BKT Pros and Cons??

Dak

I don't know if you're natural if you bkt. You are changing your hair structure no matter if it's temporary with a chemical.
Aegis, that's a really slippery slope, since when do you really draw the line? What if you color? Or use wash off chemicals to protect against the elements? And who really cares how someone defines natural?

sheba1

I don't know if you're natural if you bkt. You are changing your hair structure no matter if it's temporary with a chemical.

Sure, same as if you straighten with a flat iron. If you flat iron are you're still natural?

Ediese

i just had a randomly wicked good idea, if I do say so myself... :grin:
Ediese, you're planning to go back into another weave after this one, right?? why not try BKT'ing just the hair that you're going to leave out, and see how that works out for you??? :yep:

Yup that's what I'm planning to do. :yep:

Why do you think you're having a problem with split ends? I know I tend to get them when I don't deep condition my hair, am rough with detangling and or use too much heat. The best solution for split ends is to have them professionally cut off, IMO. I know it's hard, the first time I did it I lost almost 4 inches of growth, but once they were gone, it gave me a chance to have healthy thick ends that I could then just work to maintain, rather than treat.

I think the advice to do a spot BK treatment is a good idea. Be prepared to buy all new products, as most normal shampoos have sulfates in them. Rusk Keratin Treatment is a fantastic conditioner. I'd recommend a good heat protectant for flat ironing, I still like Sabino's Moisture Block. And to continue to baby your ends with oils (coconut based oils like Vatika or just pure coconut oil) are good moisturizers. :yep:

I really wish I could answer that. I thought I'd be okay after all the splits were removed earlier this year, but I guess not. They're right back. I seldomly use heat. I wet bun most times when I'm not braided up. I wish I knew what causes this. You can tell some of my strands are damaged even the ones that aren't split. It's really rough looking. I think even when I get them cut they'll come back because I can't figure out what's causing them. I think one problem is when I search and destroy I'm not using a good pair of scissors, but I don't think that could be the only issue.

I'm thinking that if the strand test works well I'll be able to gradually eliminate my damage with BKT. I know it's not a miracle worker, and it only 'conceals' damage temporarily. Damage is damage. The only way to improve it will be to get rid of it. My plan of action will be to use BKT to help make my hair more manageable, and trim until I get rid of all the damage a la Brittney from Youtube.

Thanks for your post!!:yep:

Last edited:

sheba1

I really wish I could answer that. I thought I'd be okay after all the splits were removed earlier this year, but I guess not. They're right back. I seldomly use heat. I wet bun most times when I'm not braided up. I wish I knew what causes this. You can tell some of my strands are damaged even the ones that aren't split. It's really rough looking. I think even when I get them cut they'll come back because I can't figure out what's causing them. I think one problem is when I search and destroy I'm not using a good pair of scissors, but I don't think that could be the only issue.

Ediese, this is a major problem. Every time you cut a hair with scissors that are not sharp hair shears, you are virtually ensuring a split on the end you cut.

Ediese

Ediese, this is a major problem. Every time you cut a hair with scissors that are not sharp hair shears, you are virtually ensuring a split on the end you cut.

Yea I didn't know it was that big of a deal until someone told me about it on here. I've been using that blasted scissors to cut everything from weed to toenails. :nono::look::grin: Don't even talk about me literally ripping through my single strand knots to get rid of them. :wallbash: Just frustrated.

sheba1

Yea I didn't know it was that big of a deal until someone told me about it on here. I've been using that blasted scissors to cut everything from weed to toenails. :nono::look::grin: Don't even talk about me literally ripping through my single strand knots to get rid of them. :wallbash: Just frustrated.

Awwww :bighug: and knowing is half the battle... there there, it'll be ok.

aegis

Oh I truly don't care how someone chooses to define their hair not at all. Plastic asked a question, Sheba offered her definition and I offered mine. I thought we were discussing. Anyways Sheba I said that someone who is using a chemical to straighten their hair not a flat iron. Thermal conditioning of the hair is different than chemical conditioning jmo.

I am natural and I have bkt. I don't really consider myself natural. I just gave nappy looking hair lol.

Ediese

CONS:

Based on my experience, I would not recommend it to anyone with damaged hair. Why? Well, because it coats the hair, it appears that the coating blocks out the moisture that damaged hair needs for reconditioning. Also, if you are starting at a damaged point, your hair is stretched to its maximum with the extensive heat process, reducing the elasticity that your hair probably did not have to begin with -- thus keeping it a stretched dry state and prone to breakage. I think of it as trapping the condition of your hair for 3-4 months.

