint regardless of what you do. DO YOU.

lana

I think it's the color. Even though you dyed over the light color, the damage is still there. My sister had the exact same problem, she used to also dye her hair and it never seemed to grow. Once she grew and trimmed all the color out, her hair started retaining more.

So you might want to trim off the ends that were dyed the lighter color.

I have to agree with this. When did you get the color? When I dyed my natural hair thinking it could handle dye - uh uh - my hair got shorter, thinner and broke all year long. The only time it started to recover was when I cut all the dye out! You have to let all that dye go. I'm not sure why it matters since hair is "dead" and then ends shouldn't stop new growth but it certainly stopped retention and my hair just grew and broke, grew and broke...on and on.

I suggest a major cut to get all the dyed hair out. And then see where you are in a few months.

hothair

I don't know what to advise, but I hope you get the problem figured out. Do you wear protective styles at all? I was having the same problem as a natural, then I relaxed and started retaining length again, ironically.

what she said:look::yep: I texlaxed and i'm coloured and back in protective full weave till December seems to be working

The Savvy Sistah

Thank you all for your advice!! I am feeling very selfish because I feel that everything points to being relaxed...maybe texlaxed? It's mind over matter, and I am STRUGGLING! I want to wear my sleek styles again without using heat, I want to see my growth, blah blah blah. I feel like I've been patient since my last relaxer the summer of 2006...and since this head doesn't reflect what I believe 2 years worth of natural hair should be, I think it's time to roll out. Who knows, maybe I will be natural again someday. Knowing me, I probably will.

Do you honestly know why I haven't relaxed yet?? I don't want to disappoint people!! And that is DEFINITELY the wrong way to go. I don't have amazing hair or anything like that, but people constantly ask me for advice and things like that. I guess b/c I have put myself out there (blog, youtube, etc), so they have a bond with me and my hair.

...But I don't have the money to get a relaxer at my salon and I am DAMN sure not doing it myself...so no rash decisions anytime soon. My parents are pretty sick of my natural hair (the have never really liked it on me :ohwell:) and they offered to pay for my relaxer and style for the last two years! I don't want to take their money though, so I passed.

Hey there,

Be encouraged! I was going through the same thing too and one of the main reasons was the hair color and my regimen. So when I go to the salon at the end of this month she's taking my last inch off and that will be a little over 5 inches of colored ends I have cut in under two years. (so I lost a year of progress) But I decided to redo my regimen and just keep it simple. I had to eliminate co-washing daily, baggying , going without trims not using heat ,too many products and NO MORE COlOR.

You have been an inspiration to many naturals on this forum (including me). And I don't feel like you would be disappointing anyone if you did something different to your hair. The goal is healthy hair, regardless of how you accomplish it. Your honesty is going to always keep people interested in what you have to say. So whatever you choose go for it!

ScandalousBeauty

Wow, just read all of your responses.

Savvy and Lana-I see your point hon. But damnit, this new color (black) is all over my head!!! :wallbash: Thanks so much for your kind words.

Hothair-Definitely considering this.

Natstar-Wow, you just preached that one. That is exactly how I feel! I notice the progress pics, and they will have 2 or 3 more inches of hangtime on their twists, while mine STILL look the same after two years!! So encouraging and discouraging at the same time.

Bravenewgirl: Just what I was afraid of! That's why I didn't want to open my mouth...but I had to be honest. I don't want to discourage anyone, because most naturals don't have the results that I do! I don't regret going natural at all, because I always would have had the "What if's"!!

bravenewgirl87

Bravenewgirl: Just what I was afraid of! That's why I didn't want to open my mouth...but I had to be honest. I don't want to discourage anyone, because most naturals don't have the results that I do! I don't regret going natural at all, because I always would have had the "What if's"!!

Its alright.:grin: Don't worry about it.

Hey, it aint so easy on the other side.:rolleyes:

plastic

Hun , do what is best for you. When i was natural ...i went from a twa to a ba in about 7 months. I just wet my hair everyday and put VO5 on the ends ... i combed it probably once every two months .. (and yes it was a bit tangly but nothing conditioner couldn't help with)... I wore it in a puff everyday but what I used was a stocking ( either the part that sits on your waist) or i would cut off part of the leg and tie it in a bow...and that's it. It grew really quickly .. oh and my hair was brownish / bit of blonde in it

KrimsonKween

Hey just wanted to chime in. I agree with natstar. I had to step back and realize that my hair is my hair and different in growth patterns and so forth. I also had to take a step back from lchf. For me when you stalk everyday all day and keep lchf up mimized to make sure nothing else come and u don't miss anything. Well that crazy girl was me:grin:. From december until May I keep lchf minimized at work all day and when I got home I went straight to it to see what I had missed between the drive:lachen:. I was a hot mess. I was measuring every day and then would see what the long hairs were using.

