Naturals with Splint Ends, any out there?

kaykaybobay

I need help, I have split ends , some strands have multiple splits, I have knots at the ends of some strands, I've tried baggying does nothing cept make a mess for me, I dont manipulate my hair much, at least I dont think so, I dont know how to solve the problem.

basketballbabe03

When I first BCed, I had ALOT of problems with split ends. I kept getting them even after I trimmed. I had to re-evaluate what I was doing. A couple of factors was the way I combed my hair, the type of comb I used and how much heat I was using. I started only combing my hair with a large tooth comb and only combing when I had conditioner in my hair. I started to realize that the way I was combing my hair was bad because I was just raking it through my hair. When I started combing it the proper way, I didn't lose as much hair and I got less split ends. I also cut out using heat such as a hair dryer. When I started being nice to my hair, it was nice to me, lol. Just be aware of what you do to your hair on a daily basis. Oh, and baggying didn't work for me. Everytime I would baggy, my ends would be a mess and would seem over moisturized. Guess it's not for everybody.

Last edited:

kaykaybobay

Thank you for the pointers :) I'm gonna experiment with just comming in the shower with conditioner, I usually twist my hair after I wash it, thinking I will skip the combing once out of the shower for now.

morehairplease

natural with split ends checking in. my salon appt. is for tommorrow at 10 and hopefully it will be the last of the split ends for me.

ClassicBeauty

That's the reason I transitioned instead of BCing. When I got a cut/trim, it was relaxed ends instead of my new natural hair. I think it helped my natural hair retain length. By the time I cut the relaxed ends, I was totally careful with the new ends, and my hair was long enough to put it in a bun/ponytail.

ToyToy

Also checking in!!
I have loads of split ends, and I keep trimming them but they don't seem to go away! :nono:

honeybadgirl

When I first BCed, I had ALOT of problems with split ends. I kept getting them even after I trimmed. I had to re-evaluate what I was doing. A couple of factors was the way I combed my hair, the type of comb I used and how much heat I was using. I started only combing my hair with a large tooth comb and only combing when I had conditioner in my hair. I started to realize that the way I was combing my hair was bad because I was just raking it through my hair. When I started combing it the proper way, I didn't lose as much hair and I got less split ends. I also cut out using heat such as a hair dryer. When I started being nice to my hair, it was nice to me, lol. Just be aware of what you do to your hair on a daily basis. Oh, and baggying didn't work for me. Everytime I would baggy, my ends would be a mess and would seem over moisturized. Guess it's not for everybody.

same for me!!! thats how i REALLY messed up my hair!!!

SunnyDelight

That's the reason I transitioned instead of BCing. When I got a cut/trim, it was relaxed ends instead of my new natural hair. I think it helped my natural hair retain length. By the time I cut the relaxed ends, I was totally careful with the new ends, and my hair was long enough to put it in a bun/ponytail.

Same here - this time around. I did the "BC" when I was natural before and I had splits galore - just like you've mentioned - some strands had more than one split. I didn't know anything about moisture and how important that is for hair - especially the ends.

I would suggest a good trim first, then really concentrate on your ends. Keep them protected and moisturized. They are the most fragile part of your hair. If they aren't splitting, they are breaking.

velvet

Yep, especially knots. I just accept them and ignore them. I've learned not to trim until after I get past the length that I want. I think knotting is just a part of hair super curly hair.

Then again maybe those who wear protective styles all the time don't have this problem . . .

jaiku

I need help, I have split ends , some strands have multiple splits, I have knots at the ends of some strands, I've tried baggying does nothing cept make a mess for me, I dont manipulate my hair much, at least I dont think so, I dont know how to solve the problem.

I think the best way to prevent this is to wear your hair in straighter styles or stretched. I have been natural for 12 years and I still have this problem. I think its the reason I can't get past APL. Every place there is a kink or curve on the hair strand tends to be a weak spot.