Now, it may appear initially that damaged hair responds to the product well because it *temporarily* fills all of the surface damage to your hair shaft/cuticle with keratin creating the "illusion" of the healthiest hair ever invented.

PROS:

If your hair is healthy at application, its a great aid to stretching relaxers, and creates ease in managing hair. It also protects that hair from heat (due to coating; each time you use heat, the keratin seals hair further), friction, etc, and is stronger (due to the keratin coating). If your hair is healthy, it will do less filling of keratin (because your cuticle is not in a damages state) and act as a coating. I think of it as preserving your hair.

QUESTION:

How effective are our deep treatments on BKTed hair? -- I'd love to get an expert answer.

SUGGESTION:
Get your hair in tip top healty shape prior to application and it will be a win/win situation.

Absolutely wonderful post!!! Thank you!:yep::yep:

Natural Glow

Not toenails :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Dak

Oh I truly don't care how someone chooses to define their hair not at all. Plastic asked a question, Sheba offered her definition and I offered mine. I thought we were discussing. Anyways Sheba I said that someone who is using a chemical to straighten their hair not a flat iron. Thermal conditioning of the hair is different than chemical conditioning jmo.

I am natural and I have bkt. I don't really consider myself natural. I just gave nappy looking hair lol.

Aegis, I should have used emoticons when I commented, I hope I didn't sound rude about it. I missed Plastic's question. :eek: Of course you can answer any way you choose. There have just been some really snarly natural or not discussions in the past, and they really don't go anyplace. :nono:

Dak

Ediese, before I started with BKT I had breakage along the center back of my hair, I couldn't figure it out. Turns out, when my neck would sweat when I worked out, the hair along the back would get frizzy, then when I would go to untangle, it would break it off. Since my sides were fine, it took me a while to figure it out.

Since I'm been using the BKT, no frizziness when I sweat, (at least not to the point of making it hard to detangle) so no more breakage. :D

LOL at your "weed" comment. :look:

Last edited:

yodie

Hi Ediese,

A test area is the best way to tell on your hair. My hair wasn't that healthy pre-BKT. I had alot of splits like you mentioned. I think BKT was too much on top of what I already had going on. My strands are already thin and BKT made the damaged hair very straight. Even now I'm glad that I didn't BKT my entire head.

Things I loved - hair was frizz free. That was a HUGE plus. I also have to add that my hair doesn't like relaxers, chemicals, etc.
Try it and let us know. By the way, your hair is gorgeous.

Ediese

Ediese, before I started with BKT I had breakage along the center back of my hair, I couldn't figure it out. Turns out, when my neck would sweat when I worked out, the hair along the back would get frizzy, then when I would go to untangle, it would break it off. Since my sides were fine, it took me a while to figure it out.

Since I'm been using the BKT, no frizziness when I sweat, (at least not to the point of making it hard to detangle) so no more breakage. :D

LOL at your "weed" comment. :look:

Thanks Dak! Re: weed comment, when I reread it I thought, oh boy I'm from the islands, so I hope no one thinks I'm cutting up some spliffs with my scissors. lol I truly meant my weeds in my flowerbed. :look::lachen:

Hi Ediese,

A test area is the best way to tell on your hair. My hair wasn't that healthy pre-BKT. I had alot of splits like you mentioned. I think BKT was too much on top of what I already had going on. My strands are already thin and BKT made the damaged hair very straight. Even now I'm glad that I didn't BKT my entire head.

Things I loved - hair was frizz free. That was a HUGE plus. I also have to add that my hair doesn't like relaxers, chemicals, etc.
Try it and let us know. By the way, your hair is gorgeous.

Thanks Yodie! I'll definitely keep you guys updated!

Dove56

Ediese,

I have had excellent results with the BKT. I did my first treatment back in April and it's been non-stop ever since! :) I usually texlax no more than twice a year, this year I texlaxed in March then June. I haven't texlaxed since the 2nd week in June I'm about 24 weeks post now and using the BKT to transition back to my curly hair.

I've had 6 trims this year and I'm STILL retaining so much length! You can check out my results in my Fotki. :)

akgirl

I'm natural. I got it done once a few months ago. It finally wore off and my ends look to be more fried than before. The girl that mentioned a while back that her hair strands look "exploded", I totally know what she meant now. Lots of splits on each hair up the shaft. It wasn't healthy to begin on those sections of my hair anyway. It just looks way worse now. So at this point I can either cut off the bad sections I masked with BKT...or BKT it again. I read somewhere online that a stylist that does them said that they make people dependent upon them so their hair doesn't look unhealthy. I see what she meant now. I don't know how it would look on someone that let it wear off that started with healthy hair though, might be totally fine. PROS: Hair looks shiny and feels great :) People use relaxers a few times a year, so why can't you do the same with BKT? I'm just not doing it again because I'm more in favor of the more natural route now...