So from a lchf nut (not saying u did this because I know I am the only crazy:lachen:) Take a break from measuring, looking dreaming about growth and then waking up and seeing you were the same length as when you laid down but u swore that you would be waist lenght in the moring :lachen::lachen:) Just step back and relax. Someone said a watched pot bowls slow.

TCatt86

Its alright.:grin: Don't worry about it.

Hey, it aint so easy on the other side.:rolleyes:

The grass is always greener. Now that I'm natural I look at all the beautiful relaxed heads and I want to relax, but when I was relaxed I would look at naturals and want to go natural. Right now I'm having a tough time, because I want to wear my hair straight, but I'm afraid of heat damage and it's too humid. I'm just enjoying the process right now though.

JustKiya

*sigh*

I hate to tell you this, but dimes to doughnuts - I'd bet it's the color. Just because you dyed over the lighter color, the damage from it is still under there - whether you can see it or not. And if you are wearing your hair 'free' - girl, you aren't retaining, simple as that.

Also, hair DOES go through cycles of growth, and there WILL be periods of time when your hair doesn't seem to be doing much at all - so keep that in mind, too..... but really, I'd suspect that your ends are giving up the ghost, and that's why you haven't seen any extra length.

I really don't think that relaxing it (layering more chems over it) is going to help you retain what you are growing - but if that's what you wanna do - go head!

BirdieGray

Girl, I feel your pain! I'm thinking about texlaxing because I love my texture and want to keep it, but I have been experincing a whole lot of breakage from tangles. Also I want to be able to wear my hair straight some time and my natural hair ALWAYS reverts 2 seconds after I straigthen it. In the end you are the only one who has to deal with your hair, so the ultimate decision is up to you. :yep: Good luck on whatever you decide to do! :grin:

gmw

I agree with everyone else. However, I will say low to no manipulation is your key to growth.

I have a good comparison. My mother did the BC in late 2004, and she is already BSL stretched as a natural.

I cut my hair 6mos later iin June 2005, and I am just reaching SL strecthed.

The one thing I can tell you that my mother does different than me is she goes long periods of time without combing her hair. She wears it in a puff most of the time. Or big twists over night, to get a slightly differently looking puff in the morning.... Then she just puts a little grease (yes you read right) on it with some water in the morning... and pulls it back into a puff. She wears scarves, bands, and whatever else for her puffs.

Now me on the other hand, I have been trying many different things, daily co-washing... co-washing every 2-3 days, etc... And I use top grade products, try to stay away from cones, and I am still only SL.

The one that made a big difference in my hair was, box braids over the winter. My hair grew noticably to SL :yep:. Key here is that I wasn't manipulating my hair, except when I took down the braids to refresh them.

Low to no manipulation is key. I know this is challenging when it comes to styling... but not really, you just have to get around it.

luv04

Cheer Up..Im a fellow natural here..and i use biotin it has helped with protective styling..I know you have gotten a lot of response. But i hope that everything works out for you!!:) I know you will make a good decision no matter what!! :) Happy hair growing whether you are natural or relaxed :)

CenteredGirl

I think you need to flat iron your hair before you yell uncle. I'm sure you've made progress.

By the way, your hair looks much healthier now sis.

LaPetiteCoquette

I wish you luck in whatever you decide. I transitioned for a year without major cuts and my hair looked the same as it did the year before. In 12 months it was the same length just about. The biggest shocker was my nape. It didn't budge (it's been the same length for years). So the lack of chemicals did not help my hair at all. Not in the least bit.

I washed and DC-ed my hair weekly, moisturized twice daily, wore my hair in buns first, then cornrowed (sp?) under a wig. I took supplements, I drank water, I treated my hair like fine silk, and I eat healthier than 95% of people I know (generally speaking -- not just for hair growth). In short, I did everything I was supposed to do. It just did not grow quickly at all. I am like you -- I was transitioning to natural primarily to get my highest potential growth and thickness. And I just was not seeing what I wanted to see. So I went back to relaxers (and the person who did it also gave me a big chop so I have much less hair then when I started - it was so short I was crying as I left the shop). I don't relax nearly as much, or as long, I use high quality (Phyto), and transitioning helped me be patient with my hair and learn what my hair needs. Now, I am on a new journey to grow back a healthy head of relaxed hair and I know it can be done.

