NATURUALS- Need help advising a cousin

ThinNnappy

Ok-My cousin says he cant get his afro past 3/4 inches, he notices my newgrowth, hes askin my how much can he get in 1 month-but hes also tellin me he donsent want to be usin all the products and vitamins i do because its alittle girlie-so i was like let me just write you a schedule, but im not natural-and realized i cant advise him on products-so heres what im going to tell him-please tweek it

Everyday
-Vitamins: multivitamin, and bee pollen
-Hair moisture: a lotion, but i dont know if it should be water based like me or oil based since he doesnt have a perm
-Hair oil after: maybe an oil sheen, something that will work and not be "girly"

Every other day
-hair grease w/sulfur-sulfur 8, doogro,

1x a aweek
-Wash his hair
shampoo (gonna try to find a ph balanced, for dry hair, but clarifying poo)
-conditoner-Gonna say Mane-N-Tail, so he doesnt have to do a seperate cond. or treatment for protein
-and then just moisture and oil

What cha think, to simple, not right for natural hair
TIA

scorpian

ThinNnappy said:
Ok-My cousin says he cant get his afro past 3/4 inches, he notices my newgrowth, hes askin my how much can he get in 1 month-but hes also tellin me he donsent want to be usin all the products and vitamins i do because its alittle girlie-so i was like let me just write you a schedule, but im not natural-and realized i cant advise him on products-so heres what im going to tell him-please tweek it

Everyday
-Vitamins: multivitamin, and bee pollen
-Hair moisture: a lotion, but i dont know if it should be water based like me or oil based since he doesnt have a perm
-Hair oil after: maybe an oil sheen, something that will work and not be "girly"

Every other day
-hair grease w/sulfur-sulfur 8, doogro,

1x a aweek
-Wash his hair
shampoo (gonna try to find a ph balanced, for dry hair, but clarifying poo)
-conditoner-Gonna say Mane-N-Tail, so he doesnt have to do a seperate cond. or treatment for protein
-and then just moisture and oil

What cha think, to simple, not right for natural hair
TIA

My son has a thick afro that grows like crazy.He is 11 His routine is very simple.
He rinses it every night (his hair loves water) while he is in the shower and every other night he'll use a conditioner to rinse it.Any V05 cond or Herbal essences replenshing cond(pink bottle) I only make him use shampoo (Cream of nature moisturizing poo)after he gets the fro cut down which is usually once every two weeks.
I don't put anything on his scalp.He takes a childrens multivitamin daily along with 1tsp of cold liquid flax oil
every morning he sprays it with a spray bottle that has Rosewater(optional),Distilled water,castor oil,dab of glycerin,tsp of any moisturizing conditioner.
If the water bottle isn't handy he'll put any creamy leave in cond nearby in it to soften it and pick it out.
He picks out his fro and pats it and that's it for the day
Very simple and his hair grows.When school started in Sept it was brush length.By Nov it was a thick fro' His growth has inspired me so much that I am now natural. I was in awe at how simple his routine is and how fast his hair grows. I cut all of my hair down to brush length a few days ago and I am hoping to catch up to him and rock my fro' for the summer. :)

TropicalRose

wht ive seen with alot of men is that they do absolutely nothing to it and they keep it in braids and twists...

find a good moisterizer and conditioner. i use the vo5 (99 cent) conditioners and some times the organic root stimulator shea butter. i dont put tons of things in my hair, nor do i take vitamins and it seems as if i have regular growth

he could have constant breakage or maybe slow growing hair? i dont know

i also condition wash every morning. i shampoo at least once a week and brush my hair when ever i shampoo. when im in twists, i condition and shampoo once every week i have them in. people do things differently so you may get different suggestions

carameldiva

ita with what the other ladies said. I simply cowash with alberto v05 conditioners or trader joe's conditioners or saloncare conditioner(sally's), rinse and spray with my homemade spritz(lil glycerin, water, honey, liquid aloe vera) but simple glycerin and water will work, finger comb and go. I shampoo 2x a week and i always pre-poo with castor oil/honey. I also deep condition w/ heat one of those times. I'm using more natural products these days so he may be interested in using liquid castile soap as a shampoo. I get a bottle (16 oz) for $2.99) at trader joe's. Hope this helps. I also take a multivitamin, flaxseed oil, evening primrose oil, bee pollen, alfalfa, vitamin e and b-12.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
Order a sample pack from Qhemet or try myhoneychild's buttery soy creme. Qhemet products were the first ones that worked for me after I went natural. He will get softness w/o stickiness and no girly fragrance. :)

dimpalz

I grew my little brothers hair out a couple of years ago because I wanted him to have some style (lol, he looks good now tho, way past shoulder) and for the longest while it didnt seem like it was growing, no i'm sure it wasnt growing. It was like that for a couple of months, then it grew like wildfire! I didnt touch his scalp, he just did wat he pleased with it. I think perhaos it's the hairs lifecycle, like from the 10 years of cutting it just expected to stop at a point but once it "realised" it wasnt being cut (if im making sense) it carried on. Besides that there are the 3 stages: growth, rest and shedding, but i dont think its necessarily in that order. Perhaps he needs to just wait a bit.

BTW I couldnt help but put a picture up of all my good work :grin:

Attachments

• new camera (5)edit.JPG
    new camera (5)edit.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 6