Ganjababy

Informative thread. I am hoping to BKT in the spring. I already bought dreamhair. I think I will do a patch test first.

sheba1

Hey there, Akgirl, so sorry to hear of your struggles. I think that's one of the misconceptions about BKT; is that it will save damaged hair. But it can't; nothing can mend splits permanently.

IMO the great thing about BKT is that it will make the damaged portion of hair blend more seamlessly with the healthy portion of your hair so you can trim the damage away gradually. The damage still has to be trimmed away, but now you can do so over time.

I think it's easier to maintain moisture balance on healthy hair that is BKT'd. I think this makes that hair less likely to endure splits that would have been caused in the unhealthy hair that is being trimmed away.

I hope this makes sense because it is quite early in the morn. :yawn:

ryanshope

Great post!! I have been eyeballing BKT on the sneak, but I am still on the fence about it...I don't have split ends, unruly kinks or desire for "straighter" hair---I just want a solution to flat iron my hair with the least amount of damage---and I thought BKT would be a good solution..since it is a keratin treatment to "enhance" hair.

Ediese

I'm natural. I got it done once a few months ago. It finally wore off and my ends look to be more fried than before. The girl that mentioned a while back that her hair strands look "exploded", I totally know what she meant now. Lots of splits on each hair up the shaft. It wasn't healthy to begin on those sections of my hair anyway. It just looks way worse now. So at this point I can either cut off the bad sections I masked with BKT...or BKT it again. I read somewhere online that a stylist that does them said that they make people dependent upon them so their hair doesn't look unhealthy. I see what she meant now. I don't know how it would look on someone that let it wear off that started with healthy hair though, might be totally fine. PROS: Hair looks shiny and feels great :) People use relaxers a few times a year, so why can't you do the same with BKT? I'm just not doing it again because I'm more in favor of the more natural route now...

See thats the thing, from the posts that I've read, if you BKT it will make your damaged hair 'appear' healthy. However, damaged hair is damaged hair. Nothing we do can repair it. So, my thought is that if the BKT can help make my hair more manageable and 'appear' healthier, then why not use it until I get rid of all the damage? If your hair is damaged, cutting it is the only way to rectify that situation.

Personally, I think that people with damage hair that BKT need to understand that their hair will still be damaged after the BKT. They really have two choices. 1) Keep on BKTing, and become dependent on it to give an illusion that they have 'healthy hair'.:rolleyes: Or, 2) go ahead and BKT, and understand that you should be proactive about getting rid of your damage preBKT whether it's gradually trimming or a full out cut.:yep:

Ediese

Hey there, Akgirl, so sorry to hear of your struggles. I think that's one of the misconceptions about BKT; is that it will save damaged hair. But it can't; nothing can mend splits permanently.

IMO the great thing about BKT is that it will make the damaged portion of hair blend more seamlessly with the healthy portion of your hair so you can trim the damage away gradually. The damage still has to be trimmed away, but now you can do so over time.

I think it's easier to maintain moisture balance on healthy hair that is BKT'd. I think this makes that hair less likely to endure splits that would have been caused in the unhealthy hair that is being trimmed away.

I hope this makes sense because it is quite early in the morn. :yawn:

Great post Sheba. Exactly what I was trying to say.:yep:

natstar

Hey Ediese- I just got my weave installed last weekend and BKT (Coppola) was applied to the left out parts (horshoe on top of head, perimeter, nape). The stylist did it so my hair can blend in better with the weave. I have to say that the results are exactly how she said it would be, minimal frizz, looser curl pattern. The front (horseshoe) has always had a looser wavy/frizzy pattern so now it is straight. The nape had tighter curls and now the curls are looser. I have washed 2x since last weekend to note any reversion and I have had none yet.

I guess it will take a while to revert back to my hair so I have to get use to it. It definitely feels smoother/sleeker/still strong. I have washed 2x and have not once applied heat to my hair and get the somewhat smooth/sleek finish. If you are really interested in it, I like ur idea of trying it on the left out parts when u get your straight sew in. Its still really early for me to decide whether its something I want to do on my entire head, but I have a while so I can see how this plays out on my left out hair.

I will pm u when I post pics.

Ediese

Hey Ediese- I just got my weave installed last weekend and BKT (Coppola) was applied to the left out parts (horshoe on top of head, perimeter, nape). The stylist did it so my hair can blend in better with the weave. I have to say that the results are exactly how she said it would be, minimal frizz, looser curl pattern. The front (horseshoe) has always had a looser wavy/frizzy pattern so now it is straight. The nape had tighter curls and now the curls are looser. I have washed 2x since last weekend to note any reversion and I have had none yet.

