Naturals without much shrinkage

Is major shrinkage apart of the natural package?

• Yes

Votes: 165 66.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • It depends

Votes: 74 30.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I've come to the conclusion that shrinkage has more to do with strand size than curl size. Fine hair will shrink the most because there's no weight to it. Heavier strands will hang more. My hair is fine and no matter how long it gets it will not hang much longer than apl in it's curly state (and that's on a good day, lol). My siggy is naked dry un-manipulated hair....my was hip-length in that pic.

Someone with a similar hair type to me but with normal size strands will probably have more hang time.

BlackMasterPiece

Naturals without much shrinkage are the 3b's and lower, their natural texture has alot of hang and they "show" a substantial amount of their length even when shrunken. However, if you're part of the majority, and you're a type 4, your hair can potentially have 70% shrinkage. I'm MBL and my two-strand twists shrink to shoulder length, I'll be waistlength(straightened) before I can expect APL twists shrunken. For me thats a part of being natural.

I think if you're only able to consider transitioning "conditionally" like only if you have a looser texture, then I think you're probably not ready to transition to being natural. When you're ready to explore and embrace your own unique texture and see it as a blessing no matter how tightly coily it is, then I think you'll be ready to make that move.