I just wanted to chime in, because on your video you said you rarely hear natural stories such as your own, so I just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I am not saying you should go back to relaxers, because I really hate them, but I am just giving you my story and perspective.

Last edited:

Country gal

I feel I had more success when I was sporting twists in my hair. I plan on going back to twisting again to help me get over my APL slump.

Zawaj

You've gotten really good responses thus far but I'll co-sign and chime in:

• How about a braided style or weave to get you over the growth slump.
  • Try a multi-vitamin/prenatal
  • Drink as much water as you can
  • Protein
  • Nightly scalp massage
I have been on again off again natural for the past 7 or so years. When I keep my hair braided and cut down on all the commercial products it grows like a weed. I just keep it simple with Aveda poo/condish and use natural oils like coconut and olive oil. I will be braided and possible transitioning (again LOL) for the next year at least.

Off Topic: I love your youtube makeup videos. Your eyeshadow combo, bangin out the crease, and keep it real attitude has made me a subscriber.

hopeful

First of all I just wanted to give you a big ((((hug)))). I completely feel you and understand what you are going through. I'm glad you are speaking out and being so honest about your feelings. There is nothing selfish about trying to be happy and making changes to YOUR hair and asking for advice. When people say they are transitioning or they just bc'd everyone is like whoo hoo congrats (which is great) but folks feel worried about announcing "I'm relaxed again!" for fear of ridicule and/or letting people down. That is not fair. All of us, relaxed or natural, are growing and learning and trying to figure out what is best for us. Focus on you and your happiness.

Last edited:

bravenewgirl87

The grass is always greener. Now that I'm natural I look at all the beautiful relaxed heads and I want to relax, but when I was relaxed I would look at naturals and want to go natural. Right now I'm having a tough time, because I want to wear my hair straight, but I'm afraid of heat damage and it's too humid. I'm just enjoying the process right now though.

you just killed my natural dreams:perplexed

I'm calling my stylist for a touch-up.:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Artemis

There is nothing selfish about trying to be happy and making changes to YOUR hair and asking for advice. When people say they are transitioning or they just bc'd everyone is like whoo hoo congrats (which is great) but folks feel worried about announcing "I'm relaxed again!" for fear of ridicule and/or letting people down. That is not fair. All of us, relaxed or natural, are growing and learning and trying to figure out what is best for us. Focus on you and your happiness.

Huge co-sign! :yep:

TCatt86

you just killed my natural dreams:perplexed

I'm calling my stylist for a touch-up.:lachen::lachen::lachen:

:lachen::lachen: LilChocolateMa put the knife in and I turned it, huh? :lachen:

I miss my relaxed hair after seeing so many people with nice relaxed hair. I was looking at pics of my hair before I started transitioning and it was nice looking so that made it worse. Don't get me wrong I like my natural hair now, but sometimes I want to go back. But like I said I'm enjoying the process, it's fun just this weeked we went to the beach and I was the only one that did have to worry about what I was going to do with my hair after we swam, I just washed it and went.

AJamericanDiva

Hey Erin! :wave:

I didn't see any real moisturizing in your regimen. I know you condition wash, but you didn't say what you do to maintain the moisture in your hair. Furthermore, you seem to be wearing your hair out a lot... making it more prone to drying out. I used to do the "natural" thing... I BCed twice, to say the least. Also, the fact that you colored your hair is also sending alarms that those damaged bit will have to be chopped off before any length can be retained. Now, if you want to relax and you'd like a different style, then go right ahead... you answer to YOURSELF and no one else. Whatever the look, I'm sure it'll be beautiful... I've known you as a relaxed head and a natural....

morehairplease

hey sweetie,

everyone has given you some great advice. I am in the same boat as you now so I now what you are going through. Whatever you choose to do I know I wish you hhg. I plan on relaxing in December, if not sooner, and now know after big chopping over 3 times that being natural is just not for me right now. I keep saying to myself, "it's only hair, right!?!?" But I know it is a lot more than that.

Blaque*Angel

Awwww ((hugs))

IMHO your hair looks more healthier natural, as the ladies suggested please do protective styling, put it in braids for 10 weeks.

bluediamond0829

Hey just chiming in dont feel bad. My hair has been slow with growth and i believe im fully natural now with no relaxed ends. But my hair just doesnt seem like it has grown at all.

Ive read all the responses from the ladies and maybe i do manipulate my hair way too much. And I'm also considering the braiding it up idea also. I know i get better growth with braids than weaves at times.

So im sure you will find something that will work for you maybe it is the color and the manipulation.

I liked when someone said that if u back off of being on LHCF then all the ideas wont be coming up. I try to now stay away from the hair thread as much as possible.