I guess it will take a while to revert back to my hair so I have to get use to it. It definitely feels smoother/sleeker/still strong. I have washed 2x and have not once applied heat to my hair and get the somewhat smooth/sleek finish. If you are really interested in it, I like ur idea of trying it on the left out parts when u get your straight sew in. Its still really early for me to decide whether its something I want to do on my entire head, but I have a while so I can see how this plays out on my left out hair.

I will pm u when I post pics.

Thanks so much for posting this! I've been trying to figure out if I should wait and do it after the weave is installed, or before. The only thing I don't like about doing it before is that I don't know exactly which parts are going to be left out. I might do the wrong section. lol

I think I'll wait until I get it installed like your stylist. My hair on the left side and top is much looser, so I reckon it'll probably straighten after I apply the BKT. I can't wait to try this out. :yep:

sheba1

Thanks so much for posting this! I've been trying to figure out if I should wait and do it after the weave is installed, or before. The only thing I don't like about doing it before is that I don't know exactly which parts are going to be left out. I might do the wrong section. lol

I think I'll wait until I get it installed like your stylist. My hair on the left side and top is much looser, so I reckon it'll probably straighten after I apply the BKT. I can't wait to try this out. :yep:

I got my install and then BKT'd my leave out hair.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=417562&highlight=

I would say only BKT your leave out hair if it's going to be a very small amount. Otherwise, if you hate the result it's right in the front of your head.

It might be best to BKT some obscure section that's going to be braided up with the rest of your hair. That way, when you take your sew in down you can monitor how it behaves in relation to the rest of your hair that was braided up and tucked away also.

Ediese

I got my install and then BKT'd my leave out hair.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=417562&highlight=

I would say only BKT your leave out hair if it's going to be a very small amount. Otherwise, if you hate the result it's right in the front of your head.

It might be best to BKT some obscure section that's going to be braided up with the rest of your hair. That way, when you take your sew in down you can monitor how it behaves in relation to the rest of your hair that was braided up and tucked away also.

Thanks! I'm going to get a full sew-in with a bang. The only piece that's going to be left out is a small piece at the very top. I would hate to get any breakage, but it'd be okay if it didn't work out right.

Just checked out your thread! Very nice!! How long are you keeping your sew-in? How often are you having to flat iron with the BKT? Does the roots revert/frizz really fast? You left out quite a bit of your real hair, which is definitely long. Looks about the length of the weave.

Last edited:

natstar

Also- to add- she BKT'd my hair before she installed my weave. She sort of visualized it and sectiond off the areas. After she installed it the weave, she did the final step of flat ironed it ( from what I remember)

otegwu

Just wanted to go back to the topic of BKT and damage,

this is the main reason Im trying the bkt, This is because I seem to get spits through my strands, and this is very annoying, I know that its not because of my hair practices as it only happens in one very small section of my head repeatedly(the very front which has no curl pattern, and is wiry) but all the rest of my hair is thriving with no splits! :(

I plan on firstly cutting the damage off, then applying the bkt, to protect my strands from doing this again. I think it will provide a great barrier from any hair damaging elements

But I know damage has to be sorted with first, then hope fully the BKT can work its protective magic :),

(hopefully I will do a post on how it goes)

Vintageglam

Have been following this thread closely and correct me if I am wrong but from what I can gather, it appears that previously relaxed/ processed hair appears to take well to a BKT initially but then for some reasons seems more susceptible to damage, splits etc that are acutally caused by the BKT. Could it be that the previously relaxed hair is in a way getting "double" or "over processed" and that this could also linked to the type of BKT being used. Despite the fact that BKT is mainly composed of Keratin it also contain Formaldehyde or Ethyl Alcohol which could be the culprits of the subsequent damage and further dependency on the BKT to mask the damge that then follows. Would it therefore make sense to BKT relaxed ends less frequently and just focus on non-relaxed / natural hair i.e. for those using it as a means to transition or grow out damaged ends?

I also got to thinking that BKT was not originally made with type 4 hair in mind so it could be that whilst so far it has been promoted for chemically processed type 4 hair that this may be more the experience of stylists in terms of results rather than the long term effects of BKT on type 4 relaxed / chemically treated hair? I suppose that whilst the rupturing of the cuticle caused by relaxers and the like allows the BKT to take better hold, it could in actual fact be taking hold too well?

Anyway I hope my ramblings are making sense to you ladies?

Just a few thoughts so ladies please let me know what you think?:perplexed

Last edited: